Gopher Athletics Announces New Tailgate Options

Honestly, tailgating the dome back in the day has been light years better than anything at the stadium. It is sad really. The U needs to get their heads out of there asses and let the students party. Its really not hard.

Maybe a cheaper alternative is to shut down University Avenue between SE 17th Ave and SE 23rd Ave during part of game days. Make that stretch of University Avenue a tailgating area. The trouble is, they may have to reconfigure traffic patterns momentarily during game days.

Only time I will ever say this, but we need to pave paradise and put up a god damn parking lot. If I won the lottery tomorrow, im buying thos stupid grain elevators that are by and large obsolete, and putting in a large parking lot and opening it to gopher tailgaters. And if anyone wears red they are not allowed in.

Only time I will ever say this, but we need to pave paradise and put up a god damn parking lot. If I won the lottery tomorrow, im buying thos stupid grain elevators that are by and large obsolete, and putting in a large parking lot and opening it to gopher tailgaters. And if anyone wears red they are not allowed in.

You'd want to designate some areas for rival tailgaters. That's what make rivalries great. We want to travelling fans. Besides, I would think Husker, Badger, and Hawkeye fans drop a few buckos while in town. Fandome is declining everywhere with all the options people have electronically. We want them to have reasons to come.

Maybe a cheaper alternative is to shut down University Avenue between SE 17th Ave and SE 23rd Ave during part of game days. Make that stretch of University Avenue a tailgating area. The trouble is, they may have to reconfigure traffic patterns momentarily during game days.

Lack of space is really not the issue.

Where there is tailgating, it is fun. This discussion has come up many times and it sure seems like many of those who complain how bad it is get to the game 20 minutes or less before kick-off and leave early (not directed at you). Same group that complains about the security lines and traffic. I don't get it, I just don't get it.

The solution to our tailgating problem is not rocket science. Take several of the prime lots near the stadium, open them up first come first serve for about 40 bucks a spot. Then, they are filled by those excited enough about tailgating to show up early, and there is a party.

I have been to roughly 16 of the biggest college football campuses for games, and If you really want to see a phenomenal tailgate experience, look no further than PSU, UGA, and South Carolina. Pay me and I'll make Minnesota a better overall experience just from my travels.

The solution to our tailgating problem is not rocket science. Take several of the prime lots near the stadium, open them up first come first serve for about 40 bucks a spot. Then, they are filled by those excited enough about tailgating to show up early, and there is a party.

They could also work with the city to allow private lots around the stadium offer tailgating. Several were doing it during the first year of the new stadium, and the were shut down. But it would add to the atmosphere around the stadium.

Open up the Mall to tailgate
Provide U of M staffed fire pits starting mid October @ EVERY LOT, Middle of campus. I can't give away mid November tix if forecast says 30 degrees or colder with sunny skies.

I was at Notre Dame versus USC in South Bend last Fall and it was amazing how accommodating the school was to all of the fans. You could go ANYWHERE with a beer in your hand. In fact it was encouraged.

So this might be off-topic but I don't have time to read 3 pages of this right now.

My wife and I went to Oregon to see the Gophers stomp OSU. We were bored so we drove to Eugene for the Nebraska vs Oregon game. Had no plans, figured we'd find a bar or something. We park, and realize there is this huge fan zone area. TVs galore, food!, BEER!!! and a ton of people. 1000s. All of them spending $$$$$ to eat, drink and hang out in this designated area. It was for a charity or something, I'm sure. Beers were $4-5, food was similarly priced for hot dogs, burgers, etc, TVs were free to watch. Fans huddled around TVs watching games, drinking beer, hanging out. Husker fans, Ducks fans, us two Gopher fans. Was an absolute blast AND awesome for fans who don't have a tailgate spot/group/etc. There was a lot of tailgating as well, we got invited to a few Nebraska tailgates as we wandered around, but this was cool for us because we weren't imposing.

This is what I thought the thread was, it isn't, which is too bad.

So this might be off-topic but I don't have time to read 3 pages of this right now.

My wife and I went to Oregon to see the Gophers stomp OSU. We were bored so we drove to Eugene for the Nebraska vs Oregon game. Had no plans, figured we'd find a bar or something. We park, and realize there is this huge fan zone area. TVs galore, food!, BEER!!! and a ton of people. 1000s. All of them spending $$$$$ to eat, drink and hang out in this designated area. It was for a charity or something, I'm sure. Beers were $4-5, food was similarly priced for hot dogs, burgers, etc, TVs were free to watch. Fans huddled around TVs watching games, drinking beer, hanging out. Husker fans, Ducks fans, us two Gopher fans. Was an absolute blast AND awesome for fans who don't have a tailgate spot/group/etc. There was a lot of tailgating as well, we got invited to a few Nebraska tailgates as we wandered around, but this was cool for us because we weren't imposing.

Sounds awesome. Was the fan zone area you describe something that was run by the U of Oregon? Or did some private company run it?

They are doing this at a lot of schools now. This is not a Minnesota thing. I don't see how this is a negative. It will either work and people will do it or it won't work and they won't sell the slots.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Agree with you Rugger. Not something I would use but it’s a good idea to have it for those with the cash who just want to chill without any effort.

U already does something similar indoors at the Ulumni Center. I agree that they could expand it to the outdoor area weather permitting. They should also move the marching band pregame event from in front of the big gates to the outdoor area of the alumni center.

Oregon State was fun, even with the rain...felt like a home game after half-time. We complain about our fair weather fans...could not believe how many OSU fans came in during the 1st qtr and were gone after halftime.

It's not necessarily a bad thing for those people who want it, it's just not a good solution at all to the demands for tailgating,

This seems like a corporate type event thing .... do we even get that much of those?

Word has it they've struggled to fill the club level and boxes at times..... so sell... more?

Seems like a good start but I'd take it further.

Shut down that area and have the team buses drive down that street on their way to the stadium but make it a parade with the marching band, cheerleaders, Goldy, etc.

Open up Mariucci or the Barn for an official indoor tailgate that is open to the public but no food or drinks allowed that sells food and drinks inside for somewhat lower prices than at the stadium. Have entertainment such as the marching band, a recorded or livestreamed talk from coach Fleck, head coaches of other sports in attendance, etc.

Turn all of the surface lots around the stadium into tailgating lots. Have people who just want to park do so in a ramp, on the St. Paul campus, or at a park and ride along the light rail.

Make it a place where people want to show up hours early to hang out and where they can do so inexpensively.

And if they still want to cater to people with big pockets they can do that too. This idea itself isn't bad, it's just bad when it's the only improvement to the gameday experience. If they added this to an already great atmosphere, people wouldn't really care. This just shows how out of touch they are with the average fan.

The traffic reroute would be a huge logistical challenge and it would not be momentary...if they applied the same rules as the tailgate lots, it would be shut down for a minimum of ten hours. Even if they shortened the time, it would have to be shutdown 7-8 hours to make it worthwhile and bookend the game. Also would all but cut off access to a couple large parking ramps and limit the entry points into others I believe.

Today Texas announces changes to their gameday tailgating atmosphere. Compare and contrast this vs. what the U of MN just announced.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/8/7/bevo-blvd-starts-brand-new-tailgating-tradition-for-football-fans.aspx

This season, the west exterior of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium takes on a new feel as San Jacinto Blvd. from 20th St. to the Etter-Harbin Alumni Center is completely transformed into Bevo Blvd., an action-filled pregame street party. Named after Texas' iconic mascot, Bevo Blvd. opens five hours prior to kickoff on gamedays with Texas-sized fun for Longhorns fans of all ages.

"Our staff has worked hard to bring the Bevo Blvd. concept to life with the goal of providing our fans with a place to go for exciting pregame action that features many of our outstanding Texas traditions," said Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris Del Conte. "Our goal is to have the best gameday atmosphere in the country, and Bevo Blvd. is a big step in that direction."

Join thousands of fellow Longhorns fans, the Longhorn Band, Texas Cheer & Pom and Hook 'Em for the pageantry of Texas-sized events celebrating gameday on the Forty Acres.

Celebrate Bevo's arrival with a street parade 3-1/2 hours prior to kickoff at the south entrance to Bevo Blvd. (San Jacinto Blvd. and E. 20th St.)
Greet the Football team for the Stadium Stampede 2-1/2 hours prior to kickoff at the north entrance to Bevo Blvd. (San Jacinto Blvd. and DeLoss Dodds Way)
Dine on the finest food truck flavors in Austin with different vendors each gameday
Enjoy happy hour pricing* on Bevo Blvd. including $5 16-oz. domestic beers, $6 16-oz. premium beers and $5 wine spritzers
Watch some of the best college football from around the Big 12 Conference and nation on giant LED screens in two locations
The official Texas Football pregame radio show on 104.9 The Horn broadcasts live from their set along Bevo Blvd.
Interactive games, photo ops with Texas traditions, and activities for fans of all ages
Autographs from select Texas Longhorns teams and coaches
Exclusive officially licensed Texas merchandise from a variety of best-in-class brands
"The fan experience is critical to the success of our mission to fill every seat every game at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium and create an atmosphere that helps our coaches and student-athletes win games," Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Affairs Drew Martin said. "I am excited that we are able to bring a central, public tailgate for all Longhorns fans directly adjacent to the stadium, and I am confident fans will be excited to return week after week to put their full energy behind the burnt orange and white."

Bevo Blvd. is free for all fans. No game ticket is required! All activities and timeline subject to change.

Today Texas announces changes to their gameday tailgating atmosphere. Compare and contrast this vs. what the U of MN just announced.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/8/7/bevo-blvd-starts-brand-new-tailgating-tradition-for-football-fans.aspx

This season, the west exterior of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium takes on a new feel as San Jacinto Blvd. from 20th St. to the Etter-Harbin Alumni Center is completely transformed into Bevo Blvd., an action-filled pregame street party. Named after Texas' iconic mascot, Bevo Blvd. opens five hours prior to kickoff on gamedays with Texas-sized fun for Longhorns fans of all ages.

"Our staff has worked hard to bring the Bevo Blvd. concept to life with the goal of providing our fans with a place to go for exciting pregame action that features many of our outstanding Texas traditions," said Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris Del Conte. "Our goal is to have the best gameday atmosphere in the country, and Bevo Blvd. is a big step in that direction."

Join thousands of fellow Longhorns fans, the Longhorn Band, Texas Cheer & Pom and Hook 'Em for the pageantry of Texas-sized events celebrating gameday on the Forty Acres.

Celebrate Bevo's arrival with a street parade 3-1/2 hours prior to kickoff at the south entrance to Bevo Blvd. (San Jacinto Blvd. and E. 20th St.)
Greet the Football team for the Stadium Stampede 2-1/2 hours prior to kickoff at the north entrance to Bevo Blvd. (San Jacinto Blvd. and DeLoss Dodds Way)
Dine on the finest food truck flavors in Austin with different vendors each gameday
Enjoy happy hour pricing* on Bevo Blvd. including $5 16-oz. domestic beers, $6 16-oz. premium beers and $5 wine spritzers
Watch some of the best college football from around the Big 12 Conference and nation on giant LED screens in two locations
The official Texas Football pregame radio show on 104.9 The Horn broadcasts live from their set along Bevo Blvd.
Interactive games, photo ops with Texas traditions, and activities for fans of all ages
Autographs from select Texas Longhorns teams and coaches
Exclusive officially licensed Texas merchandise from a variety of best-in-class brands
"The fan experience is critical to the success of our mission to fill every seat every game at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium and create an atmosphere that helps our coaches and student-athletes win games," Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Affairs Drew Martin said. "I am excited that we are able to bring a central, public tailgate for all Longhorns fans directly adjacent to the stadium, and I am confident fans will be excited to return week after week to put their full energy behind the burnt orange and white."

Bevo Blvd. is free for all fans. No game ticket is required! All activities and timeline subject to change.

Seems good.

Top Bottom