STrib: P.J. Fleck's choice for Gophers starting QB? 'Whoever wins the team' in camp

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The motivation for 2018 takes the next step Wednesday, when the Gophers begin their second training camp under Fleck. They’ll have the benefit of a year’s experience in the coach’s system, but with only nine scholarship seniors on the roster, they’ll need youngsters to mature quickly because they’ll be called on to play.

“Looking forward to this young, inexperienced football team and seeing what it can do,’’ said Fleck, whose team opens its season Aug. 30 against New Mexico State at TCF Bank Stadium. “Just because we’re young doesn’t mean we’re not talented. It’s going to be a fun training camp with competition across the board.’’

The most important area where youth and competition converge will be at quarterback, where Fleck’s options — redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan and early enrollee true freshman Zack Annexstad — will vie for the starting job. It’s a position that could be fluid throughout the season.

“Whoever wins the team — consistency, decisive decisions, who can own the mistakes they make, who can change the most, who can get better,’’ Fleck responded when asked how he’d determine his starter. “… Just because you won the job at the end of training camp doesn’t mean you’re going to keep the job. You still have to perform at a high level. As the other person grows, do they grow ahead of you? This is going to be a neck-and-neck battle.’’

Whichever quarterback wins the starting job, he better take care of the ball. The Gophers were minus-4 in turnover margin during Big Ten play, which ranked 10th in the conference. “Turnover margin is absolutely critical for us,’’ Fleck said.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...g-qb-whoever-wins-the-team-in-camp/489671931/

Go Gophers!!

What does win the team mean? I hope it doesn't mean what it meant to Kill and his staff. Wasn't a big part of the reason Leidner was ahead of Nelson was that the team loved his grit and would follow him anywhere? That great and all but if you can't complete passes who cares?

What does win the team mean? I hope it doesn't mean what it meant to Kill and his staff. Wasn't a big part of the reason Leidner was ahead of Nelson was that the team loved his grit and would follow him anywhere? That great and all but if you can't complete passes who cares?

Get the team to believe in them, win them over, teams views him as a leader, be their guy, etc.

Maybe this is obvious, but I'm guessing if it's a close call, Fleck will talk to team captains to get a sense what players are saying in the locker room amongst each other.

“Whoever wins the team — consistency, decisive decisions, who can own the mistakes they make, who can change the most, who can get better,’’ Fleck responded when asked how he’d determine his starter. “… Just because you won the job at the end of training camp doesn’t mean you’re going to keep the job. You still have to perform at a high level. As the other person grows, do they grow ahead of you? This is going to be a neck-and-neck battle.’’

In other words, as everyone in the Big Ten knows -- we don't have a clear starting QB, and it's likely that both of our freshmen are going to see the field at some point this season.

If that weren't the case, you'd see the Fleck machine pegged at the other end of the verbal spectrum: "What can't you say about [player]?? He's an elite, hyper Neckon! He eats footballs for breakfast and leaves excellence in the toilet! Bill Brasky drives him to campus every morning!"

I'm gonna go with the theory that PJ already pretty much knows.

He doesn't want to give it away to opponents / wants to push his players to excel?

You say that because it's the QB position? He's been quick to name starters at other positions...like Cashman. My gut is that both are close in demonstrated ability to execute the offense and this is a competition for starter.

You say that because it's the QB position? He's been quick to name starters at other positions...like Cashman. My gut is that both are close in demonstrated ability to execute the offense and this is a competition for starter.

So he named Cashman... ok....

I don't see why he can't do things differently player to player / position to position.

I mean Nelson wasn't very good either

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Although I agree with other posters comments, the team will have more confidence in one QB over the other, and that is how you win the team.

I'm gonna go with the theory that PJ already pretty much knows.

Maybe so in a sense. However if the other quarterback excels during the upcoming practices, would he go with with his his preliminary thoughts prior to the practices?

Maybe so in a sense. However if the other quarterback excels during the upcoming practices, would he go with with his his preliminary thoughts prior to the practices?

Yeah, I think for the most part there is "always" competition, particularly if there isn't a star in that position.. If someone turns into Joe Young , they will get to play.

Joe Young was a couple of my favorite 49er QBs.

I hope that picking the guy with intangible factors like confidence and leadership (if that's even what it comes down to) isn't a kinder way of saying we don't have anyone who can throw a football accurately.

Nobody ever doubted Mitch Leidner, Connor Rhoda, Marqueis Gray, etc. as leaders and good dudes their teammates liked. None were particularly good at consistently making B1G throws.

I hope that picking the guy with intangible factors like confidence and leadership (if that's even what it comes down to) isn't a kinder way of saying we don't have anyone who can throw a football accurately.

Nobody ever doubted Mitch Leidner, Connor Rhoda, Marqueis Gray, etc. as leaders and good dudes their teammates liked. None were particularly good at consistently making B1G throws.

Who was the last QB for the Gophers that consistently made Big Ten throws? Not trying to be snarky, just wondering who you'd say that was. Weber? Cupito?

My three favorite athletes of all time — Joe Young, Jerry Clark and Gordie Gretzky.

Going way back, Harmon Allison was my favorite Minnesota Twins' player. Although I really liked Camilo "Mudcat" Kralick when he pitched.

Top Bottom