Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Italy Trip 2018

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/8...-florence.aspx

TK Hannover went back ahead at 63-61 with 1:45 to go and held that lead until senior Annalese Lamke converted on a pair of free throws with just 29 seconds remaining. With just 5.2 seconds remaining, the Gophers' defense stepped up and forced a five-second violation as TKH was unable to inbound the ball in their front court.

That set the stage for Pitts' heroics. Thanks to a screen from Lamke, Pitts was able to get past her defender and into the lane to put up the game-winning runner.

Pitts led Minnesota with 16 points, while Lamke and Bello also reached double figures with 10 points each. Brunson and freshman Mercedes Staples both scored nine points, junior Gadiva Hubbard contributed five points, senior Kenisha Bell added four and junior Kehinde Bello rounded out the scoring with two points.

Coach Thibault, a few highlights and Destiny talks about the final play.

Who gets credit for the wins in Italy? Acting head coaches or Whalen?

They don't count. Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by thatjanelpick View Post
    They don't count. Does it matter?
    Was just curious. Did I upset you?

Blog Entries

IMHO, it appears that we may have a developing star in Mercedes Staples. Are we ready to give her the nickname, "Mercedes Benz" yet?

I am looking forward to seeing how Lindsay Whalen develops players, point guards in particular.
    Last edited by hungan1; Yesterday at 11:04 AM.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali

I'm uninformed and curious....does anyone know if they are using a shot clock in these games? The Gophers have been "held" to lower point totals in the two games and I'm wondering if that's due to the lack of a shot clock or a change in style. (I'm sure the fact that Bell didn't play in the first game and apparently didn't play much in the second game also impacted the tempo of these games.) Don't want to overanalyze two exhibition games, but I'm wondering what we can expect with the new coaching regime. I loved the tempo and the offensive confidence of Stollings' teams, even though I sometimes thought that the post players were not included enough in the offense. (That may have had to do with the lack of athleticism in the posts.) Defense under Stollings was a different story. Sometimes non-existent, often lacking, too much zone and not enough man...but improved by the end of the season last year. I'm hoping and almost certain that Whalen's teams will play better defense. I'm also hoping that last year's tempo and offensive firepower will continue, especially with Bell at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    I'm uninformed and curious....does anyone know if they are using a shot clock in these games? The Gophers have been "held" to lower point totals in the two games and I'm wondering if that's due to the lack of a shot clock or a change in style. (I'm sure the fact that Bell didn't play in the first game and apparently didn't play much in the second game also impacted the tempo of these games.) Don't want to overanalyze two exhibition games, but I'm wondering what we can expect with the new coaching regime. I loved the tempo and the offensive confidence of Stollings' teams, even though I sometimes thought that the post players were not included enough in the offense. (That may have had to do with the lack of athleticism in the posts.) Defense under Stollings was a different story. Sometimes non-existent, often lacking, too much zone and not enough man...but improved by the end of the season last year. I'm hoping and almost certain that Whalen's teams will play better defense. I'm also hoping that last year's tempo and offensive firepower will continue, especially with Bell at the point.
    I wouldnt worry much about it, this staff wants to run. I think the lower point totals probably comes from playing everyone on the roster. The last team they played also held dayton to 49 and kentucky to 46.

It's safe to assume that under international rules they used a 24 second clock and the deeper three point line. And it's probably safe to assume that the TK Hannover game was probably a bit physical as you would expect versus a pro team (at least Kentucky mentioned the physicality in their game story).

Compared to Stollings, Whalen really hasn't mentioned much about offense or defensive playing styles. We've only had O'Banion mentioning some different offensive structure. And as Whalenfan said, there's not a lot to take out of friendlies in which everyone plays and we don't see a box score.

Although, Destiny has been a featured player.

I'm glad to see that most of the players have received ample playing time. I'm not really concerned with the results. That being said, it's been nice to see that players like Lamke, T. Bello, Brunson, and Staples have been involved. Am I correct in presuming that Bello has been playing the post or has she played forward? If Bello has been playing the post, it seems that both she and Lamke have impacted the games there. IMO, Pitts could be an all-conference player, possibly even this year. Am anxious to see if her game has improved in the off-season. The fact that she drove to the hoop for the game-winner against TK Hannover is a good sign...means that she doesn't intend to play behind the arc all the time. I know...to much analysis for an exhibition game, but with the early demise of the Twins, I'm desperate to start talking hoops again.

If we are keeping track, those wins or losses, would go towards acting coach. But since its preseason stuff, wins and losses really do not matter. Hopefully the team is developing their chemistry and a little bit of their offensive and defensive systems for the year.