Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

The report states that this was common knowledge among the coaches wives, this makes not only Meyer, but every coach at tOSU susceptible to investigation. The whole thing just wreaks. I t starts with the fact that Smith is the grandson of Earl Bruce and Meyer loved Bruce, has known Smith forever......its a mess.

You really need to blow up the entire coaching staff at OSU and start over.

Statement from Brad Koffel, Zach Smith's attorney, to ESPN's Dan Murphy: "Zach Smith wants to be as transparent and honest as possible but it is not going to be done today through the media. It will only be after he and his ex-wife are sworn in to testify. Once he gets his chance to tell his side of events, don’t be surprised when it is corroborated by every police who ever responded to Ms. Smith’s calls."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41025815-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that why he unilaterally sealed their divorce filing, because he wants to be “as transparent and honest as possible”? [emoji1303]

They aren't going to wait too long. Something will probably come down by the end of this week.

If proven, the lying part won't be taken lightly. Integrity of the program is at stake.

If true, it is sad all around. It appears that they did nothing knowing about the spousal abuse as far back as when Meyer was still coaching in Florida. Urban Meyer should have never hired him again when he took the tOSU job.

All for not wanting the assistant coach to be fired in the case of the time in Florida. Even members of the family and Earle Bruce were purported to be involved.

It appears that they did nothing knowing about the spousal abuse as far back as when Meyer was still coaching in Florida. Urban Meyer should have never hired him again when he took the tOSU job.

Agree he shouldn’t have hired him, and agree he should have fired him in 2015. And of course he shouldn’t have lied.

But I disagree here that Meyer “looking the other way” is what enabled the abuse. The police were already involved, way back then. It’s not at all like Penn St. At least from what I can tell.

So let me get this straight:
1. Zach Smith is a Grandson of the late Ohio State coach Earle Bruce.
2. Earle Bruce may have some persuasive influence in the cover up Florida domestic abuse incident.
3. Family members (both sides) don't want Zach to be fired.

Urban Meyer felt obligated to hire Zach Smith as an assistant when he took the tOSU job. Now, it may cost him his job.

Didn’t see this posted already, but ElevenWarriors posted the 20 minute interview with the abused ex-wife. Smith is a low-life, scumbag. Urban had to know what was going on b/c Urban’s wife knew exactly what was going on and said she would have to tell him.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...-meyer-knew-about-abuse-in-interview#comments

It’s in his contract that Urban must report any abuse or be fired with cause.

Good riddance!

Perhaps I’m missing something, but weren’t the police involved in both the 2015 and 2009 episodes? What was Urban supposed to do? Alert the media? Alert the campus gestapo? Don’t the police contact the EOAA when university students or employees are involved in arrests regarding violence?

What was Urban supposed to do, other than fire the guy? He may not have been privy to all the alleged evidence. I’m not sure Urban or any other human can fix the pathology between that couple or tens of thousands of others. Perhaps, just throwing **** against the wall, had this guy been fired he’d have committed a murder or murder suicide. Perhaps the best “justice” in this case, if law enforcement hands were tied about doing anything as the wife was not cooperative, was to separate the couple and hope counseling and maturity improved the situation.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but weren’t the police involved in both the 2015 and 2009 episodes? What was Urban supposed to do?../QUOTE]

No, but a contract provision in the extension that brought him his extra millions said he had to report "any known violations". He said he didn't know of any. It sounds like he lied about that.

It doesn't sound like "Gestapo" tactics. It sounds like Meyer's bosses didn't like being lied to or ignored:

To the section covering Meyer’s specific duties and responsibilities, a provision was added that reads in part: "Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event."

For the purposes of this provision, the contract states, "a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or an allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause to believe is taking place or may have taken place."

To the section covering reasons for termination for cause, a provision was added that states Meyer’s contract can be terminated if he fails to promptly report to the university’s deputy Title IX coordinator-athletics or the university’s Title IX coordinator "any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...mended-contract-could-pose-problem/885020002/

Has anyone seen what exactly the rules are per reporting abuse for Urban?

I assume this is limited to university employees or something like that.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but weren’t the police involved in both the 2015 and 2009 episodes? What was Urban supposed to do? Alert the media? Alert the campus gestapo? Don’t the police contact the EOAA when university students or employees are involved in arrests regarding violence?

What was Urban supposed to do, other than fire the guy? He may not have been privy to all the alleged evidence. I’m not sure Urban or any other human can fix the pathology between that couple or tens of thousands of others. Perhaps, just throwing **** against the wall, had this guy been fired he’d have committed a murder or murder suicide. Perhaps the best “justice” in this case, if law enforcement hands were tied about doing anything as the wife was not cooperative, was to separate the couple and hope counseling and maturity improved the situation.
Urban Meyer has several “Core Values” that are required for his players. One of them is “Respect Women”. He’s made it clear, that violators will be kicked off the team, though he has been inconsistent in administering it. Carlos Hyde was given a pass when he punched a female in a Columbus bar a few years ago (on video).

He should have fired Coach Smith as soon as he found out and confirmed through some personal investigation, assuming he did find out. It’s a team “Core Value”.

He could’ve kept it private, provided counseling, whatever, but he needed to fire Coach Smith once the abuse was confirmed. To ignore it, is to endorse it and enable it. Instead, he decided to protect his mentor’s grandson at the expense of the abused wife.

Um ... be more truthful? Nobody is claiming he's responsible for whatever abuse took place. But he does have control over whom he hires.

This was at Ohio St. at one point.

BM-p4yoCEAEhqan.jpg

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Have to think the stuff with the former doctor there will make them much less likely to side with Meyer. Taking action here would look good in front of a court and keeping Meyer and saying there's not enough evidence looks really bad and could lead to a bigger payout for the victims of the doctor if they thing tOSU is still supporting and covering up misconduct today.

Urban Meyer has several “Core Values” that are required for his players. One of them is “Respect Women”. He’s made it clear, that violators will be kicked off the team, though he has been inconsistent in administering it. Carlos Hyde was given a pass when he punched a female in a Columbus bar a few years ago (on video).

He should have fired Coach Smith as soon as he found out and confirmed through some personal investigation, assuming he did find out. It’s a team “Core Value”.

He could’ve kept it private, provided counseling, whatever, but he needed to fire Coach Smith once the abuse was confirmed. To ignore it, is to endorse it and enable it. Instead, he decided to protect his mentor’s grandson at the expense of the abused wife.

Ok, but what did he know? I’m not saying he didn’t know, but I don’t know that he did nor does anyone else. The woman stated in her interview she never told the wives about any abuse until the 2015 incident. Shelley Urban certainly knew at that point, but what did Urban know? The woman also stated she didn’t want him to lose his job, as she’s a stay at home mom and kept hoping he’d change. She stated she told Urban everything was fine in 2015 (at the airport after the College Playoff). She strikes me as someone that was scared, didn’t know what to do, and wanted to keep her family together for all sorts of reasons including financial security. The latter is a reason people stay in all sorts of abusive situations. Eventually she determined it wasn’t going to change and she found the courage to leave. Now, however there is a whiff of vindictiveness in the air, and I’m sure this is a hurting person for numerous reasons that may be lashing out. She has my sympathies.

You people are acting like there was a coverup when in fact the police were involved, and she told Urban straight to his face everything was great? She apparently never told Urban. She never went to the press (until now). This is far more complicated than you all seem to believe.

So again, what was he supposed to do?

Um ... be more truthful? Nobody is claiming he's responsible for whatever abuse took place. But he does have control over whom he hires.

Umm...she didn’t want him fired because of her total dependence on him. She told Urban everything was fine. The police apparently declined to press charges. Why?

How would firing Zach Smith have helped Courtney Smith and her children? How would it have stopped the abuse?

Serious questions. Go.

Didn’t see this posted already, but ElevenWarriors posted the 20 minute interview with the abused ex-wife. Smith is a low-life, scumbag. Urban had to know what was going on b/c Urban’s wife knew exactly what was going on and said she would have to tell him.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...-meyer-knew-about-abuse-in-interview#comments

It’s in his contract that Urban must report any abuse or be fired with cause.

Good riddance!

Wow! That’s a powerful video. What an absolute piece of [emoji90] Urban Meyer is! I put Ohio St football up there with the sh^t schools when it comes to football. No morals, no leadership. This is the 2nd football coach they will have had to fire due to cover ups and lies from the head man, and this one much worse. Urban Meyer will go down as a sh^t bag of a human being in my book. From Florida to Ohio St. A big time hypocrite and fraud. Way too big for his britches as they say. F the buckeyes. Heck, f the spartans and f the nittany lions.

Just went to the Ohio State Board. Never had been there before but was curious. Two things I notice. They definitely don't have the trolls like we get here. Secondly I believe that most people think he is a goner and are suggesting replacements.

Just went to the Ohio State Board. Never had been there before but was curious. Two things I notice. They definitely don't have the trolls like we get here. Secondly I believe that most people think he is a goner and are suggesting replacements.

I feel like there are proxy wars being waged all over the country for past sins real and imagined. In today's act first, think later hyper-politicized climate he very well may be cut down on a Title IX technicality despite the nuances surrounnding all this and being peripheral, at best to the issue (unless we find out a whole lot more). And the media; they have to be loving this - some people just love to watch the world burn.

Ok, but what did he know? I’m not saying he didn’t know, but I don’t know that he did nor does anyone else. The woman stated in her interview she never told the wives about any abuse until the 2015 incident. Shelley Urban certainly knew at that point, but what did Urban know? The woman also stated she didn’t want him to lose his job, as she’s a stay at home mom and kept hoping he’d change. She stated she told Urban everything was fine in 2015 (at the airport after the College Playoff). She strikes me as someone that was scared, didn’t know what to do, and wanted to keep her family together for all sorts of reasons including financial security. The latter is a reason people stay in all sorts of abusive situations. Eventually she determined it wasn’t going to change and she found the courage to leave. Now, however there is a whiff of vindictiveness in the air, and I’m sure this is a hurting person for numerous reasons that may be lashing out. She has my sympathies.

You people are acting like there was a coverup when in fact the police were involved, and she told Urban straight to his face everything was great? She apparently never told Urban. She never went to the press (until now). This is far more complicated than you all seem to believe.

So again, what was he supposed to do?
You’re misquoting the abused ex-wife. She didn’t say that “she never told the wives”. She said that she didn’t give the wives the details on what they knew to be a bad marital situation. She also said that she later revealed to Shelly Meyer all of the details and that Shelly Meyer told her that she was going to tell her husband (Urban).

She also implied that Urban must have known b/c he took her to the side and said “how are you guys doing?”. That’s a comment from somebody who knows things aren’t going well.

And, Urban proclaimed how close he and his wife are. Do you honestly believe that Shelly Meyer, who is desperately concerned about Zach Smith’s abuse of his wife, would not tell Urban what is happening? The text exchanges that have been forwarded to McMurphy suggest that Urban Meyer knew. His actions toward her suggest that he knew. He also knew of the 2009 incident.

Furthermore, Meyer claimed at Big Ten Media days that he was unaware of the abuse in 2015. Then he fired Zach Smith the next day. He would’ve been better off just saying he wasn’t going to discuss it rather than apparently lie to the media.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...quote-from-urban-meyer-at-big-ten-media-days/

Come on. Even a ton of Buckeye fans are commenting that this looks really bad.

I suppose it’s possible that Urban’s wife, who Urban considers a partner in his professional life, a wife that knew all of the details about the abuse and sided with the abused wife, a wife that told the abused woman that she was going to tell Urban about the abuse, wouldn’t actually tell Urban about one of THE most important personal issues of his closest staff member. But it’s highly unlikely. Like 100-1 that she didn’t. And if she didn’t, she should have.

1. Urban will get canned for this regardless of his level of involvement. Will be an awful look for the University to stand by him (or really any member of the staff) given how negatively domestic violence is looked at right now- and justifiably so. The only way he survives is if the whole staff survives and the domestic abuse was not true, or that there is simply a story being spun by using one side of the story, which is the wife's who went to the media first.

2. I think the point that people are missing the pompous is trying to state is that he's arguing this from a legal side, to which there is really nothing that is TRULY implicating Urban at that point that we know. Shelley says she will tell Urban, but we have no idea what exactly she told him (ie did she say, "Hey Zach is beating his wife" or say, "hey the Smiths are really struggling right now, could you try lighten up Zach's workload?"). Urban can't be proven to be lying at this point as he has said he's been told, which may have been by police or by higher ups or by whoever, he just says he was told that the incident was nothing aka not domestic abuse, which is what he denied. Which could simply be that he acknowledges an incident occurred but he was told it wasn't domestic abuse so he could, on technicality say, I never knew of abuse. I feel like PE is arguing the letter of the law, which as we know is not how the court of public opinion will see things, which is why I stand by point #1.

Can't see Urban making it through this and if he was actually covering up a domestic abuse situation and protecting a guy involved like has been said, then that's just disgusting.

You’re misquoting the abused ex-wife. She didn’t say that “she never told the wives”. She said that she didn’t give the wives the details on what they knew to be a bad marital situation. She also said that she later revealed to Shelly Meyer all of the details and that Shelly Meyer told her that she was going to tell her husband (Urban).

She also implied that Urban must have known b/c he took her to the side and said “how are you guys doing?”. That’s a comment from somebody who knows things aren’t going well.

And, Urban proclaimed how close he and his wife are. Do you honestly believe that Shelly Meyer, who is desperately concerned about Zach Smith’s abuse of his wife, would not tell Urban what is happening? The text exchanges that have been forwarded to McMurphy suggest that Urban Meyer knew. His actions toward her suggest that he knew. He also knew of the 2009 incident.

Furthermore, Meyer claimed at Big Ten Media days that he was unaware of the abuse in 2015. Then he fired Zach Smith the next day. He would’ve been better off just saying he wasn’t going to discuss it rather than apparently lie to the media.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...quote-from-urban-meyer-at-big-ten-media-days/

Come on. Even a ton of Buckeye fans are commenting that this looks really bad.

I suppose it’s possible that Urban’s wife, who Urban considers a partner in his professional life, a wife that knew all of the details about the abuse and sided with the abused wife, a wife that told the abused woman that she was going to tell Urban about the abuse, wouldn’t actually tell Urban about one of THE most important personal issues of his closest staff member. But it’s highly unlikely. Like 100-1 that she didn’t. And if she didn’t, she should have.

And....? Then what?

I’m not misquoting her. That’s just about verbatim. Go to the 11:00 minute mark or so.

1. Urban will get canned for this regardless of his level of involvement. Will be an awful look for the University to stand by him (or really any member of the staff) given how negatively domestic violence is looked at right now- and justifiably so. The only way he survives is if the whole staff survives and the domestic abuse was not true, or that there is simply a story being spun by using one side of the story, which is the wife's who went to the media first.

2. I think the point that people are missing the pompous is trying to state is that he's arguing this from a legal side, to which there is really nothing that is TRULY implicating Urban at that point that we know. Shelley says she will tell Urban, but we have no idea what exactly she told him (ie did she say, "Hey Zach is beating his wife" or say, "hey the Smiths are really struggling right now, could you try lighten up Zach's workload?"). Urban can't be proven to be lying at this point as he has said he's been told, which may have been by police or by higher ups or by whoever, he just says he was told that the incident was nothing aka not domestic abuse, which is what he denied. Which could simply be that he acknowledges an incident occurred but he was told it wasn't domestic abuse so he could, on technicality say, I never knew of abuse. I feel like PE is arguing the letter of the law, which as we know is not how the court of public opinion will see things, which is why I stand by point #1.

Can't see Urban making it through this and if he was actually covering up a domestic abuse situation and protecting a guy involved like has been said, then that's just disgusting.

I agree with all that. I do think your point #1 is extremely dangerous and irresponsible for all manner of reasons which is why we have a long tradition of point #2 in the civilized west.

I think you’re looking at this way too simplistically. For example, if the wife doesn’t want him fired, but does want/need sympathy/advice/guidance she will confide with her peers. Nothing was keeping her from speaking with Urban directly. This all feels like post-mortem historical rewriting.

On the other side of the conversation Shelley Meyer knows if she goes to Urban he will either a) fire Zach, or b) keep him on Until police complete their investigation and bring. Harvest. I’d imagine an educated woman like Shelley understands the implications of involving Urban and probably is aware of Title IX training..She also realized he is powerless to fix the problem. In fact, the police are already involved. If Urban is forced to fire Zach things may be worse for Courtney as they lose their breadwinner. The role of law enforcement wil be closely scrutinized as it should be. In some ways the best scenario is separation, divorce, alimony and child support.

I don’t think it’s inconceivable she did not go to Urban.

Top Bottom