Former Baylor coach Art Briles hired to coach Guelfi Firenze football team in Italy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Former Baylor coach Art Briles has a new gig, and it's in a rather unorthodox place.

Briles will coach the Guelfi Firenze American Football team -- an Italian team located in Florence -- according to a release from the organization.

"I am grateful to be back on the field coaching football, and doing what I love. Jan and I are excited to arrive in Italy for this new opportunity," Briles said. "I will work tirelessly to make Guelfi Firenze a title contender."

Briles was dismissed as Baylor's head coach amid a massive sexual assault scandal that hit the football program and included several players on the Bears roster. Briles looked back at the circumstances surrounding his dismissal and didn't necessarily own up to what went down within his program.

"I would have done more if I had known more," he said. "When these allegations came out, we found out at the same time you did. I had a meeting with the [Baylor] Board of Regents where I made suggestions that I never had the chance to fulfill; it would have been similar in the NFL that handles the discipline problems that took it out of the football coaches' hands."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-coach-guelfi-firenze-football-team-in-italy/

Go Gophers!!

I for one hope that if there does come a day when the Big 12 conference dissolves or loses a lot of key schools, that Baylor is left on outside of the power conference structure.

I for one hope that if there does come a day when the Big 12 conference dissolves or loses a lot of key schools, that Baylor is left on outside of the power conference structure.

That's a fun thought exercise....

Baylor: Independent
Iowa State: B1G
Kansas: B1G
Kansas State: B1G
Oklahoma: SEC
Oklahoma State: SEC
TCU: American
Texas: SEC
Texas Tech: American
West Virginia: SEC

Other Changes:
Rutgers & Maryland=>ACC
Notre Dame=>B1G

ACC: 14 (Notre Dame non-football)=>16
American: 12=>14
B1G: 14=>16 (West: Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois; East: NW, Notre Dame, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue) Play all championship games/tournaments in Chicago. Play 7 games against your division, 2 cross-over.
PAC: 12=>12
SEC: 14=>18 (West: Texas, OK, OK State, Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Miss State; East: Alabama, Vandy, Florida, SC, WV, Georgia, TN, KY, Auburn)

They earned it that's for sure.

That's a fun thought exercise....

Baylor: Independent
Iowa State: B1G
Kansas: B1G
Kansas State: B1G
Oklahoma: SEC
Oklahoma State: SEC
TCU: American
Texas: SEC
Texas Tech: American
West Virginia: SEC

Other Changes:
Rutgers & Maryland=>ACC
Notre Dame=>B1G

ACC: 14 (Notre Dame non-football)=>16
American: 12=>14
B1G: 14=>16 (West: Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois; East: NW, Notre Dame, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue) Play all championship games/tournaments in Chicago. Play 7 games against your division, 2 cross-over.
PAC: 12=>12
SEC: 14=>18 (West: Texas, OK, OK State, Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Miss State; East: Alabama, Vandy, Florida, SC, WV, Georgia, TN, KY, Auburn)

In that scenario, Baylor would probably end up in the American with TCU, Texas Tech, SMU, Rice, and Houston, all of the teams from the old Southwest Conference minus Texas and Texas A&M. (though it's not a certainty that Rice would be invited, or that Texas Tech and TCU would willingly "downgrade" to the American and rejoin with those schools)

That would be an ideal place for them.

Though your conference swapping theory is mildly entertaining, it makes no sense for the B1G in any way to add ISU, KU, and KSU. What a money losing venture. They want a bigger TV footprint. That doesn’t do it. Adding almost any other P5 school makes more sense than those 3 dogs.

Though your conference swapping theory is mildly entertaining, it makes no sense for the B1G in any way to add ISU, KU, and KSU. What a money losing venture. They want a bigger TV footprint. That doesn’t do it. Adding almost any other P5 school makes more sense than those 3 dogs.

Which other P5 schools would be available to consider? No SEC or ACC (including Notre Dame) teams are legally allowed to switch to the Big Ten. It could only be teams from the Big 12 or the Pac-12. Geographically speaking, unless you want to stretch the conference down to Oklahoma/Texas or out to the West ... what other choice is there? West Virginia could work, but doesn't meet the academic requirements.

Top Bottom