Iowa loses expected starter at safety

Iowa had a bunch of other scholarship guys leave due to injury, playing time, academics, off the field stuff...only 78 scholarship players.

Iowa had a bunch of other scholarship guys leave due to injury, playing time, academics, off the field stuff...only 78 scholarship players.

Last I checked, only 11 guys are on the field at a time. Not 78 or 85.

Also last I checked, there is no NCAA rule saying that a guy who has only been in the program for less than two years is not allowed to make plays on the field.

Last I checked, only 11 guys are on the field at a time. Not 78 or 85.

Also last I checked, there is no NCAA rule saying that a guy who has only been in the program for less than two years is not allowed to make plays on the field.

Thanks for checking... when was the last time you checked?

Cornerback Rugamba who started eight games last year for Hawks transferred to Miami of Ohio.

The other main Iowa cornerback from last year, Jackson, left early to NFL draft.

Some question marks in Iowa secondary.

Hawks oline, rb, lb situations also took some hits.

Snyder's the only departure with legal transgressions. A total of six players departed in the past few months, largely due to playing time.

Iowa will be at 85 scholarships come September 1, just like every D1 team. The sky isn't falling, as much as you'd like to think it is.

I'm glad he's gone. Having watched him a decent amount, he's a scummy player. Glad we won't be witnessing any of that in the Big 10 again.

Iowa will be at 85 scholarships come September 1, just like every D1 team.

There are many, many D1 teams who won't be at 85 scholarships- namely, every FCS school, given that they only have 63 scholarships to award. Putting that aside, there are also many FBS schools who aren't (and won't be) close to 85 scholarships on September 1.

There are many, many D1 teams who won't be at 85 scholarships- namely, every FCS school, given that they only have 63 scholarships to award. Putting that aside, there are also many FBS schools who aren't (and won't be) close to 85 scholarships on September 1.

Semantics. Walk-ons will earn scholarships, thus the team will have 85.

Semantics. Walk-ons will earn scholarships, thus the team will have 85.

It's not semantics. Not every team can award 85 scholarships because sometimes they don't have enough players to do so. For example, Kansas is at ~70 scholarship players and can't even award the full remaining ~15 to walk-ons because those count against the annual cap of 25.

It's not semantics. Not every team can award 85 scholarships because sometimes they don't have enough players to do so. For example, Kansas is at ~70 scholarship players and can't even award the full remaining ~15 to walk-ons because those count against the annual cap of 25.

Okay, fair. I'll rephrase: Iowa will have 85 scholarship football players when camp begins.

"In the Iowa release, Ferentz pointed to increased competition at Snyder's position leaving him a less-than-clear path to the field."

In other words, he wasn't an expected starter and Swingman's threads remain propaganda and full of lies.

"In the Iowa release, Ferentz pointed to increased competition at Snyder's position leaving him a less-than-clear path to the field."

In other words, he wasn't an expected starter and Swingman's threads remain propaganda and full of lies.

Much like Captain Kirk's self-serving response?

Last edited:

I'm glad he's gone. Having watched him a decent amount, he's a scummy player. Glad we won't be witnessing any of that in the Big 10 again.

Didn't he put a cheap hit on Leidner a couple of years back, which sidelined Leidner with a concussion for the next game?

Snyder's didn't live up to "expectations" following his DUI in December. Most see Ferentz's comments and the news release as a way for Snyder to save face after four years on campus. His troubles came following two ACL tears.

Snyder's didn't live up to "expectations" following his DUI in December. Most see Ferentz's comments and the news release as a way for Snyder to save face after four years on campus. His troubles came following two ACL tears.

Makes sense to me.

Hate to see injuries no matter who they are. No fun for those kids.

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but Snyder in no way left of his own volition. It's a bit hush-hush, but the accepted version of events down here is that he was voted off the team by the players. Something went down, and it had nothing to do with playing time. He was listed as a starter on the depth chart released two weeks ago.

Review post 15 and the title of the thread.

Title of thread: Iowa loses expected starter at safety
Article from post 1: "From the outside, it seemed everything was on track. At last week's Big Ten Media Days, the Hawkeye depth chart revealed Snyder as a co-starter with Jake Gervase at free safety."

Yup, total lies.

Pure spin when they announced Snyder's departure. Again, he was listed as a starter on the most recently released depth chart.

Apologies for not being in Iowa City and reviewing the coaches actual depth chart. I was going on what Ferentz actually said, which was that Snyder would have a hard time getting on the field.

“Brandon is a fifth-year senior who has earned his undergraduate degree and wants to see as much playing time as possible,” said Ferentz. “We are allowing him to be released, which means he can play for another team immediately.”

I don't claim to know the Iowa roster inside and out, but that's a pretty big clue that he wasn't going to play much.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/38781992/...rfs-suspended-one-game-snyder-leaving-program

“Brandon is a fifth-year senior who has earned his undergraduate degree and wants to see as much playing time as possible,” said Ferentz. “We are allowing him to be released, which means he can play for another team immediately.”

I don't claim to know the Iowa roster inside and out, but that's a pretty big clue that he wasn't going to play much.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/38781992/...rfs-suspended-one-game-snyder-leaving-program

I understand that you're just going by what Ferentz said, but you'll just have to take my word for it that the "grad transfer to get more playing time" angle is simply a smoke screen. He was expected to be a starter and one of Iowa's key playmakers. He was given the boot. It's probably good that the young man is getting a fresh start somewhere else.

Top Bottom