Gopher interest in Sam Cunliffe

I don't pay attention to what other schools do, but does Pitino have more than his share of "unusual" types of recruits? Seems like he's a step behind in trying to establish a balanced roster. Wrong perception, sign of the times, product of the U's status, his inexperience?

May be the times and the recruiting limits at Minnesota, it almost seems like he is building for next year and one last push to land Hurt.

I can understand some of the concerns with Cunliffe, but I really don't think there's a much better use of this scholarship right now. I don't believe that just because Stockman transferred again before ever playing a game here means that this should be a legitimate concern for any other transfer we take on, not to mention that if he were to sit out a year here and then transfer again, he would end up spending 5 years in college and only playing for less than 2 seasons. He does seem to be taking the Zach Lofton journeyman route through high school and college though, so I suppose if there ever were a player who would give up more than half of his college playing career out of an addiction to transferring, it would be this guy.

I would assume pickings are slim for players who could contribute for the 2018-19 season. We're either left reaching on a lowly ranked freshman or praying for a half-decent grad transfer with about a month until school starts. Unless some other really appealing option appears out of nowhere VERY soon for 2018, I just think the roster is essentially set as it is, save for some possibility of Marcus Carr being immediately eligible. I see Cunliffe as effectively being a 2019 recruit, and while I'm not all doom and gloom on 2019 recruiting, it doesn't seem like we have an overabundance of highly rated and very interested recruiting targets. There are a few, but I don't think we'll end up getting 4 2019 freshmen who are better than Cunliffe, so this is a worthwhile use of a scholarship in my opinion. There's a chance it might not work out for us, and there's also a chance he'll end up being a very solid contributor, and I don't know what else we'd be doing with this scholarship if we were to hypothetically turn him down.

On a more lighthearted note, Sam Cunliffe was dead a couple weeks ago.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers following Washington's lead and backing off Cunliffe?
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is it possible Cunliffe is such a similar player as Austin Crowley that one or both parties decided it wasn't a fit (meaning we don't have playing time for both of them, Coffey and Hurt)?

He followed up in the replies suggesting that, if Cunliffe is considering mid-majors, then lots of playing time might be important, and that with Coffey, Hurt, and Kalscheur at the 2 and 3, big minutes might not be a guarantee here. He also said there simply is no visit scheduled right now and that neither is nor Cunliffe have necessarily eliminated the other from consideration.

He followed up in the replies suggesting that, if Cunliffe is considering mid-majors, then lots of playing time might be important, and that with Coffey, Hurt, and Kalscheur at the 2 and 3, big minutes might not be a guarantee here. He also said there simply is no visit scheduled right now and that neither is nor Cunliffe have necessarily eliminated the other from consideration.

See Stockman thread. Now you have your answer.

Committed to Evansville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Matz may have saved us from some headaches here. Washington didn’t want him despite him being a home town kid and having an open scholarship and he had no other high major interest... I think word traveled that he’s got red flags.

Top Bottom