Gopher interest in Sam Cunliffe

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Confirmed by Jon Rothstein. Kansas transfer would sit one, play 2.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Tait:
According to a source familiar with Cunliffe’s plans, the 6-foot-6, 200-pound guard from Seattle, who made a stop at Arizona State before coming to Kansas, is eyeing a return to the Pac-12 for the final three years of his college career.

The source said Cunliffe has identified the University of Washington as his top choice and added that he is in the process of trying to make the move happen.

Cunliffe, who will sit out the 2018-19 season and have two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2019-20, also has considered Pepperdine and a couple of other programs in the Northwest.

The Huskies had just two seniors on the 2017-18 team that beat KU at Sprint Center last December, but saw those two and four other players leave the program since the end of the 2017-18 season. Three of the four nonseniors left to transfer and four of the six departures were guards.

Washington coach Mike Hopkins was prepared for the departures, lining up a five-man haul in the Class of 2018 that ranked No. 32 in the nation according to Rivals.com to fill the spots. But only one of UW’s five incoming freshmen is a guard and none of the newcomers play Cunliffe’s position.

Therefore, adding Cunliffe, in terms of position and the open scholarship, would make sense, provided the Huskies coaching staff believes he would fit with their program.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2018/jul/31/former-ku-guard-sam-cunliffe-eyeing-wash/

Go Gophers!!

well, we are a little closer to Seattle. we could have an All Bench team for the coming season.

After losing Crandall let’s steal somebody else’s hometown kid. No reason we can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Marcus:

CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein reported Wednesday that Minnesota and Maryland were interested in Kansas transfer Sam Cunliffe, who announced recently he was leaving the Jayhawks.

A source confirmed to the Star Tribune that the U has serious interest in Cunliffe, who has two years remaining but needs to sit this year. The 6-foot-6 former starting wing at Arizona State, though, told the Seattle Times he wanted to be closer to home. The Seattle native is meeting with Washington Huskies soon.

“I’m definitely looking at,” Cunliffe said in the Times article. “I’ll see if I can figure something out with them.”

The Huskies have an open scholarship, but it's not for certain that they take him. If that doesn’t work out Cunliffe could consider other programs like Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-still-looking-for-options-with-last-2018-scholarship/489907001/

Go Gophers!!

I say no, two schools already, more likely sit one play none for the Gophers.

If what he really wants is back in the Pac 12, he'd drop us like a bad habit after his sit-out year.

If what he really wants is back in the Pac 12, he'd drop us like a bad habit after his sit-out year.

and sit another year before he would be able to play? that makes very little sense.

It's the Stockman plan.

Except unlike Stockman, Cunliffe will be a player.

Sounds like Gophers have little to no shot (UWash), but I'd absolutely take him. After Geno, ship has sailed on adding anybody good for upcoming season.

Just saw we are in top 6 and Washington is out of picture. Even though I don’t want 3 players sitting this year it makes sense cause won’t have anyone else to give to this year and this wouldn’t be wasting it as he’s good. But terrible roster management

We should have a shot with these six: Xavier, Grand Canyon, Pepperdine, Fresno State, Evansville and Minnesota.

However, he said it was not necessarily a final list, with the possibility of others being added.

We should have a shot with these six: Xavier, Grand Canyon, Pepperdine, Fresno State, Evansville and Minnesota.

However, he said it was not necessarily a final list, with the possibility of others being added.

You must have missed the earlier thread. Xavier is basically Kentucky.

so he is a SF? I guess if we would be able to get him he would give us some depth at the position for next year behind Coffey & Hurt. and he would give us a vet/transition guy his senior year at the position.

im not sure how I truly feel about this. 3 sit out transfer just seems weird to do (unless we get some good news on Carr for this year, doubtful) I guess we will see how it plays out

and its august 4th. it this isn't his final list he doesn't have a lot of time

so he is a SF? I guess if we would be able to get him he would give us some depth at the position for next year behind Coffey & Hurt. and he would give us a vet/transition guy his senior year at the position.

im not sure how I truly feel about this. 3 sit out transfer just seems weird to do (unless we get some good news on Carr for this year, doubtful) I guess we will see how it plays out

He's listed as a SF, I'm guessing he can play multiple positions and would be used as such, no need for a pure SF that is for sure.

FWIW I'm hearing rumblings around Seattle that Minnesota is the likely landing spot for Sam (who is a VERY good player).

Edited to add my trademarked caveat when making statements like the one above .... "Nothing's in the bag until it's in the bag".

Last edited:

Cunliffe would not be behind Michael Hurt. I’d bet a decent chunk of change he’s starting Game 1 of his Gopher career. This would be a very good addition if Pitino nabs him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

FWIW I'm hearing rumblings around Seattle that Minnesota is the likely landing spot for Sam (who is a VERY good player).

Edited to add my trademarked caveat when making statements like the one above .... "Nothing's in the bag until it's in the bag".

I've similarly heard from someone close to the program that a good visit would probably seal the deal here.

Cunliffe would not be behind Michael Hurt. I’d bet a decent chunk of change he’s starting Game 1 of his Gopher career. This would be a very good addition if Pitino nabs him.

Could be, I know nothing about him but if he could pair up with Coffey on the wing then that might be the case, he's not starting ahead of Coffey.

Good news. Hope he actually suits up for us and is not using as a transfer year resting spot.

Could be, I know nothing about him but if he could pair up with Coffey on the wing then that might be the case, he's not starting ahead of Coffey.

Didn’t say he’d start over Coffey. Said he’d start from Day 1.

I don't pay attention to what other schools do, but does Pitino have more than his share of "unusual" types of recruits? Seems like he's a step behind in trying to establish a balanced roster. Wrong perception, sign of the times, product of the U's status, his inexperience?

Cunliffe was on 5 AAU teams in 3 years and played on 3 high school teams. He’s now on his 3rd college. Tread lightly folks.

Cunliffe was on 5 AAU teams in 3 years and played on 3 high school teams. He’s now on his 3rd college. Tread lightly folks.

Very true. But that's a lot of talent to pass on. Especially if Pitino feels as if he's going to struggle putting a good 2019 class together. I know it's early and the coaching changes didn't help (short term), but 2019 may be a challenge.

Top Bottom