STrib: Scott Bell Leaves for Maple Leaf Scouting Position

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...es-to-become-scout-for-maple-leafs/489921811/

When faced with the option of a contract expiring next spring or leaving for a multi-year deal, Scott Bell opted for longer job security.

Bell, a Gophers assistant men’s hockey coach last season and former team captain, has left the program to join the scouting staff of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs. Bell was retained as an assistant when new head coach Bob Motzko was hired to replace Don Lucia in late March, but Bell’s contract with the Gophers ran only through the 2018-19 season.

“There was a lot of uncertainty with Bob coming in, and he never expressed to me that I’d be there going forward,’’ said Bell, 47. “NHL teams found that out, and I had a few teams show some interest...

...The interest in Bell from NHL didn't catch Motzko off-guard.

"It's not a surprise that he had a handful of teams coming after him,'' Motzko said. "He was an excellent scout for Pittsburgh, and he's a big-time recruiter. It's a great opportunity for him, and obviously we wish him the best.''

Bell’s departure creates an opening on Motzko’s staff. The new coach didn’t retain associate head coach Mike Guentzel, who like Bell interviewed for the Gophers head coaching job. Motzko filled one assistant job with his former St. Cloud State assistant Garrett Raboin. Motzko said he'll take his time in filling the position.

Any news on replacement candidates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom