Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

Among the findings - the apparently official version is that Meyer's wife did NOT tell her husband that a wife of an assistant coach was making allegations of domestic abuse - allegations that Meyer's wife seemed sympathetic to, according to her text messages.

I just find that unbelievable. Meyer says his wife is his moral compass - but she kept this fairly important information secret from her husband - even though it could potentially affect his $7-million a year job? I just don't freaking buy it.

Either way, it's going to make for some verrrry interesting conversations in the Meyer household.

Maybe they don't talk that much....like in many marriages. Seems weird, but not out of the realm of possibility.

I've got to think that Shelly will be peppered with questions as to why she didn't tell Urban about the text messages (as he claims). Will she perpetuate the lie (if in fact it is)......she almost has to, or another sh*t storm will surface.

If I was her I would just say something like “the situation is over, I won’t be commenting on it”. Basically give a big middle finger to the tabloid, click-bait writers.

Maybe they don't talk that much....like in many marriages. Seems weird, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Or maybe she talks and he pretends to listen.

I thought Urban would be better at faking sincerity. I heard better apologies from petulant five year olds.

Last edited:

The police report was modified, 3 years later. The "arrest" box magically changed!!!!!

Winning football games is the most important factor. Nothing else matters.

What happens if this situation was at MN?

#excusesareforlosers

#levelplayingfield

The arrest report from 2015 didn’t have the box checked. Interestingly McMurphy finally posted to Facebook the report that he says supported his initial story but it looks like somebody emailed a jpeg image of a document to him, that didn’t black out her phone member, and had a few other suspicious qualities. The police department says he was never arrested. If Brett had corroborated that report, which he apparently didn’t, it may have avoided the initial misunderstanding. It appears he used a second or third hand document from an unknown source of unknown integrity. He is a poor journalist.

Last edited:

Jim Tressel got to be thinking WTF they fired me over some tattoos

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Serious question, is that really her call to make? I thought given her position at OSU, there is a duty to report these.

I don’t know the particulars of their reporting requirements but again, what is the most likely reason for the behavior of everyone involved? The compliance officer apparently contacted Gene Smith who contacted Urban, and the police had informed the compliance office. Who was left to contact?

The domestic abuse allegations, the protective order will be hashed out in the legal system. The statute of limitations has not kicked in and she seems ready to cooperate with police. Will we see charges? Obviously there are no winners in that household, particularly the kids.

It’s disturbing how so many leap to conclusions based on uninformed columns, half the facts, and pre-existing bias. Zach is obviously a piece of work but when even her own mother won’t support her I don’t know what to make of Mrs. Smith at this point. Nobody seems to acknowledge there may be more to this story.

What I don’t like is how Meyer lied on media day repeatedly. That shows me all I need to know about his character and his ability to teach young men life lessons. These football factories don’t seem to do much service to the kids they come in contact with that could use good teachings about the bigger picture. Football is just a tiny bit of the big picture.

As I saw someone else point out;

If Urban Meyer thought it was okay to keep Smith on staff, why did he fire him as soon as Brett McMurphy’s report hit? Second, if he didn’t think he’d done anything wrong, why’d he lie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I don’t like is how Meyer lied on media day repeatedly. That shows me all I need to know about his character and his ability to teach young men life lessons. These football factories don’t seem to do much service to the kids they come in contact with that could use good teachings about the bigger picture. Football is just a tiny bit of the big picture.

As I saw someone else point out;

If Urban Meyer thought it was okay to keep Smith on staff, why did he fire him as soon as Brett McMurphy’s report hit? Second, if he didn’t think he’d done anything wrong, why’d he lie?

Ohio St fired Smith, the day before BT media days. McMurphy saw that and planned to ambush Meyer at the media days about it. Meyer wasn’t prepared for the question, and tried to deflect. That was a mistake, sure. Was he trying to disceive the reporters there or was it just a mistake, not sure.

McMurphy then took the mistake and ran with it, for his own personal gain, by posting on Facebook without any editor review or peer review. That was his agenda, from the beginning.

I have a funny feeling that the NCCA will get involved more on this one in the end. I agree with bemidjigopher regarding getting fired for tattoos. LOL

The arrest report from 2015 didn’t have the box checked. Interestingly McMurphy finally posted to Facebook the report that he says supported his initial story but it looks like somebody emailed a jpeg image of a document to him, that didn’t black out her phone member, and had a few other suspicious qualities. The police department says he was never arrested. If Brett had corroborated that report, which he apparently didn’t, it may have avoided the initial misunderstanding. It appears he used a second or third hand document from an unknown source of unknown integrity. He is a poor journalist.

As long as the 8 mil a year coach and the program is protected, all is well.

Just win, baby.

Void of honesty and integrity.

As long as the 8 mil a year coach and the program is protected, all is well.

Just win, baby.

Void of honesty and integrity.

You think Nick Saben walks around being an angel, all day? Never told a lie or dishonesty in his entire life? Come on...

Another interesting thing from the final report:

After the news broke about Courtney Smith texting Shelly Meyer - Urban Meyer reportedly asked a member of his staff how to change the settings on his phone in order to delete messages that were more than 1 year old.

When Meyer's phone was examined, there were no messages more than 1 year old. but - the report concluded there was no way to tell when the old messages were deleted, so they could not say with any certainty whether Meyer deleted old messages before or after the story broke.

But - I will bet anyone any amount of money that the deleted messages did NOT say "Urban, please pick up some bread and milk at the store on your way home." Those messages were deleted for a reason. Or maybe for $7 million reasons.

Another interesting thing from the final report:

After the news broke about Courtney Smith texting Shelly Meyer - Urban Meyer reportedly asked a member of his staff how to change the settings on his phone in order to delete messages that were more than 1 year old.

When Meyer's phone was examined, there were no messages more than 1 year old. but - the report concluded there was no way to tell when the old messages were deleted, so they could not say with any certainty whether Meyer deleted old messages before or after the story broke.

But - I will bet anyone any amount of money that the deleted messages did NOT say "Urban, please pick up some bread and milk at the store on your way home." Those messages were deleted for a reason. Or maybe for $7 million reasons.

Goes back to that they weren't using this as a way to fire him ... rather they were trying to get out of having to fire him.

If it was the former, that probably would meet the burden of proof level for firing (not talking about criminal charges here). But since they weren't, then it's "well shucks, we can't prove anything".

Please point out where I have ever said that about Saban.

I am waiting......

I don't know if you did, I was asking. Since it seems you're saying you did not say that, then I can only assume you don't think N.S. is an angel all day. So then, why do you demand that of Urban Meyer?

I don't know if you did, I was asking. Since it seems you're saying you did not say that, then I can only assume you don't think N.S. is an angel all day. So then, why do you demand that of Urban Meyer?

It doesnt seem I did not say that; I did not say that. Nor have I ever demanded anything of Meyer.

Saban is no angel. Does that help you? College sports are simply slimy and dirty.

GH is full of bluster that the Big Ten (schools/sports/coaches) is so much better than nearly any other conference. Repeatedly.
Just isnt so.

Do tell - do you think if the exact same situation happened in dinkytown the coach would receive a 3 game suspension?

Turns out a married Tom Herman was the other coach at the Florida strip club in 2014 per Zach Smith via instagram, and they were allegedly entertaining HS coaches that night. Zach Smith going scorched earth along with everyone else in this sordid trailer park saga. What a **** show all around.

Urban Meyer - 73-8 - 89%
Jim Tressel - 94-22 - 81%

89%>81%
I hope that's sarcasm because 81 percent, a national title, couple of runner ups and one loss to Michigan in ten years is soooooo awful.

I hope that's sarcasm because 81 percent, a national title, couple of runner ups and one loss to Michigan in ten years is soooooo awful.

tOSU has different expectations than gopher fans...

tOSU has different expectations than gopher fans...
I don't recall Tresells seat being remotely hot at the time, his last six teams went to the Fiesta bowl, National title game, National title game, Fiesta bowl, Rose bowl and Sugar Bowl. Probably would still be coaching if the scandal had not happened

Urban Meyer - 73-8 - 89%
Jim Tressel - 94-22 - 81%

89%>81%

To be fair the win loss record is not why Tressell resigned. He resigned three days after Sports Illustrated reported that it had found evidence that the memorabilia-for-tattoos scandal dated back to at least the 2002 national championship season, and as many as 28 players involved.

Last edited:

To be fair the win loss record is not why Tressell was fired. He resigned three days after Sports Illustrated reported that it had found evidence that the memorabilia-for-tattoos scandal dated back to at least the 2002 national championship season, and as many as 28 players involved.
That story was found to be full of false accusations and was widely discredited.

What was true is that 5 players of his current team were found to have traded paraphernalia for tattoos, one of the players being Terrell Pryor. Tressel received an email from a lawyer (and former walk on player unknown to Tressel) that tipped him off of this, but asked that he not reveal it b/c he would lose his law license as the FBI was covertly investigating the tatto parlor owner for drug dealer charges.

Tressel determined that he would handle the matter himself internally and did so with each of the players. However, the NCAA requires head coaches to sign statements that they are unaware of any player violations, and he signed it as if he knew of none. Later, Ohio St Univ found the original email exchange between the lawyer and Tressel during a routine email audit, and he acknowledged what had happened.

Ohio St reported to the NCAA and self-punished Tressel with a suspension. The SI story did raise the public consciousness of the event, though it was later shown to be full of exaggerations and unfounded accusations. However, once that occurred, the NCAA signaled that it would punish Ohio St severely if it didn’t force Tressel to resign.

The NCAA gave Tressel a 5 year ban from coaching.

It doesnt seem I did not say that; I did not say that. Nor have I ever demanded anything of Meyer.

Saban is no angel. Does that help you? College sports are simply slimy and dirty.

GH is full of bluster that the Big Ten (schools/sports/coaches) is so much better than nearly any other conference. Repeatedly.
Just isnt so.

Do tell - do you think if the exact same situation happened in dinkytown the coach would receive a 3 game suspension?

Ok we’re on the same page then. I agree that college football is filled with figures who aren’t the most ethical, put it that way.

That story was found to be full of false accusations and was widely discredited.

What was true is that 5 players of his current team were found to have traded paraphernalia for tattoos, one of the players being Terrell Pryor. Tressel received an email from a lawyer (and former walk on player unknown to Tressel) that tipped him off of this, but asked that he not reveal it b/c he would lose his law license as the FBI was covertly investigating the tatto parlor owner for drug dealer charges.

Tressel determined that he would handle the matter himself internally and did so with each of the players. However, the NCAA requires head coaches to sign statements that they are unaware of any player violations, and he signed it as if he knew of none. Later, Ohio St Univ found the original email exchange between the lawyer and Tressel during a routine email audit, and he acknowledged what had happened.

Ohio St reported to the NCAA and self-punished Tressel with a suspension. The SI story did raise the public consciousness of the event, though it was later shown to be full of exaggerations and unfounded accusations. However, once that occurred, the NCAA signaled that it would punish Ohio St severely if it didn’t force Tressel to resign.

The NCAA gave Tressel a 5 year ban from coaching.

You’re going to go with the evidence? I’m confused. It’s all about what you “know”, not what you can prove.

Top Bottom