Frost hitting transfers, jucos hard

swingman

Reaction score
Omaha World Herald rundown of the newest Huskers who could make a big impact this fall:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...cle_23e39d71-8047-590b-be70-4091477f0f80.html

Greg Bell: The current leader in the clubhouse to win the starting running back job, Bell joins Nebraska after two seasons at Arizona Western. Bell ran for 2,404 yards in two seasons at Arizona Western and averaged 6.3 yards per carry. Bell committed out of high school to San Diego State but didn't qualify academically. He picked Nebraska in December 2017 over Tennessee.

Breon Dixon: A transfer from Mississippi, Dixon was granted a waiver by the NCAA and is eligible to compete immediately. The sophomore was once a four-star recruit who signed with Ole Miss in 2017. He had five tackles as a true freshman. Dixon, a 5-foot-11, 205-pound outside linebacker, chose Nebraska over Wisconsin. He’ll play in the same spot as former UCF linebacker Shaquem Griffin.

Will Honas: Honas was hand-picked by inside linebackers coach Barrett Ruud. At 6-foot-1, 235 pounds, Honas fits the build of a Big Ten linebacker and joins the Huskers after two seasons at Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kansas. In 2017, Honas had 96 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions. He joined Nebraska in December.

Will Jackson: Jackson brings depth to a thin cornerback spot. Nebraska is his fourth school since 2015. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound corner was dismissed from Kentucky after an undisclosed violation of team rules in February 2016. He had then stints at Iowa Western and Mesa Community College. He picked off four passes at Mesa in 2017. He’ll have two years of eligibility with the Huskers.

Tre Neal: A key piece to Central Florida’s 13-0 season in 2017, Neal is one of two former UCF players to join Scott Frost’s roster. Neal, a safety, will graduate from UCF and transfer to Nebraska for the fall. He had three interceptions and 68 tackles as a senior. He picked off a pass in the end zone to seal UCF’s overtime win over Memphis in the American Athletic Conference championship. Frost said at Big Ten media days Neal brings leadership at a position group that needs it.

Vaha Vainuku: His career was derailed after he tore two ligaments in his right foot during his first padded practice at Utah in 2012. The 6-foot-3, 325-pound defensive lineman appeared in two games for the Utes in 2016 but retired from football in 2017. That was until Nebraska gave Vainuku a second chance this summer. The transfer will now suit up for Nebraska at defensive tackle and has two years of eligibility remaining.

Noah Vedral: He's a Nebraska native who followed Frost to Central Florida to play quarterback. He played sparingly as a freshman backup in 2017. After Frost’s departure from Orlando, Vedral left UCF to become a walk-on at Nebraska but later received a waiver to be put on scholarship — though he's still not eligible to compete in 2018. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound quarterback will likely redshirt.

Deontai Williams: A late addition to the 2018 class, Williams adds another piece to the puzzle in the secondary. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Williams comes to Nebraska after one season at Jones County Junior College in Mississippi. The sophomore enrolled in January. At Jones County, Williams had 26 tackles, two interceptions and two forced fumbles.

Mike Williams: He joined the Huskers in January after one dynamic season at East Mississippi Community College. Williams caught 30 passes for 669 yards and seven touchdowns in 2017, averaging 23.2 yards per catch. Williams spent his freshman year on the bench at Georgia Southern, catching just three passes for 27 yards. Now the 5-foot-10, 185-pound receiver will be a key weapon for Nebraska in 2018.

Jaron Woodyard: Woodyard was originally scheduled to join Nebraska in the spring, but grades kept him at home in Maryland. After a semester working out at his hometown high school and finishing online classes, he now gives Nebraska yet another speedy receiver. Woodyard spent two seasons at Arizona Western College, catching 36 passes for 522 yards and six touchdowns in 2017. He averaged 23.7 yards per catch in 2016 as a freshman. The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Woodyard will have two years to find a role within Scott Frost’s offense.

Looks like Frost doesn't want to have a throwaway year in 2018.

It's a little bit easier to get kids with academic risks into Nebraska. It's also a little easier to take some kids with character issues when you're not coming off a very public sex scandal.

I think this will come back to bite Frost. Kids who transfer or come from JUCOs tend to have red flags. As we've seen, some work out great, but a lot don't. These kids are at JUCOs or are transferring from a better program for a reason.

As Gopher fans we're always excited to get these guys but it seems a bunch of them just don't pan out.

Someone needs to tell Frost they need a culture change in Lincoln..:mad:

It's a little bit easier to get kids with academic risks into Nebraska. It's also a little easier to take some kids with character issues when you're not coming off a very public sex scandal.

Can't help yourself can you?

As long as you're gonna be involved in character assassination do you want to tell us which of those 10 players have "character" issues or you just going to throw shade on all of them?

Geesh. It doesn't get any easier for the Gophers.

Purdue didn't have a year zero under Brohm's first year. Now, they are ahead of the Gophers slightly in recruiting. Frost is doing the same thing in Nebraska bringing in lots of JUCOs and transfers.

As long as you're gonna be involved in character assassination do you want to tell us which of those 10 players have "character" issues or you just going to throw shade on all of them?

At least one of them does if you read the descriptions. Players usually bounce from school to school or go to the JUCO route because of grades, or other issues.

Agree, the alleged character issues are not right, but there are several academic concerns in these players. Is UNL turning into the academic dredges of the B1G? They currently wouldn’t qualify for entry into the B1G since they lost their AAU membership. It is also the only public school that has an enrollment of under 30,000 students.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GopherWeatherGuy:

At least one of them does if you read the descriptions. Players usually bounce from school to school or go to the JUCO route because of grades, or other issues.

Doubling down on you losing hand huh?

You mean Will Jackson? Who "was dismissed from Kentucky after an undisclosed violation of team rules in February 2016", was dismissed for character issues?

You want to tell everybody what that "undisclosed" dismissal was for?

Doubling down on you losing hand huh?

You mean Will Jackson? Who "was dismissed from Kentucky after an undisclosed violation of team rules in February 2016", was dismissed for character issues?

You want to tell everybody what that "undisclosed" dismissal was for?

Losing what? He didn't follow team rules and got kicked out of the program. But I'm sure it was nothing and he was wrongly dismissed. :rolleyes:

Losing what? He didn't follow team rules and got kicked out of the program. But I'm sure it was nothing and he was wrongly dismissed.

Run away! Run away!:blah::blah::blah:

Nope, first you implied that there were "some kids" who were admitted that had character issues.

When caught it that character assassination attempt, you ran away from it by claiming that there was at least "one" who was dismissed for character issues. Then when asked what they were, rather than admitting that you didn't know, you ran away again. Like you usually do when you post something wrong, you just didn't have the class to admit it.

Someday you may post something that brings knowledge to the board, rather than attempting you're normal "I'm so cute aren't I?" move.

It's possible right? :rolleyes:

Run away! Run away!:blah::blah::blah:

Nope, first you implied that there were "some kids" who were admitted that had character issues.

When caught it that character assassination attempt, you ran away from it by claiming that there was at least "one" who was dismissed for character issues. Then when asked what they were, rather than admitting that you didn't know, you ran away again. Like you usually do when you post something wrong, you just didn't have the class to admit it.

Someday you may post something that brings knowledge to the board, rather than attempting you're normal "I'm so cute aren't I?" move.

It's possible right? :rolleyes:

Some JUCO's have character issues, that's all I said. Everyone with a shred of common sense knows that. Being academically ineligible out of high school is a character issue IMO. Getting kicked off of a team is a character issue. Some rectify these issues and go on to be great players. Some don't. They are typically boom or bust.

You continue to throw temper tantrums about nothing. Here is just another example.

Some JUCO's have character issues, that's all I said. Everyone with a shred of common sense knows that. Being academically ineligible out of high school is a character issue IMO. Getting kicked off of a team is a character issue. Some rectify these issues and go on to be great players. Some don't. They are typically boom or bust.

You continue to throw temper tantrums about nothing. Here is just another example.

Nearly 5 hours after your originally post now you just remembered that's what you were trying to say?

Everybody figured that you were pretty slow-witted but to be charitable, let's just go with your normal need to run away from accepting personal responsibility.

Nearly 5 hours after your originally post now you just remembered that's what you were trying to say?

Everybody figured that you were pretty slow-witted but to be charitable, let's just go with your normal need to run away from accepting personal responsibility.

Ah yes, resort to personal attacks when you can't win arguments or disagree with someone. I feel bad for you.

Ah yes, resort to personal attacks when you can't win arguments or disagree with someone. I feel bad for you.

Says the guy who started by talking about the "character issues" of some of the Nebraska recruits...

It's a little bit easier to get kids with academic risks into Nebraska. It's also a little easier to take some kids with character issues...

Says the guy who started by talking about the "character issues" of some of the Nebraska recruits...

And again what I said is just common sense when discussing some JUCO recruits. There's a reason why many programs try to stay away from taking large numbers of them. I still feel bad that you can't grasp that concept. Maybe someday...

KSU +17 wins over expected. I don’t recall any major scandals at JUCO U.

No reason to have a blanket prejudice vs JUCOs. Just do due diligence as always. What are the circumstances of upbringing? Talk to the kid...second chances and kids developing maturity should be celebrated.

Frost is going to open up in year 3.

So let me get this straight:

Frost brings in 10 JUCOs and transfers and it shows how dedicated he is to winning immediately.

Fleck brings in 8 (Williamson, Smith, Silver, Vic, Dickson, Davis, Daniels, Schad) and it shows he has no interest in winning now and is just building for the future.

Frost brings in 10 JUCOs and transfers and it shows how dedicated he is to winning immediately.

Fleck brings in 8 (Williamson, Smith, Silver, Vic, Dickson, Davis, Daniels, Schad) and it shows he has no interest in winning now and is just building for the future.

Nope, GWG would say that Fleck's bringing in too many guy's with character issues..

None of those eight played a down in the first year. Do you know the definition of "immediately"?

None of those eight played a down in the first year. Do you know the definition of "immediately"?

None of the UNL 10 have played a down, and are not guaranteed to play at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

None of the UNL 10 have played a down, and are not guaranteed to play at all.

Of course none are guaranteed to play at all (any of them could break a leg, die, or have any number of things happen between now and the first game), but I'm happy to make a wager on how many of those 10 play in a game for Nebraska this year. I'll set the over/under at 6.5 and take the over. Do you want to take the under and name the stakes?

I love gopherhole. No thread stays on topic and it never fails to turn in to a pissing contest.

How will Frost's transfers play immediately? Unless they are grad transfers they have to sit a year as well.

And I don't care about Nebraska's roster enough to evaluate each of the ten.

Having actually played JUCO back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, most players were those who just didn't want to stop playing, late bloomers, or were being stashed away by other programs. Sometimes "academic" casualties are just victims of circumstance. Ex.high achiever at a crappy school, High grades and a low SAT/ ACT...

There is also the regional issue. It was/ is? perfectly acceptable in the PAC12 region for (mostly California?) students to come from a JUCO. Much of that has to do with many students transfering from Community Colleges to State Universities, or Universities of California, etc. to save money. Once upon a time, the only thing you had to pay at California Junior Colleges, was supply fees(Books, etc). There was no stigma if you transferred in from a two year institution

.https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/28/science/california-weighs-end-of-free-college-education.html

Bottomline, you can't lump all Junior College players into one category.

Top Bottom