More Info on Urban Meyers

First Urban Meyer and now Urban Meyers! Who’s next?

Did a little digging on Mr. O'Keefe and found that he is not above doing some creative editing to make sound bites seem worse than they actually are. Not defending Urban here, but I will wait for more definitive information than something called Project Veritas provides before calling for his head.

Did a little digging on Mr. O'Keefe and found that he is not above doing some creative editing to make sound bites seem worse than they actually are. Not defending Urban here, but I will wait for more definitive information than something called Project Veritas provides before calling for his head.

These are live videos, not actors or something. A lot of folks don't like Veritas because of the topics they pursue (e.g., going inside the Democrat campaigns) so you'll find a lot of attacks on them, but it's live video. There's no way I'd let my kid go to a program being run by Urban. And yes, there's been a lot of previous articles where others have interviewed Florida players about their days there with Urban and the same issues have been discussed, this is the first time I've seen videos of the interviews though.

Project Veritas is a hyper-conservative propaganda machine, seeking (like others such as Brietbart, et al) to shift American politics radically to the right.

I refuse to click on the link, or watch the video.

You all are free to do as you please.

Project Veritas is a hyper-conservative propaganda machine, seeking (like others such as Brietbart, et al) to shift American politics radically to the right.

There’s nothing wrong with having a political viewpoint and exposing corruption and corrupt people which they have been pretty effective at. There have been instances of editing and removing context but that is no different than the evening news or the Star Trib.

Personally I think we need exposure of voting fraud, etc.

As far as this video, I think it’s pretty much a nothingburger. Football is an inherently violent game played by aggressive, tough individuals. The choking, etc seems more like special forces training than football practice but it’s one of those things that may have been exaggerated a bit. I seriously doubt Urban is trying to injure his players.

There’s nothing wrong with having a political viewpoint and exposing corruption and corrupt people which they have been pretty effective at. There have been instances of editing and removing context but that is no different than the evening news or the Star Trib.

Personally I think we need exposure of voting fraud, etc.

As far as this video, I think it’s pretty much a nothingburger. Football is an inherently violent game played by aggressive, tough individuals. The choking, etc seems more like special forces training than football practice but it’s one of those things that may have been exaggerated a bit. I seriously doubt Urban is trying to injure his players.

There are not videos of it because most likley it is not as widespread or as common as you might think....

Last edited:

There are not videos of it because most likley it is not as widespread or as common as you might think....

I never said it was widespread. I do think there are a lack of safeguards that are potentially exploitable.

The point of my comment is exposing bad actors on any side of the political spectrum is always a good thing if done with integrity and fairness. The media really struggle with this, in general. There’s a lot to expose.

I question their tactics. They are scripting their narratives to fit their hidden agendas.

I hope that people doing the investigation are of sound objective minds and base their decisions on real credible facts.

That's my favorite response to news these days. That story can't say what I want, so I refuse to read it. What happened to reading stories critically and then deciding what to think?

That's my favorite response to news these days. That story can't say what I want, so I refuse to read it. What happened to reading stories critically and then deciding what to think?

Oh by all means, someone feel free to copy & paste or type out the gist of the video in their own words, on here. Then I'll have a read and maybe comment.

But I refuse to give a click, view, etc. to their propaganda material, on their site. No more than me refusing to walk into a storefront selling radical political t-shirts is me refusing to considerate and thoughtful of that radical agenda.

These are live videos, not actors or something. A lot of folks don't like Veritas because of the topics they pursue (e.g., going inside the Democrat campaigns) so you'll find a lot of attacks on them, but it's live video. There's no way I'd let my kid go to a program being run by Urban. And yes, there's been a lot of previous articles where others have interviewed Florida players about their days there with Urban and the same issues have been discussed, this is the first time I've seen videos of the interviews though.

Urban's systematic player abuse at Florida may very well have happened. I'm just not prepared to go all in based on this video. FWIW, Stephen Gordon, who is credited with this piece, is a big Bama backer according to his Twitter account so that raises some red flags. As hungan articulated quite well, these pieces start with a narrative to fit an agenda.

Could change things a bit if she really did get paid for releasing the information.

Could change things a bit if she really did get paid for releasing the information.

As mentioned in the other thread by a poster, Meyer has released a statement on his Twitter saying he DID report the 2015 incident. He simply used poor word choice at the media event, as he wasn't prepared to discuss that topic.

Starting to seem more and more to me like a McMurphy witch hunt ...

As mentioned in the other thread by a poster, Meyer has released a statement on his Twitter saying he DID report the 2015 incident. He simply used poor word choice at the media event, as he wasn't prepared to discuss that topic.

Starting to seem more and more to me like a McMurphy witch hunt ...

This all pretty much unfolded the way it did because of Meyers' denial...

This all pretty much unfolded the way it did because of Meyers' denial...

You can look at it that way, but it wasn't a thing until McMurphy's Facebook post, citing interviews with the wife who said this, that, and the other.

You can look at it that way, but it wasn't a thing until McMurphy's Facebook post, citing interviews with the wife who said this, that, and the other.

Look at it that way?!?

If Meyer had either acknowledged he knew and followed the prescribed reporting process (like he just did), or stated he was not at liberty to discuss private/internal university personnel matters, there's no story. He did not do either.

Look at it that way?!?

If Meyer had either acknowledged he knew and followed the prescribed reporting process (like he just did), or stated he was not at liberty to discuss private/internal university personnel matters, there's no story. He did not do either.

If McMurphy doesn't decide to interview the wife and then make a Facebook post accusing Meyer of being a liar and covering up for a domestic abuser, there is no story.

Chicken or egg.

If McMurphy doesn't decide to interview the wife and then make a Facebook post accusing Meyer of being a liar and covering up for a domestic abuser, there is no story.

Chicken or egg.

You're having a difficult time on this thread. Might be good to take a breather.

Wow - Just think of the legal ramifications on the freedom of the press with all these type of attacks by Veritas and others, and purveyors of "fake news".

The free press is the vanguard of our American Democracy. But they have a responsibility of objective reporting. Many in the Press may have gone too far to the left or to the right. Sooner or later, there will be a Supreme Court Case on "Fake News" reporting.

Just so we're all clear of where we're at.

Meyer fires Zach Smith one day before Big 10 media days. Then during the actual media day press conference, he states he didn't know anything about the 2015 incident and that he doesn't know why anybody would "make something like that up."

Then Brett McMurphy writes/posts a scathing expose that details Zach Smith's problems, complete with text messages and statements from Courtney Smith.

A few hours later, Ohio State freaks and places Meyer on administrative leave.

A day later, Meyer cops to knowledge of the 2015 incident and claims the press conference was all one big whoopsie (because he wasn't ready for questions or something).

In other words, we know at least one time in this saga that Meyer has admittedly and definitively lied, but claims it really wasn't a lie because, again, whoopsie.

Other than that, nobody has any idea of where things really are at.

Am I missing anything?

Just so we're all clear of where we're at.

Meyer fires Zach Smith one day before Big 10 media days. Then during the actual media day press conference, he states he didn't know anything about the 2015 incident and that he doesn't know why anybody would "make something like that up."

Then Brett McMurphy writes/posts a scathing expose that details Zach Smith's problems, complete with text messages and statements from Courtney Smith.

A few hours later, Ohio State freaks and places Meyer on administrative leave.

A day later, Meyer cops to knowledge of the 2015 incident and claims the press conference was all one big whoopsie (because he wasn't ready for questions or something).

In other words, we know at least one time in this saga that Meyer has admittedly and definitively lied, but claims it really wasn't a lie because, again, whoopsie.

Other than that, nobody has any idea of where things really are at.

Am I missing anything?

Yes. A big one:

Because Meyer has effectively taken the failure to report angle off the table, there is no way for OSU to fire him for cause. That means they would owe him $40 million, if they terminated his contract.

You think there’s any way in heck that OSU is going to eat $40M just to get rid of a a championship winning coach that weren’t planning to let go at the start of this week?

Zero chance.

Top Bottom