The Athletic: What Whalen and Reeves Talk About in Those Pre-game meetings

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://theathletic.com/456129/2018...eeve-lynx-pregame-chats-what-they-talk-about/

Tyler Mason:

With around 81 minutes to go before gametime, Minnesota’s veteran point guard runs out to the center of the court. That’s where Whalen joins in a tradition that began as a bit of a superstition and has continued as an essential routine — she meets head coach Cheryl Reeve for their pregame chat that has proven invaluable for the duo.

The topics of their discussions range widely, from talks about what each had for dinner the night before to questions about each other’s families. Whalen may ask Reeve about her mom if it’s a city where the coach’s mother might be attending the game. Current events occasionally make the cut for conversation. Laughing and smiling is commonplace.

Whatever is discussed outside of basketball, these meetings always eventually evolve into deeper conversations about the game plan for that particular night...

...Now the question for Whalen will be whether or not she has similar pregame pep talks with her point guards as the coach at the University of Minnesota. Whalen is entering her first season coaching her alma mater and knows it will be important to have a strong rapport with the Gopher point guards.

As much as Reeve has taught Whalen over the years, she’s also offered some advice on the future of these pregame talks.

“It’s so organic. I’ve told this to Lindsay from the get-go. You have to be yourself,” Reeve said. “I know she’ll have a relationship with her point guards, but it might show itself in a different way. I think that’s the most important thing is she’s not trying to recreate anything. The most special things come in the most organic way, and she knows that. I suspect that’ll be true over there with the Gophers.”

Top Bottom