Kasl quitting football

swingman

Reaction score
former Forest Lake star to concentrate on his BioMed Eng degree...was expected to be in two-deep on Badger oline.

Can't have concussions if this is what you want to do.

former Forest Lake star to concentrate on his BioMed Eng degree...was expected to be in two-deep on Badger oline.

Yes, that is WHAT he is going to do now that he decided to quit the football program. Yes, he was the #2 RT, behind David Edwards an all-american RT. Kasl replaced Edwards in the Orange Bowl against Miami for most of the second half last season and played well. However, nobody has yet asked Kasl WHY he quit the football program.

Yes, that is WHAT he is going to do now that he decided to quit the football program. Yes, he was the #2 RT, behind David Edwards an all-american RT. Kasl replaced Edwards in the Orange Bowl against Miami for most of the second half last season and played well. However, nobody has yet asked Kasl WHY he quit the football program.

Urban Meyer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

what are you IMPLYING?

Kasl quit the football program, but not because of academics. He was a 4.0 student in biomedical engineering and he loved the game of football. He quit because he didn't want to risk further brain injury due to additional sub-concussive hits that can lead to CTE. I believe that is what Kasl told coach Chryst, but the media did not ask coach Chryst why Kasl quit and so coach Chryst responded with " Patrick has decided to not play football and he is going to focus on his academics." That tells us what Kasl is doing, but not why he is doing it. The media, however, has turned the what he is doing into why he is doing it. Coach Chryst is probably glad the media didn't confront him directly with the why question and I would be surprised if he issued a clarifying statement so that the media can report the truth. I can understand that brain injury and potential CTE from practicing and playing OL are not something that a football program likes to discuss with the media.

Last edited:

Kasl quit the football program, but not because of academics. He was a 4.0 student in biomedical engineering and he loved the game of football. He quit because he didn't want to risk further brain injury due to additional sub-concussive hits that can lead to CTE. I believe that is what Kasl told coach Chryst, but the media did not ask coach Chryst why Kasl quit and so coach Chryst responded with " Patrick has decided to not play football and he is going to focus on his academics." That tells us what Kasl is doing, but not why he is doing it. The media, however, has turned the what he is doing into why he is doing it. Coach Chryst is probably glad the media didn't confront him directly with the why question and I would be shocked if he issued a clarifying statement so that the media can report the truth. I can understand that brain injury and potential CTE from practicing and playing OL are not something that the football program likes to discuss in public.

If he figures that he likely won't play, or perhaps he doesn't even care about playing at this point, then I salute the young man. He obviously is doing well in the program and is on track to graduate and start his career (or go into graduate school, if that is his desire). And obviously doesn't see any future for himself in professional football.

And obviously understands the immense value of graduating with a degree from a highly respected, Big Ten university. As opposed to transferring to a lesser school, simply for the sake of more playing time in college.

Truly, good for him!

Good for him for finding a passion that is not necessarily football. He has a bright academic future.

Life changing injuries to the brain is very real. Didn't Nick Connelly due to repeated concussions?

If he figures that he likely won't play, or perhaps he doesn't even care about playing at this point, then I salute the young man. He obviously is doing well in the program and is on track to graduate and start his career (or go into graduate school, if that is his desire). And obviously doesn't see any future for himself in professional football.

And obviously understands the immense value of graduating with a degree from a highly respected, Big Ten university. As opposed to transferring to a lesser school, simply for the sake of more playing time in college.

Truly, good for him!

I think that you are missing the point. It is not an issue of playing time in college or the potential of playing in the NFL. If he was interested in continuing to play OT, he would probably get drafted and play in the NFL as he would have likely been the starting RT next season. Take a look at the Orange Bowl last season. Kasl took over for the Badgers all-american RT David Edwards and played almost the whole second half against Miami and played well. However, I think that it is clear now that he no longer wants to play football as an OL. The point is that he has come to the understanding there is a real and significant risk of further brain injury and CTE due to additional sub-concussive hits that occur when playing and practicing on the OL. Without this risk, he would probably still be playing football.

Last edited:

Good for him for finding a passion that is not necessarily football. He has a bright academic future.

Life changing injuries to the brain is very real. Didn't Nick Connelly due to repeated concussions?

Borland, LB from the Badgers ... went to the 49ers for one year and then retired, due to head injury. http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...er-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

I think that you are missing the point. It is not an issue of playing time in college or the potential of playing in the NFL. If he was interested in continuing to play OT, he would probably get drafted and play in the NFL as he would have likely been the starting RT next season. However, that is not what he wants to do. The point is that he has come to the understanding there is a real and significant risk of further brain injury and CTE due to additional sub-concussive hits that occur when playing and practicing on the OL. Without this risk, he would probably still be playing football.

OK. If that's the aspect of the story that you were hoping to see promoted more by the sports media, and are disappointed that it is being overlooked/ignored, then I'm with you! It's a very important issue!

Wonder if he talked to Borland, at all??

Last edited:

Leidner retired from football due to head injury repercussions per Daily Gopher. I think some of these guys end up with pretty terrible ongoing issues. And to think it's in large part for our entertainment....yikes.

Leidner retired from football due to head injury repercussions per Daily Gopher. I think some of these guys end up with pretty terrible ongoing issues. And to think it's in large part for our entertainment....yikes.

Some talking heads already complaining about calls last night for the new helmet rule.

People just don't get it yet. It has nothing to do with being head-to-head. It needs to be "no head, period". Lead with your shoulder. Lead with your shoulder. Lead. with. your. shoulder!

The head needs to be taken completely, and totally, out of football, as much as possible, if the game is going to survive long term.

Some talking heads already complaining about calls last night for the new helmet rule.

People just don't get it yet. It has nothing to do with being head-to-head. It needs to be "no head, period". Lead with your shoulder. Lead with your shoulder. Lead. with. your. shoulder!

The head needs to be taken completely, and totally, out of football, as much as possible, if the game is going to survive long term.

Ten thumbs up! I agree that making significant changes to reduce the number and severity of head impacts is one of the keys for football to thrive, and maybe even survive in the future.

Should one lead with the shoulder and not the crown of the helmet- absolutely. However, head contact in this game will always be unavoidable, whether it be head-head or shoulder-head due to the speed of the game at high levels.

Should one lead with the shoulder and not the crown of the helmet- absolutely. However, head contact in this game will always be unavoidable, whether it be head-head or shoulder-head due to the speed of the game at high levels.

Similarly, it will never be possible to fully prevent facemasks or horse collars. The speed of the game, in the heat of the moment, it still does happen, unintentionally.

And so, that's why you penalize it.

- lead with the head, regardless which part of the opponent you contact, and it should be a penalty
- lead with the head, and contact your opponent's head, and it should be an ejection.

Might seem harsh, but it has to be dealt with very seriously. And it should go for offensive players lowering their heads into the defender, too!!

The answer to the last question is the head can't be taken out of the game and I guess that means that the game has limited future. It is either change the game to a non-contact sport or admit the danger and plow ahead anyways the way boxing has. Either way you lose fans.

I agree, but it goes even further than that. It is the sudden stopping of the head, and the momentum of the brain causing it to smash into the skull (like a blob of jello floating in a fluid). Direct head impacts can cause the brain to stop quicker and cause more damage, but that alone won’t eliminate brain trauma. Protecting the brain is not like protecting a muscle.

Kasl quit the football program, but not because of academics. He was a 4.0 student in biomedical engineering and he loved the game of football. He quit because he didn't want to risk further brain injury due to additional sub-concussive hits that can lead to CTE. I believe that is what Kasl told coach Chryst, but the media did not ask coach Chryst why Kasl quit and so coach Chryst responded with " Patrick has decided to not play football and he is going to focus on his academics." That tells us what Kasl is doing, but not why he is doing it. The media, however, has turned the what he is doing into why he is doing it. Coach Chryst is probably glad the media didn't confront him directly with the why question and I would be shocked if he issued a clarifying statement so that the media can report the truth. I can understand that brain injury and potential CTE from practicing and playing OL are not something that the football program likes to discuss in public.

Is this opinion or did you hear this or read it somewhere? I am just wondering.

I wonder if new types and locations of injuries will surface with the change in the rules. Violent collisions can only be a harbinger of the possibility of other serious injuries.

Is this opinion or did you hear this or read it somewhere? I am just wondering.

This in not my opinion. These are facts from a very reliable source. What is most important here is that Kasl has what sounds like made a good decision to leave the football program and stop the head banging. Good for him!

This in not my opinion. These are facts from a very reliable source. What is most important here is that Kasl has what sounds like made a good decision to leave the football program and stop the head banging. Good for him!
Has Kasl had some recent concussions? Has he been contemplating this for some time?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Time to turn this game into rockem sockem, robots! Take the human body out of the equation. "And Leonard Hofstadter drops back to pass, but is close lined by Howard Wollowitz...or the Wollowizard as he's sometimes known." [emoji458]

Has Kasl had some recent concussions? Has he been contemplating this for some time?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No, it's not an issue with any recent major concussions, it's just an new and better understanding of the real risks of sub-concussive impacts to the head and the potential for CTE. There are lots of newer studies and reports that have come out in the last few years that clearly present some significant risks, with the OL unfortunately being at the greatest risk.

Last edited:

Top Bottom