Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

So now the evidence appears to show that McMurphy *seems* to be both an inaccurate and unethical reporter desperate to deliver a broadside to Urban and OSU. if
Pompous, you seem very interested in this subject and desperate to defend Meyer with the benefit of any doubt.

McMurphy does have an explanation, but you and Ohio St fans only interested in winning may not be interested.

https://247sports.com/Article/Urban...r-2015-police-report-on-Zach-Smith-120432939/

One of the more interesting things McMurphy discussed with Travis was the discrepancy between the original police report from October of 2015 and the one the police released just recently. According to McMurphy, the 2015 reported stated that Smith was arrested for domestic violence. In the report released this year, it doesn’t say that Smith was arrested. McMurphy says he asked about that but was not given a clear answer.

“In my initial reporting from Big Ten Media Days, when I obtained a copy of this police report, the original report said that Zach Smith was arrested. There is a box there that says the status. It says he was arrested. However, when the Powell police reported that in a revised edition of the arrest report three years later, the arrest box was no longer checked. I asked Powell police why that happened,” McMurphy stated. “The Public Information Officer told me that the terminology used was different in the original report and inconsistent with what actually occurred. I said, ‘How do you indicate somebody was arrested in 2015, and then three years later you’re telling me they’re not?’ They went into this real long explanation about how they’re putting things online now, and basically it made no sense.”

Pompous, you seem very interested in this subject and desperate to defend Meyer with the benefit of any doubt.

McMurphy does have an explanation, but you and Ohio St fans only interested in winning may not be interested.

https://247sports.com/Article/Urban...r-2015-police-report-on-Zach-Smith-120432939/

One of the more interesting things McMurphy discussed with Travis was the discrepancy between the original police report from October of 2015 and the one the police released just recently. According to McMurphy, the 2015 reported stated that Smith was arrested for domestic violence. In the report released this year, it doesn’t say that Smith was arrested. McMurphy says he asked about that but was not given a clear answer.

“In my initial reporting from Big Ten Media Days, when I obtained a copy of this police report, the original report said that Zach Smith was arrested. There is a box there that says the status. It says he was arrested. However, when the Powell police reported that in a revised edition of the arrest report three years later, the arrest box was no longer checked. I asked Powell police why that happened,” McMurphy stated. “The Public Information Officer told me that the terminology used was different in the original report and inconsistent with what actually occurred. I said, ‘How do you indicate somebody was arrested in 2015, and then three years later you’re telling me they’re not?’ They went into this real long explanation about how they’re putting things online now, and basically it made no sense.”

Then he should be able to produce that report, shouldn’t he? The Powell chief flat out stated he was never arrested, both reports say he wasn’t arrested. The original reports lists disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing as the allegations. Those allegations were updated in 2018 to domestic violence but at no time was an arrest ever indicated on the report.

Eleven Warriors has all the coverage you might want. I’d probably advise you not to go to McMurphy for accurate reporting. He has some serious explaining to do. Just produce the report - should be simple enough.

All I know is I am sick of the big schools like UNC, Ohio State getting away with **** like this, or having fake classes, Sparty, letting Izzo and Dantonio deny deny deny whey they should died died died, and we kick off ten players from football team, even though the coaches complied every step of the way throughout the season and we lost our students center for something that may or may not happened three years ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Any time this is your defense, you really aren't making a great argument. Just produce the report in question, it'll get another statement from the PD if it deems one, and we go from there. Maybe it made sense what the PIO said, maybe it didn't. But that really shouldn't be your argument

All I know is I am sick of the big schools like UNC, Ohio State getting away with **** like this, or having fake classes, Sparty, letting Izzo and Dantonio deny deny deny whey they should died died died, and we kick off ten players from football team, even though the coaches complied every step of the way throughout the season and we lost our students center for something that may or may not happened three years ago.

The truth comes out. The issue is really simple: do you want a society where mob justice prevails, or do you want a society that assumes innocence until reasonable proof of guilt is established?

Sure, Urban may have done every despicable thing he’s accused of but so much of this is coming from deranged fans of competing programs, stupid kids, and activist types and it seems a little unfair... Even UFM deserves the chance to prove his innocence.

Some people will never believe and never relent in their criticism if he’s retained which is why I do believe there is a better than 50/50 chance he’s toast. It’s a PR driven world and I don’t know that these regents and presidents have the cojones to stand up to the mob anymore. They are scared for their behinds.

McMurphy revealed Urban Meyer’s role and his lie in this situation. Arguing about details and overlooking the most important facts is a distraction, but it’s all Urban Meyer fans have to fall back on. The important facts are against him.

The article I linked brings up a very important point. Meyer said the AD, Gene Smith, was aware of the 2015 incident, but was Smith aware of the 2009 incident? We know Meyer was very aware. Did Meyer tell Smith that Coach Smith is a repeat offender. Why would Gene Smith forgive Coach Smith as a repeat offender? Or more likely, Meyer didn’t tell Smith about the 2009 incident b/c we know why Meyer would. Coach Smith is Meyer’s mentor’s grandson, not to mention that he could reveal more unseemly info on Urban if he so chose.

Meyer can claim he informed his superiors, but did he fully inform them? We shall see.

The truth comes out. The issue is really simple: do you want a society where mob justice prevails, or do you want a society that assumes innocence until reasonable proof of guilt is established?

Sure, Urban may have done every despicable thing he’s accused of but so much of this is coming from deranged fans of competing programs, stupid kids, and activist types and it seems a little unfair... Even UFM deserves the chance to prove his innocence.

Some people will never believe and never relent in their criticism if he’s retained which is why I do believe there is a better than 50/50 chance he’s toast. It’s a PR driven world and I don’t know that these regents and presidents have the cojones to stand up to the mob anymore. They are scared for their behinds.
You can't defend Urban and claim the moral high ground can't your cake and eat it too.

McMurphy revealed Urban Meyer’s role and his lie in this situation. Arguing about details and overlooking the most important facts is a distraction, but it’s all Urban Meyer fans have to fall back on. The important facts are against him.

The article I linked brings up a very important point. Meyer said the AD, Gene Smith, was aware of the 2015 incident, but was Smith aware of the 2009 incident? We know Meyer was very aware. Did Meyer tell Smith that Coach Smith is a repeat offender. Why would Gene Smith forgive Coach Smith as a repeat offender? Or more likely, Meyer didn’t tell Smith about the 2009 incident b/c we know why Meyer would. Coach Smith is Meyer’s mentor’s grandson, not to mention that he could reveal more unseemly info on Urban if he so chose.

Meyer can claim he informed his superiors, but did he fully inform them? We shall see.

I’m pretty sure Urban said the 2009 incident turned out to be different than what was alleged. In 2018 the ex-wife is stating she was pressured to not press charges by among other people her own parents which is certainly interesting. This is all 20/20 hindsight and taking sides in a he said she said.

You can't defend Urban and claim the moral high ground can't your cake and eat it too.

Actually I can. It’s absolutely immoral to convict a man without a fair trial or due process. I’d say you’re acting immorally along with a lot of other virtue warriors.

If Urban hid a wife beater I’ll be first in line to kick him down the stairs. This is totally separate from the Zach Smith situation and he may yet face some problems legally. Two different things.

Last edited:

I’m pretty sure Urban said the 2009 incident turned out to be different than what was alleged. In 2018 the ex-wife is stating she was pressured to not press charges by among other people her own parents which is certainly interesting. This is all 20/20 hindsight and taking sides in a he said she said.
Her husband had a job that paid him $340K/year and was coaching at one of the best programs in the country. Her parents didn’t have to live with that jack@ss and may not have realized what was happening. This means little to me.

She tolerated it as long as she could and finally determined that she had enough. If she’s a liar, she has an unusual way of not stacking all of the “she saids” in her favor.

Which are? That he lied to the press? He said he did that. The only fact, and one we don't know and won't personally ever be privy to unless the committee releases a report is that Urban states he reported it. That's the only fact that matters. It doesn't make you a crazy Urban fan to say he deserves the details to come out before we convict him of sheltering a wife beater.

All that aside, I think he's an idiot for not just answering a seemingly straightforward question at a press conference if he reported it. If he didn't, he'll fry and it's what he deserves. We'll find out in under 2 weeks

Her husband had a job that paid him $340K/year and was coaching at one of the best programs in the country. Her parents didn’t have to live with that jack@ss and may not have realized what was happening. This means little to me.

She tolerated it as long as she could and finally determined that she had enough. If she’s a liar, she has an unusual way of not stacking all of the “she saids” in her favor.

Florida pays their graduate assistants 340k?

Hey I know, maybe you can be McMurphy’s fact checker.

McMurphy revealed Urban Meyer’s role and his lie in this situation.

Was it really a lie, misinformation for the means of deception, or was he ambushed with a tough question that he wasn’t prepared to talk about and therefore made a mistake in judgement?

You may not care, because you may want him to be fired so that the OSU football program will be hurt.

But it’s something that the OSU panel will have to consider. If they can’t fire him for cause, then it’s over, he’ll be reinstated.

There are facts, and then there is perception.

MN had a US Senator who was forced to resign because he posed for a stupid photo (before he was a Senator) and he might - I say might - have put his hand on some woman's butt while taking a picture at the State Fair. But Franken had to resign because of the perception that he treated women poorly, and the "me too"movement was looking for scalps.

So, if you can really determine the facts of the Urban Meyer case, it may very well be accurate that Meyer did nothing illegal, and did not violate school policy. but the perception is now in place that Meyer sheltered or enabled a wife-beater. If this happened before the "me too" movement, I would say Meyer gets through with little impact. but today, there is going to be enormous pressure on OSU. the regents and other highers-up who will ultimately decide this are politicians.

So, I say Meyer will receive some type of punishment. Maybe a multi-game suspension, but he keeps his job. (with the proviso that everyone has to go through sensitivity training, etc.)

There are facts, and then there is perception.

MN had a US Senator who was forced to resign because he posed for a stupid photo (before he was a Senator) and he might - I say might - have put his hand on some woman's butt while taking a picture at the State Fair. But Franken had to resign because of the perception that he treated women poorly, and the "me too"movement was looking for scalps.

So, if you can really determine the facts of the Urban Meyer case, it may very well be accurate that Meyer did nothing illegal, and did not violate school policy. but the perception is now in place that Meyer sheltered or enabled a wife-beater. If this happened before the "me too" movement, I would say Meyer gets through with little impact. but today, there is going to be enormous pressure on OSU. the regents and other highers-up who will ultimately decide this are politicians.

So, I say Meyer will receive some type of punishment. Maybe a multi-game suspension, but he keeps his job. (with the proviso that everyone has to go through sensitivity training, etc.)

Urban Meyer in his Tweet about the subject:

“The power of what I say and how I say it, especially regarding sensitive and serious domestic issues, has never been more evident than now. My words, whether in a reply to a reporter’s question or in addressing a personnel issue, must be clear, compassionate and most of all, completely accurate,” Meyer said. “Unfortunately at Big Ten media days on July 24th, I failed on many of these fronts. My intention was not to say anything inaccurate or misleading.

“However, I was not adequately prepared to discuss these sensitive personnel issues with the media, and I apologize for the way I handled those questions.”

Leaning towards believing that Meyer did inform his superiors. He had $7.8 million worth of reasons to do so. There are just two things to keep in mind regarding any "rush to judgement".

1. Not beinging "prepared" to answer a question about firing an Assistant Coach days before his opening press conference seems to be very hard to believe. He might not have been able to figure out how to finesse his answer, so he chose to lie about it instead. Lying to the public has never been a fireable offense in College Football. Otherwise Lou Holtz could have been fired when he talked about how "terrified" his team was whenever they faced a 3 touchdown plus underdog.

2. Maybe things didn't happen the way she said they did. The thing is if it did, we need to cut the accuser a lot of slack for not reporting Zach Smith in 2009. Smith was then a Graduate Assistant under Meyer when Urban was the Head Coach of the Florida Gators. The unofficial motto for the Gainesville Police Department for years has been "To protect and Serve the Gator Athletic Department". You can't blame anyone down there for thinking otherwise.

It's not the Twin Cities, where newspapers and tv stations rush to try and get as much dirt on the Gophers as they can. Or where the police would take a lot of heat if people thought they were even thinking of getting involved in something that would shield the Athletic Department at the U.

Pulitzers have been won by people digging up that kind of scandal up here. They'd get fired for that down in Gainesville.

Last edited:

Your vendetta against Urban Meyer is sad and quite frankly misinformed. You have projected your ~highly biased~ stance on this case to all of Gopherhole across multiple threads, so do everyone a favor and put a sock in it. You have no further knowledge than the rest of the general public, so stop acting like your viewpoints are innately superior to everyone else's. Let's let the case play out and let those who are tasked with jurisdiction to make the ultimate decision.

Last edited:

Your vendetta against Urban Meyer is sad and quite frankly misinformed. You have projected your ~highly biased~ stance on this case to all of Gopherhole across multiple threads, so do everyone a favor and put a sock in it. You have no further knowledge than the rest of the general public, so stop acting like your viewpoints are innately superior to everyone else's. Let's let the case play out and let those who are tasked with jurisdiction to make the ultimate decision.
Vendetta? Misinformed? Tell me what I’ve got wrong.

And this forum is for expressing opinions. You can take your sock and put it somewhere else?

Vendetta? Misinformed? Tell me what I’ve got wrong.

And this forum is for expressing opinions. You can take your sock and put it somewhere else?

Please tell me what conclusive incriminating evidence there is for firing Coach Meyer. You seem to be so tirelessly pushing for that. So I'd like to know what hard evidence you are basing that off of. I'd like to preface that by saying that he owes absolutely nothing to the media, so lying to or deceiving the media (whatever you choose to think) is hardly grounds for a coach to get in trouble. As long as he follows protocol, he has no right to be fired. Remember, he's a college football coach, not a professional detective.

Please tell me what conclusive incriminating evidence there is for firing Coach Meyer. You seem to be so tirelessly pushing for that. So I'd like to know what hard evidence you are basing that off of. I'd like to preface that by saying that he owes absolutely nothing to the media, so lying to or deceiving the media (whatever you choose to think) is hardly grounds for a coach to get in trouble. As long as he follows protocol, he has no right to be fired. Remember, he's a college football coach, not a professional detective.
I already highlighted a few knowns. Again:
He knew of 2009 and 2015. Whether he told the AD about 2009, we don’t know. If he didn’t, that’s a big problem.
He could’ve declined to answer specifics or personal questions. Instead, he chose to lie to the public, suggesting that reporters were lying. So he didn’t just lie, he accused others of lying. His #1 “core value” is Honesty. Sure.
Zach Smith has been fired, but only after the story was going to become public after the order against him. We can assume that this validates Mrs Smith’s account of prior events.
Mrs Smith has given a highly credible account, quite damning of Meyer’s & Ohio St’s handling, of the last 9 years, based on Meyer’s lack of public honesty about the circumstances, I believe her account.

Im more than happy to wait for anymore details, but if they don’t significantly change the above, he should be fired.

Urban Meyer’s first two core values for his team are Honesty and Treat Women with Respect. The others are no weapons, stealing, or drugs. Seriously? Don’t lie, hit your gf, have illegal guns, steal or do drugs.

Those are “core values” everybody should live by? My god. All but number 1 are the law.

Im more than happy to wait for anymore details, but if they don’t significantly change the above, he should be fired.

This is your moral opinion and judgment, to which you are entitled.

But the actual fact that matters is if the things you highlight allow OSU to make a compelling legal case that Meyer can be fired for cause, or not. You continue to ignore this.

I already highlighted a few knowns. Again:
He knew of 2009 and 2015. Whether he told the AD about 2009, we don’t know. If he didn’t, that’s a big problem.
He could’ve declined to answer specifics or personal questions. Instead, he chose to lie to the public, suggesting that reporters were lying. So he didn’t just lie, he accused others of lying. His #1 “core value” is Honesty. Sure.
Zach Smith has been fired, but only after the story was going to become public after the order against him. We can assume that this validates Mrs Smith’s account of prior events.
Mrs Smith has given a highly credible account, quite damning of Meyer’s & Ohio St’s handling, of the last 9 years, based on Meyer’s lack of public honesty about the circumstances, I believe her account.

Urban Meyer’s first two core values for his team are Honesty and Treat Women with Respect. The others are no weapons, stealing, or drugs. Seriously? Don’t lie, hit your gf, have illegal guns, steal or do drugs.

Those are “core values” everybody should live by? My god. All but number 1 are the law.

Mcmurphy did lie about the arrest and felony allegations. He claims to have an incident report showing an arrest but 48 hours later he still hasn’t been able to produce it. Curious as he tweeted out screen shots of texts between the Smith’s during Mr. Smith’s interview. Ergo, he doesn’t have it, never had it, and never bothered to fact check anything with the Powell PD.

He is a poor excuse for a journalist and still hasn’t retracted or properly amended his original story.

That’s one of the few facts we know thus far. Stay tuned.

Similar to tasking police departments to police their ranks of the bad apples better, journalists have absolutely failed in calling out shaded and outright dishonest stories and reporters.

This was coincidentally in the Tribune today. This is directed to every journalist out there: you’ve brought the distrust on yourselves. Clean it up, and stop with the Alfred E. Neumann “ who, me?” campaigns.

http://www.startribune.com/what-to-...s-when-their-field-is-under-attack/490303771/

Mcmurphy did lie about the arrest and felony allegations. He claims to have an incident report showing an arrest but 48 hours later he still hasn’t been able to produce it.
I thought the article that I linked in post #181 explained why the police report did denote it as an arrest and then changed it. Why is that not an understandable explanation for the change by McMurphy?

And Meyer said they were lying about the story in general and that someone had made it up entirely.

Similar to tasking police departments to police their ranks of the bad apples better, journalists have absolutely failed in calling out shaded and outright dishonest stories and reporters.

This was coincidentally in the Tribune today. This is directed to every journalist out there: you’ve brought the distrust on yourselves. Clean it up, and stop with the Alfred E. Neumann “ who, me?” campaigns.

http://www.startribune.com/what-to-...s-when-their-field-is-under-attack/490303771/

Good God, the column was mainly about how to face the attacks and deal with toxic atmosphere journalists are facing today. Do your job according to what you have been taught because it is your job to hold the powerful accountable. He isn't saying you have brought it on yourselves. It's basically an epistle to remain true to journalism standards, not a call for a reform. But continue to cherry pick in an effort to appear more rational than the rest of us.

I thought the article that I linked in post #181 explained why the police report did denote it as an arrest and then changed it. Why is that not an understandable explanation for the change by McMurphy?

And Meyer said they were lying about the story in general and that someone had made it up entirely.

I think what he's saying is, you've said there was the police report that was wrong that denoted he was arrested but no one has seen, why not just release it and publish it to make the PD answer to why the report used to say that? Unless he doesn't have it.

I think what he's saying is, you've said there was the police report that was wrong that denoted he was arrested but no one has seen, why not just release it and publish it to make the PD answer to why the report used to say that? Unless he doesn't have it.
What difference does it make if the police admitted that they checked, and later unchecked, the ‘arrest box’?

My point is there are incriminating known events by Zach Smith and Meyer. Unless they change the basic understanding of what appears to be Meyer protecting Smith, these kinds of little details are insignificant to Meyer’s defense.

What difference does it make if the police admitted that they checked, and later unchecked, the ‘arrest box’?

My point is there are incriminating known events by Zach Smith and Meyer. Unless they change the basic understanding of what appears to be Meyer protecting Smith, these kinds of little details are insignificant to Meyer’s defense.

Man I'm not picking sides, I'm just saying PE is stating that there's no known data that says he was arrested at that time.

Top Bottom