Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

I heartily agree domestic violence is a real issue. However, a thinking person cannot and should not have blanket prejudice on this issue or any other. People are not that simple, I’m sorry. Some require more life experience to come to that realization than others.

None of what you wrote applies to this case. How do the texts corroborate anything? Corroboration requires a third party to confirm or deny a statement. We don’t know what Shelley Smith knew. Whether or not Courtney Smith is entirely making the allegations up, or the marriage was a bilaterally messy, toxic cesspool of dysfunction, or ZS masterfully conned everyone into taking his side and was beating her to a pulp behind closed doors as is the narrative pushed by most media this case illustrates the need to get all the facts before jumping to conclusions.

Regarding the firing it may be that he had run out of second and third chances when the arrest for taking the kids to her house arose. ZS was a poor husband at the very least and there may have been some requirements about keeping his nose clean and he failed. These are all questions that will be fleshed out over time.
In Urban Meyer’s first year at Ohio State, a senior reserve player named Storm Klein was kicked off the team by Urban Meyer without any due process. Klein was at his apartment. His former gf, and mother of his child, barged into his apartment without consent. He attempted to remove her from his apartment by grabbing her arms and forcing her out. In the process of her flailing, she bumped her head enough to leave a mark. She filed charges against him for abuse and he was arrested.

He was immediately kicked off the football team without his side of the story being heard or considered. Urban Meyer had no intention of letting him back on the team. Klein fought his expulsion and the charges, which were later reduced to exclude assault. He was allowed to rejoin the team, but missed all of fall camp and was suspended for the first two games of the season as punishment (for a non-assault).

I have no doubt that had this been an important player, Urban Meyer would’ve been more lenient as he was with Carlos Hyde the next year when Hyde was recorded punching a women at a Columbus bar. It was clearly visible that Hyde punched the girl, but he was not charged b/c the girl declined to press charges, even though it was clearly shown on a video released to the public. Do you think there was any pressure put on this girl not to press charges? In Columbus. Hyde didn’t miss any of camp, but was suspended for 4 games.

At very nearly the same time, Bradley Roby, Ohio State DB, was arrested and charged with battery for hitting a security guard at a bar. Eventually, the charges were reduced and he was suspended one game. Roby didn’t miss camp. Both Hyde and Roby were sure bet NFLers.

Urban Meyer has been inconsistent in administering punishment for players. Remember, he has a zero tolerance policy, but Hyde was seen on video punching a women and received a 4 game suspension. Was the punch worse had she chosen to file charges? This was an open and shut conviction for assault, but Meyer can’t believe his own eyes and chooses to let a technicality dictate his zero tolerance.

If Meyer is willing to bend the rules for a NFL prospect, I’m pretty sure he’d be willing to bend the rules or “core values” for the grandson of his beloved mentor.

Should Meyer be fired for a technicality, I wouldn’t have any sympathy for him. He knows all about technicalities. He practically invented them in assault cases in his head coaching career.

A punch recorded on video should be more important than whether the girl decided to press charges after being punched. Especially since Meyer is sooo concerned about “respect for women”.

I am still stuck on why Meyer lies about this one day after Smith was fired. Any organization in that situation is reviewing everything that happened -- again and again -- till you hand someone their walking papers. Why does he say what he does the very next day? I can only think that is showed a guilty conscience -- but then I'm speculating, I think, just like you. And best to see what the evidence is.

He claims that essentially he was ambushed with this question by McMurphy and wasn’t prepared to talk about it, therefore his answer was a mistake and wasn’t meant to be taken literally. Which of course McMurphy did, as was always his scheme, and to great effect.

Do you believe him? I’m not sure if I do.

Regardless, he said that he didn’t lie — purposefully try to deceive via misinformation — rather he just made a mistake. And he says that he did report in 2015. So regardless what you think about the situation or about Meyer in general, there doesn’t seem to be any reasonable legal argument to fired Meyer with cause. And with that, the discussion is really over.

But some people desperately want to use this as an excuse to make an example out of someone, in the name of women’s rights and the advancement of respect for women and bringing abusers to justice. Not bad things on their face, but totally unfair in this scenario. I can’t and won’t support that spin, here.

Last edited:

Feels like you are offering a straw man argument -- or at least cousin-to-straw-man. You asked where's the corroboration for a crime where there is rarely anything but tenuous corroboration. DV is not generally a spectator sport. When Shelly Meyer texted -- he scares me. That sounds like some kind of corroboration especially someone who was counseling them earlier and probably has some reason to be more than just a sympathetic.

As for you comment that -- none of this applies to this case. Let me say it in a different way -- we know that police have ignored DV and we know that its difficult for police to sort through a he said, she said. So that might apply when we know that the police don't always get this right. We know that school administrations have ignored a lot of problems and crimes -- so might apply. I mean geez, OSU is already in the middle of a scandal where folks ignored -- as we hear it -- pretty blatant sexual assault. You could easily argue that away saying that was impossible that it would have happened without more complaints -- but we know that shame and crazy-confusion that victims feel and we know their actions can defy common sense because of the humiliation associated with these acts.

It would be interesting what all they considered when they fired him and did Urban Meyer tell the administration about 2009 in that context.

I am still stuck on why Meyer lies about this one day after Smith was fired. Any organization in that situation is reviewing everything that happened -- again and again -- till you hand someone their walking papers. Why does he say what he does the very next day? I can only think that is showed a guilty conscience -- but then I'm speculating, I think, just like you. And best to see what the evidence is.

1. Again, you cannot apply blanket prejudice and assume guilt based on sex, color, religion, etc. Read that again. This is the basis of our justice system.
2. Urban did not lie, per se. He may not have been clear but he was responding to a story about an arrest for felony assault. He admits he was not “accurate” in his statement. In any event not a Fira let offense.

He claims that essentially he was ambushed with this question by McMurphy and wasn’t prepared to talk about it, therefore his answer was a mistake and wasn’t meant to be taken literally. Which of course McMurphy did, as was always his scheme, and to great effect.

Do you believe him? I’m not sure if I do.

Really really hard to believe. Wasn't meant to be taken literally? I'd appreciate knowing what that means. Its not like he was speaking cryptically or in shades of gray or anything. He was pretty clear and he repeated himself -- even after he had time to correct.

Ambushed by something related to something that happened the day before before? He was pretty clear about something that folks are calling a misstatement -- “I know nothing, never had a conversation about that. Who would create a story like that, and if I [knew] I would have made a change” -- that's not just the classic denied 3 times, by my count he makes 4 denials in 25 words.

1. “I know nothing,
2. never had a conversation about that.
3. Who would create a story like that,
4 and if I [knew] I would have made a change”

Okay so if you accept that he misspoke (wow, you are kind souls and I commend you) or that he was ambushed, then why this exchange later:

"He doubled down a few hours later in a smaller media session, when Cleveland.com columnist Doug Lesmerises asked the coach to clarify his earlier words. Lesmerises took Meyer through almost every element of his earlier statement, piece by piece. “I can’t say it didn’t happen because I wasn’t there,” Meyer said of the ’15 allegations. “I was never told about anything. … I never had a conversation about it.”

Or if you say -- this was a personnel matter that he couldn't talk about, then why confirm 2009 and then deny 2015 -- I'd say the combination makes him more culpable and he knew that if Smith deserved to be terminated the day before, Smith should have been terminated in 2015. Even is you accept he responded poorly in the pressure of the moment, he looks to be lying about violence against women that has been continually ignored, excused and lied about. Any public figure has had months and months and months to think about what they would do in that situation. There's a lot of things you could lie about that aren't all that important -- but lying about this, is a major error. He knew that and still he "mispoke."

Last edited:

Really really hard to believe. Wasn't meant to be taken literally? I'd appreciate knowing what that means. Its not like he was speaking cryptically or in shades of gray or anything. He was pretty clear and he repeated himself -- even after he had time to correct.

Ambushed by something related to something that happened the day before before? He was pretty clear about something that folks are calling a misstatement -- “I know nothing, never had a conversation about that. Who would create a story like that, and if I [knew] I would have made a change” -- that's not just the classic denied 3 times, by my count he makes 4 denials in 25 words.

1. “I know nothing,

Okay so if you accept that he misspoke (wow, you are kind souls and I commend you) or that he was ambushed, then why this exchange later:

"He doubled down a few hours later in a smaller media session, when Cleveland.com columnist Doug Lesmerises asked the coach to clarify his earlier words. Lesmerises took Meyer through almost every element of his earlier statement, piece by piece. “I can’t say it didn’t happen because I wasn’t there,” Meyer said of the ’15 allegations. “I was never told about anything. … I never had a conversation about it.”

Or if you say -- this was a personnel matter that he couldn't talk about, thenwhy confirm 2009 and then deny 2015 -- I'd say the combination makes him more culpable and he knew that if he deserved to be terminated the day before, Smith should have been terminated in 2015.

Let's say it is a given that he lied to the media last month, a couple times, before changing his story. And let's say that he should've fired Smith in 2015, but chose not to.

Are those two things enough for OSU to make a reasonable legal argument that Meyer can be fired for cause? That's the actual question that has to be debated and answered by the OSU panel (likely with input from the legal department). Your moral judgment and opinion is that yes, he should be fired for cause. But that's not the law. That's just your viewpoint.

My viewpoint is this: some things are more important than money ... but it's not binary. There is a spectrum. In my opinion, this situation falls on the spectrum in a place that is well short of the Penn St and Baylor scandals. In other words, if Meyer had helped with a cover up, had asked the police not to investigate, etc. then maybe it would be worth $40 million, on principle. But I don't think Meyer covered anything up, or prevented anyone from calling the police or enabled any abuse. So that falls short of terminating him and paying out $40M, on principle. In my book. Let's see what OSU thinks ...

My viewpoint is this: some things are more important than money ... but it's not binary. There is a spectrum. In my opinion, this situation falls on the spectrum in a place that is well short of the Penn St and Baylor scandals. In other words, if Meyer had helped with a cover up, had asked the police not to investigate, etc. then maybe it would be worth $40 million, on principle. But I don't think Meyer covered anything up, or prevented anyone from calling the police or enabled any abuse. So that falls short of terminating him and paying out $40M, on principle. In my book. Let's see what OSU thinks ...
I suppose you could also take the position that a guy who only drives the getaway car in a bank robbery isn’t guilty of bank robbery b/c he only drove the car.

That’s an analogy. Don’t go off on some tangent about criminality. Zach Smith may have committed a crime that is not going to be prosecuted. Urban Meyer may have been complicit in allowing the immorality of spousal abuse to continue under his nose b/c of who the abuser was and not adhering to his publicly stated principles of morality.

Urban Meyer may have been complicit in allowing the immorality of spousal abuse to continue under his nose b/c of who the abuser was and not adhering to his publicly stated principles of morality.

... And?? Every FBS head coach "knows something" about something that went on in his program that was not 100% perfectly moral in all senses. There are limits to culpability, and these head coaches aren't getting fired for every thing they "allow" to happen during their watch.

The debate isn't if Meyer is a bad person. The debate is firing for cause. You are bound and determined to conflate the issues, and somehow "prove" that the former necessitates the latter. I highly doubt it will work out like that ... it might, but I doubt it.

We are getting too wrapped up in the issue of domestic abuse rather than the pertinent question. Did Urban Meyer follow proper procedure when he became aware of allegations of domestic abuse? That's the real issue, domestic abuse cases need to be professionally investigated, if he didn't follow procedure he's complicit. It appears by what was written elsewhere that the student and employee handbook requires notification of the Title IX Coordinator. He either followed procedure or he didn't.

1. “I know nothing,

Or if you say -- this was a personnel matter that he couldn't talk about, then why confirm 2009 and then deny 2015 -- I'd say the combination makes him more culpable and he knew that if Smith deserved to be terminated the day before, Smith should have been terminated in 2015. Even is you accept he responded poorly in the pressure of the moment, he looks to be lying about violence against women that has been continually ignored, excused and lied about. Any public figure has had months and months and months to think about what they would do in that situation. There's a lot of things you could lie about that aren't all that important -- but lying about this, is a major error. He knew that and still he "mispoke."

What?

The evidence seems to show nothing happened regarding Zach Smith abusing Courtney in Oct 2015. We’re finding out now that it is more likely than not she’s the instigator. I’m sorry to inform you your dogma does not apply. That does not mean domestic violence is not a problem, or oftentimes unpunished, but in this particular case there appears to be a very strange situation. It happens.

It appears more and more that certain media personalities will have their reputations reduced to ash (not that we will see an apology) and ZS while not totally cleared at least seems a slightly more sympathetic figure.

We are getting too wrapped up in the issue of domestic abuse rather than the pertinent question. Did Urban Meyer follow proper procedure when he became aware of allegations of domestic abuse? That's the real issue, domestic abuse cases need to be professionally investigated, if he didn't follow procedure he's complicit. It appears by what was written elsewhere that the student and employee handbook requires notification of the Title IX Coordinator. He either followed procedure or he didn't.

Attorneys seem to be at odds on whether Title IX applies.

Whether Meyer followed policy procedure would very likely be related to his motivations and his lack of character.

So the debate is whether he’s a bad person and whether he followed policy. In either case, it is grounds for dismissal according to his contract.

I posted the entire link before, but I re-post it for emphasis:

A USA TODAY Sports review of Meyer's contract found there would be other grounds to fire him for cause even if he did what was required in terms of reporting – if Ohio State has the stomach for it. One provision allows him to be fired for “fraud or dishonesty … in the course of his duties or responsibilities.” When Meyer was asked at Big Ten media day about his knowledge of the 2015 allegations, he lied repeatedly.

Another clause allows for his firing if he behaves in a way that reflects “unfavorably upon Ohio State’s reputation and overall primary mission and objectives.” Still another says he can be fired for failing to “perform his duties and personally comport himself at all times in a manner consistent with good sportsmanship and with the high moral, ethical and academic standards of Ohio State and its Department of Athletics.”

Aside from the considerable mud Ohio State is now covered in because of this situation, Meyer also disparaged the reputations of Courtney Smith and McMurphy with his comments at Big Ten media day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-urban-meyer-didnt-do-whats-right/934729002/

PE, you must have a real hard-on for Meyer.

Whether Meyer followed policy procedure would very likely be related to his motivations and his lack of character.

So the debate is whether he’s a bad person and whether he followed policy. In either case, it is grounds for dismissal according to his contract.

I posted the entire link before, but I re-post it for emphasis:

A USA TODAY Sports review of Meyer's contract found there would be other grounds to fire him for cause even if he did what was required in terms of reporting – if Ohio State has the stomach for it. One provision allows him to be fired for “fraud or dishonesty … in the course of his duties or responsibilities.” When Meyer was asked at Big Ten media day about his knowledge of the 2015 allegations, he lied repeatedly.

Another clause allows for his firing if he behaves in a way that reflects “unfavorably upon Ohio State’s reputation and overall primary mission and objectives.” Still another says he can be fired for failing to “perform his duties and personally comport himself at all times in a manner consistent with good sportsmanship and with the high moral, ethical and academic standards of Ohio State and its Department of Athletics.”

Aside from the considerable mud Ohio State is now covered in because of this situation, Meyer also disparaged the reputations of Courtney Smith and McMurphy with his comments at Big Ten media day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-urban-meyer-didnt-do-whats-right/934729002/

Where are all these pure souls you’re talking about? Glass houses something something.

The latter bolded is a bit ironic considering we now know McMurphy lied about felony arrest in his story and it appears Mrs. Smith may have some serious issues.

Otherwise, solid reporting by all involved. Amazing, really.

What?

The evidence seems to show nothing happened regarding Zach Smith abusing Courtney in Oct 2015.

That's important on one hand but not really relevant to Meyer's statement. Meyer didn't say Zach didn't abuse her in 2015 -- he said, “I know nothing, never had a conversation about that." Then he repeated it later in the day and then it took him to August 3rd to change his story. And that Aug 3 statement was after a lot coverage and attention. I can see taking some time to compose a thoughtful response but that slow slow correction feels more like he was hopeful it would blow over. Good thing about that kind of conjecture, is that Ohio State should know exactly what happened in that interim and that should be clear in their report -- so probably a bit irresponsible to speculate on that.

No, but I strongly dislike people like you.
I have to say, I can understand your having a strong opinion. Many posters on this forum do. But I don’t understand your making it so personal as to express hatred.

When I’ve posted on the football forum, I think we’ve agreed on many subjects. You don’t know anything about me, as I know nothing about you, except for your opinions. And b/c we have vastly different opinions on this situation, “you don’t like people like me”?

You might want to consider lower your emotions a bit.

PE, you must have a real hard-on for Meyer.

You seem to have a hard-on for him to be fired.

Your attempt to compare Meyer knowing that Zach Smith abused his wife with a getaway driver on a bank robbery was such a stretch in did nothing but expose your strong desire to see Urban get fired. It was a silly and horrible comparison.

You seem to have a hard-on for him to be fired.

Your attempt to compare Meyer knowing that Zach Smith abused his wife with a getaway driver on a bank robbery was such a stretch in did nothing but expose your strong desire to see Urban get fired. It was a silly and horrible comparison.
Yep, I don’t like him. He’s a narcissist, hypocrite, and liar, IMO.

I think my analogy was very good if Meyer knew that Zach Smith was abusing his wife on a rare occasion. It probably wasn’t a simple situation, but Meyer was in no position to make assumptions or think the best of Zach Smith.

If there’s smoke, he needs to report it to the appropriate Ohio State officials and make sure that they’ve investigated to his satisfaction (which is zero tolerance, supposedly) and eliminate the chance of a fire.

The source of PE’s evidence that Urban Meyer is completely innocent has accused Tom Herman, Univ of Texas head coach and former OSU OC, of being the source of the original report on the Smith abuse situation.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...eing-tipster-urban-meyer-situation/967770002/

Tom Herman and McMurphy are denying that claim by Jeff Snook. Herman’s wife and Courtney Smith were friends while their husbands were on the same staff at Ohio State. Herman even acknowledged helping her financially over a year ago, but not since.

IMO, this shows Jeff Snook’s bias in attempting to defend Meyer. To make an accusation so publicly about a high profile coach without providing any evidence of that claim is reckless.

I think Snook should change the spelling of his name to schnook.

BTW, Snook’s story would undermine his own narrative that Courtney Smith is just crazy and wanting to take her husband and Urban Meyer down. Now it’s a conspiracy.

Last edited:

Also, if Snook’s claims were true, as Zach Smith’s mother claimed, why did Ohio State fire Zach Smith? If mom’s claims are true, Zach Smith should still have his job.

Aren’t you the one that goes with unfounded and unproven allegations? Of course Herman would deny IF he was privy to all this as it would reflect very poorly on him as well. Snook is a longtime journalist that one would think has reliable sources, unlike McMurphy.

Supposedly McMurphy published some more texts from 2014 that showed Courtney’s mother initially defending her, but now she’s reversed on that. I don’t think it shows what McMurphy desperately wants it to show. He knows his reputation is toast.

Another fact that seems to have emerged is that the Smith’s are a soap opera, a “trailer trash” couple that is embarrassing to all involved. How much did Urban know about all of it remains the question.

I give up. What’s the next shoe to drop? Again, I wouldn’t be surprised if they dump Urban to wash their hands but they better be sure they aren’t on the hook for the 40 million.

Aren’t you the one that goes with unfounded and unproven allegations? Of course Herman would deny IF he was privy to all this as it would reflect very poorly on him as well. Snook is a longtime journalist that one would think has reliable sources, unlike McMurphy.

Supposedly McMurphy published some more texts from 2014 that showed Courtney’s mother initially defending her, but now she’s reversed on that. I don’t think it shows what McMurphy desperately wants it to show. He knows his reputation is toast.

Another fact that seems to have emerged is that the Smith’s are a soap opera, a “trailer trash” couple that is embarrassing to all involved. How much did Urban know about all of it remains the question.

I give up. What’s the next shoe to drop? Again, I wouldn’t be surprised if they dump Urban to wash their hands but they better be sure they aren’t on the hook for the 40 million.

has anyone checked to see what AJ Barker's mom's friend knew, and when she knew it?

Why are we so worried about what we can't control. The NCCA is going to do whatever it wants to do with both the Ohio State Situation and the Maryland Situation. They really didn't act on North Carolina with their academic situation.

Update ... or not:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ation-involving-urban-meyer-finished-finished

The president of Ohio State University said the school's ongoing investigation involving the football program and coach Urban Meyer "will be finished when it's finished."

Ohio State placed Meyer on paid administrative leave on Aug. 1 after the ex-wife of former assistant coach Zach Smith accused Meyer of mishandling past domestic assault allegations she made against Smith. The university appointed a special working group to review those allegations on Aug. 5. The investigation was expected to conclude two weeks later, this coming Sunday.

Ohio State president Michael Drake, along with the board of trustees, will determine what action is needed after hearing the results of the investigation. Drake said in an interview on WOSU Thursday that Sunday is not a hard deadline for a decision on Meyer's future.

"There is a great deal of interest in this investigation," Drake told the public radio interviewer. "We wanted to make sure we had really good information, and there is time pressure. We wanted to have that information as quickly as possible. ...The most important thing is to get good information so we can make the right decisions going forward."

Drake said that "things are moving apace" in the investigation but did not comment on what was being asked or who was being interviewed. Zach Smith and Courtney Smith, his ex-wife, have both confirmed through their attorneys that they spoke to the group of investigators earlier this week.

Drake did not get into specifics when asked if lying to the public could be considered a fireable offense.

"What we're doing now is an investigation to try to find out exactly what happened, why, what the context was, etc.," Drake said. "I'm going to wait until I know those things before I make conclusions. I've been doing my best possible job to keep an open mind. As I said, stay tuned."

I have no doubt that the Secretary/Admin Assistant for the women's softball program is going to end up getting fired over this.

And that's about all that will come of it.

This guy doesn’t get it. Consult President Kaler for the proper way to throw people under the bus.

What we're doing now is an investigation to try to find out exactly what happened, why, what the context was, etc.," Drake said. "I'm going to wait until I know those things before I make conclusions. I've been doing my best possible job to keep an open mind. As I said, stay tuned."

I mean lying to the public ... that's very loaded term. How can you answer that?

If PJ says he thinks they have a shot at beating Ohio St. but it comes out that he tells a coach "Oh man I hope they don't beat us by 40, just by two scores would be good.".... do they fire him for lying?

I'm not sure you can get someone for "lying to the public" if their job is partly PR....

Top Bottom