Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

And with that, Meyer will get off with a slap on the wrist given what he's saying now is true.

Ohio State doesn’t want to fire Urban Meyer. If they fire him, it will be b/c they have to whether it is for appearances, reputation, political correctness, or otherwise legitimate reasons.

If there is no proof that he knew or lied about this situation, I wouldn’t endorse firing him for “whispers”. But, there already appears to be very strong circumstantial evidence that he did know, made no attempt to investigate, didn’t report it to his superiors, and lied.

I saw a Buckeye media site comparing it to the Colorado head coach’s situation when an assistant was accused of hitting his girlfriend. It pointed out that the alleged abusive assistant kept his job through the season after the allegation was made directly to the head coach, that the assistant resigned after the season, and the head coach didn’t lose his job for not revealing it publicly. There were, however, very significant differences. The head coach immediately went to the AD with the allegations. They investigated the allegations. The assistant was allowed to stay while the allegations were investigated. Urban didn’t take any of those steps.

I share your concerns about politically correct or appearance dismissals, but I don’t think that is the case here.

I gave up my Colorado season tickets because the coach was not fired in this case and have not repurchased them since. What happened in Colorado was wrong but I think the big difference is that the #MeToo world has changed things. Wives have talked to their husbands about the abuse they endure daily. My daughter told me the other day about being harassed by three different guys taking the train and bus home from the airport in Seattle with one of them calling her a bitch. What's changed is good guys have become aware of the Weinsteins, Trumps, Clintons, Cosbys of the world, they've become aware of the everyday indignities that women endure and the good guys have stood up for women and said "no more". I can tell you as a Boulder resident, if it happened again, our coach would be out the door immediately. The world has changed and great coaches won't be tolerated for the flaws as human beings. The poor treatment of women is systemic and I for one am glad we have a coach who is trying to teach guys how to behave...best grades ever, etiquette dinners, trips to the children's hospital...I'll be a fan even if we don't win on the field (but I suspect we will soon).

I gave up my Colorado season tickets because the coach was not fired in this case and have not repurchased them since. What happened in Colorado was wrong but I think the big difference is that the #MeToo world has changed things. Wives have talked to their husbands about the abuse they endure daily. My daughter told me the other day about being harassed by three different guys taking the train and bus home from the airport in Seattle with one of them calling her a bitch. What's changed is good guys have become aware of the Weinsteins, Trumps, Clintons, Cosbys of the world, they've become aware of the everyday indignities that women endure and the good guys have stood up for women and said "no more". I can tell you as a Boulder resident, if it happened again, our coach would be out the door immediately. The world has changed and great coaches won't be tolerated for the flaws as human beings. The poor treatment of women is systemic and I for one am glad we have a coach who is trying to teach guys how to behave...best grades ever, etiquette dinners, trips to the children's hospital...I'll be a fan even if we don't win on the field (but I suspect we will soon).

Really appreciate this post.

The sad truth is that women have been treaty poorly and unfairly since ... well, forever ... and well, in just about every culture (historical and modern) in the world. Sometimes it's "only" being paid less than a male colleague, other times it's physical abuse. It is so systemic, passed down from generation to generation. Young boys see their fathers, brothers, uncles, cousins, etc. doing it. They learn to do it, and accept it.

Women are trying to turn a corner, trying to fight back. It's going to take ... generations ... before it's finally a fair world, for them. But at least they are trying. I don't know if you saw the video from France where a women stands up to and confronts a cat-caller, and the j__-off punches her in the head for that. I read they're writing a law against cat-calling now. (here is story/video, it is disturbing to watch *warning* https://nypost.com/2018/07/30/cat-calling-man-punches-woman-who-called-him-out/)

Last edited:

So, if I'm following this correctly -
Meyer is now saying he knew about and reported the 2015 incident.
Smith is now saying the AD and the police knew about the 2015 incident.

Meyer - to be kind, misspoke at B1G Media days - or to be unkind, flat-out lied. I don't think lying to the media is a fireable offense.

But, my question - so if everyone knew about the 2015 incident - why wait till 2018 to fire Smith. What changed from 2015 to 2018? Apparently, (my opinion) the only thing that changed was Meyer thought that the 2015 incident was about to become public.

In other words, "if this comes out, it's going to look bad. I'd better fire the guy to cover my butt."

And now, the bigger question - at what point does the NCAA get involved? Lack of institutional control, anyone?

My (limited) understanding is the firing had to do with Smith breaking the protection order. That’s news, and obviously in this day and age it looks bad to have someone on your staff pinched for violating a protection order. I wouldn’t draw a straight line between 2015 and 2018. They seem like mutually exclusive events, ie he was never arrested in 2015 or to our knowledge found guilty by the school at that time. Once the police became involved and charged him in 2018 that brought the firing.

My (limited) understanding is the firing had to do with Smith breaking the protection order. That’s news, and obviously in this day and age it looks bad to have someone on your staff pinched for violating a protection order. I wouldn’t draw a straight line between 2015 and 2018. They seem like mutually exclusive events, ie he was never arrested in 2015 or to our knowledge found guilty by the school at that time. Once the police became involved and charged him in 2018 that brought the firing.

That’s how I took it also, but I highly doubt Smith went from 15 to 18 without having another similar type incident with her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s how I took it also, but I highly doubt Smith went from 15 to 18 without having another similar type incident with her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that’s the case, and since the statute of limitations hasn’t been eclipsed and with the overwhelming photo evidence :rolleyes: then the police ought to be arresting him any day now, right? He is currently facing a trespass charge so let’s see what happens with that.

Some are trying way too hard. Occam’s razor applies.

Last edited:

And then you come up with this? Might want to get a bigger mirror.

"I’m not saying it was ketchup, but I’m not saying it wasn’t."

I don’t think I’m necessarily wrong that it looks a little off, but it could be legitimate. Maybe it’s the lighting and zoom.

Last edited:

And now, the bigger question - at what point does the NCAA get involved? Lack of institutional control, anyone?

This is an interesting point to bring up. The LoIC policy does allow the NCAA to investigate, if it chooses, in pretty much any high-profile case.

A totally different slant at all of this. When events don't make sense, follow the money...

Maybe history is repeating itself and Meyer wants out of tOSU just like he wanted out at Florida -- he's burned out after a run of 5 years. Perhaps he's in a similar situation to what he had at the end of hs Florida days, where after year 4 he started losing control of the locker room (the star players basically did a mutiny, they decided how they'd practice and play, in order to win Meyer had to play them so he couldn't lay down a hammer of enforcement, he rode out the season but quit after it was done). Or perhaps he's simply tired of dealing with all the pressure of being a HC at tOSU. There's a lot a reasons someone would want out, just assume for the moment that's the case here. He wants out, but he'd also like that $40M severance clause (on a side note, is that amount way out of line for football coaches, $40 million if you fire me???). He's thinking it's best to leave now rather than have a down season (down as in they won't contend for a national championship). But, he can't just quit at the beginning of a season, and if he did quit he'd walk away from that $40M severance deal. So, in a pure genius move he (a) fires the controversial Zach right before BIG Media Days; and then (b) deliberately lies about the firing in front of the media. By firing Zach just prior to the Media Days he knows he's going to get asked about it (versus it being old news), and when he is asked instead of giving a detailed explanation (e.g., yes, when I first heard of the 2015 situation I immediately reported it to my superiors, and worked hard to help improve the situation between he and his wife, etc), he lies about it. This way he ensures that he'll get maximum coverage for doing something to which tOSU ultimately has to let him go but legally they can't fire him with cause. Meyer simply says a few days after all the negative coverage is out that he "mis-spoke" at the BIG media days, and that he actually did everything correct -- he reported the 2015 matter to his superiors, he told Zach in 2015 that "if you ever touch her out of anger I'll fire your ass", he worked with the couple to provide counseling, supported the wife through his wife, etc... etc... ect... tOSU has to fire him because of the outcry of the entire situation, but legally they can't fire him with cause, so he gets out of a year of turmoil as HC of tOSU, he gets his big severance package (or at least a big portion of it that is negotiated down to say $20M), and football fans actually feel bad for him (a coach that tried to do all the right things, but got caught up in an unfair media blitz). He can return to coaching if he wants, but with a $40M paycheck he doesn't have to. All told, it's a brilliant Machiavellian move.

I've totally made up all the above, just connecting dots. Thought I'd throw a few gallons of gas on this dumpster fire to see what people think...

Last edited:

A totally different slant at all of this. When events don't make sense, follow the money...

Maybe history is repeating itself and Meyer wants out of tOSU just like he wanted out at Florida -- he's burned out after a run of 5 years. Perhaps he's in a similar situation to what he had at the end of hs Florida days, where after year 4 he started losing control of the locker room (the star players basically did a mutiny, they decided how they'd practice and play, in order to win Meyer had to play them so he couldn't lay down a hammer of enforcement, he rode out the season but quit after it was done). Or perhaps he's simply tired of dealing with all the pressure of being a HC at tOSU. There's a lot a reasons someone would want out, just assume for the moment that's the case here. He wants out, but he'd also like that $40M severance clause (on a side note, is that amount way out of line for football coaches, $40 million if you fire me???). He's thinking it's best to leave now rather than have a down season (down as in they won't contend for a national championship). But, he can't just quit at the beginning of a season, and if he did quit he'd walk away from that $40M severance deal. So, in a pure genius move he (a) fires the controversial Zach the right before BIG Media Days; and then (b) deliberately lies about the firing in front of the media. By firing Zach just prior to the Media Days he knows he's going to get asked about it (versus it being old news), and when he is asked instead of giving a detailed explanation (e.g., yes, when I first heard of the 2015 situation I immediately reported it to my superiors, and worked hard to help improve the situation between he and his wife, etc), he lies about it. This way he ensures that he'll get maximum coverage for doing something to which tOSU ultimately has to let him go but legally they can't fire him with cause. Meyer simply says a few days after all the negative coverage is out that he "mis-spoke" at the BIG media days, and that he actually did everything correct -- he reported the 2015 matter to his superiors, he told Zach in 2015 that "if you ever touch her out of anger I'll fire your ass", he worked with the couple to provide counseling, supported the wife through his wife, etc... etc... ect... tOSU has to fire him because of the outcry of the entire situation, but legally they can't fire him with cause, so he gets out of a year of turmoil as HC of tOSU, he gets his big severance package (or at least a big portion of it that is negotiated down to say $20M), and football fans actually feel bad for him (a coach that tried to do all the right things, but got caught up in an unfair media blitz). He can return to coaching if he wants, but with a $40M paycheck he doesn't have to. All told, it's a brilliant Machiavellian move.

I've totally made up all the above, just connecting dots. Thought I'd throw a few gallons of gas on this dumpster fire to see what people think...

If Haskins is as good as predicted this is probably the most loaded OSU team in recent history.

It’s going to be really interesting to see what happens as far as the committee and their findings. Are they looking for a reason to justify firing him for cause, or are they looking for a way to defend keeping him without eliciting mob rage? I’d lean towards the former but wouldn’t be surprised by the latter. With either scenario OSU will have major detractors and haters. There is no winning scenario for OSU as far as public relations. If they hid a known abuser that is far, far worse which is why it seems so unlikely.

Sexism and abuse is ubiquitous in the preceding decades and even today. Women for so long had to endure the harassment that you don't want your wife or daughter or any woman to endure. The need for changes is long overdue.

Attitudes in the seventies and eighties are a lot more different than today.

But, there needs to be some form of privacy protection afforded to staff and their families like the privacy laws protect students.

Reporting it when knowledge of abuse is known is paramount. But, the University, the coaching staff, counselors, all those involved should be allowed to work on rectifying their issues with a semblance of privacy. However, if there are blatant overt abuses there is no doubt that the perpetrator and those who try to cover it up should have grounds for immediate termination.

We don't know the facts in the Zach Smith case. But it appears that it may have been reported, people in the administration and the coach knew about it, and maybe there were attempts to remedy the situation. The police were involved in the investigations. Then, I hear the story about Zack Smith violating his protection order which triggered an immediate firing. The other part is the misstatement by Urban Meyer and the reporter's penchant to sniff out a story.

Are these all true? I don't know. We'll have to let the process run its course.

Last edited:

Sexism and abuse is ubiquitous in the preceding decades and even today. Women for so long had to endure the harassment that you don't want your wife or daughter or any woman to endure. The need for changes is long overdue.

Attitudes in the seventies and eighties are a lot more different than today.

But, there needs to be some form of privacy protection afforded to staff and their families like the privacy laws protect students.

Reporting it when knowledge of abuse is known is paramount. But, the University, the coaching staff, counselors, all those involved should be allowed to work on rectifying their issues with a semblance of privacy. However, if there are blatant overt abuses there is no doubt that the perpetrator and those who try to cover it up should have grounds for immediate termination.

We don't know the facts in the Zach Smith case. But it appears that it may have been reported, people in the administration and the coach knew about it, and maybe there were attempts to remedy the situation. The police were involved in the investigations. Then, I hear the story about Zack Smith violating his protection order which triggered an immediate firing. The other part is the misstatement by Urban Meyer and the reporter's penchant to sniff out a story.

Are these all true? I don't know. We'll have to let the process run its course.

Not so fast, my friend. The original Facebook report by McMurphy stated Smith was arrested for felony assault. McMurphy then changed the story on Facebook after Urban’s Big Ten media appearance to “investigated”. Perhaps that’s why Urban stated he didn’t know why someone would make up a story like that.

Urban said the 2015 incident was “nothing” and that appears to be the case as the police did not arrest or file charges. It’s not at all clear that Mrs Smith even wanted that (an arrest)to happen or was cooperative at the time for financial or codependent reasons as already discussed. Is Urban a police detective? The committee report should shed light. So many assumptions around this.

More here:
https://thespun.com/college-footbal...zach-smith-report-appears-to-have-been-edited

So now the evidence appears to show that McMurphy *seems* to be both an inaccurate and unethical reporter desperate to deliver a broadside to Urban and OSU. Pro tip, Brett: the Pi Press may be interested. We know no arrest was made despite Ohio not requiring the accuser’s cooperation. We know Urban flatly stated he sent the allegation up the chain which should be easily disproved or proven.

This case seems to be springing leaks and the bilge pumps are fried. Despite all this and a lack of evidence the mob will still believe OSU sheltered a known abuser because that’s what they do - is that enough for dismissal with cause? Are there more bombshells on the way that will shift the weight of evidence one way or the other? Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Hey - it wouldn't be the first time a prominent individual - or one with powerful friends - was not arrested despite the appearance of (at least) a possible crime.

In MN, we're used to the justice system cutting no slack for college athletes. but - believe it or not - in some big-time college towns, coaches and athletes who come into contact with law enforcement personnel often walk away with no charges, because the powers-that-be do not want to "embarrass the program."

We're talking about Earle Bruce's grandson - a coach for OSU - one of the top programs in the country. Is is that hard to believe that the cops might cut him a break?

If the exact same incident took place - only the guy involved was Joe Schmuck and he works in an office cubicle somewhere, with no famous friends or relatives - would charges have been filed? I'm cynical enough to say yes, that's possible.

Hey - it wouldn't be the first time a prominent individual - or one with powerful friends - was not arrested despite the appearance of (at least) a possible crime.

In MN, we're used to the justice system cutting no slack for college athletes. but - believe it or not - in some big-time college towns, coaches and athletes who come into contact with law enforcement personnel often walk away with no charges, because the powers-that-be do not want to "embarrass the program."

We're talking about Earle Bruce's grandson - a coach for OSU - one of the top programs in the country. Is is that hard to believe that the cops might cut him a break?

If the exact same incident took place - only the guy involved was Joe Schmuck and he works in an office cubicle somewhere, with no famous friends or relatives - would charges have been filed? I'm cynical enough to say yes, that's possible.

Any cop that would do such a thing ought to be in prison. I’m sure there are instances of that happening, particularly for crimes not involving abuse of children or women, but most men, even fans, revile wife beaters as they do child abusers. I just don’t think it’s that common.

The cracks are showing across the journalism world. Stu Mandel has been a really good CFB reporter but he’s absolutely lost his mind over this.

If I was Urban I wouldn't do a single interview with ESPN for the upcoming season and would probably be demanding an apology from McMurphy at the very least, or maybe even suing for libel.

One would think that if his allegations were proven wrong, then Urban Meyer may have a case for libel. I am not a lawyer, but damage to his reputation through social media and public assertions is already done regardless of where the truth lies.

Last edited:

If I was Urban I wouldn't do a single interview with ESPN for the upcoming season and would probably be demanding an apology from McMurphy at the very least, or maybe even suing for libel.

If you're Uban you talk to your lawyer and do what he says.

One would think that if his allegations were proven wrong, then Urban Meyer may have a case for libel. I am not a lawyer, but damage to his reputation through social media and public acertions is already done regardless of where the truth lies.

The question will be, if this ends up being the case, does Urban want to keep drawing attention to it? I mean hell, this could be a situation where you fry one reporter and it makes the blood-crazy masses start to check themselves. This could turn into a landmark case in not the journalists' favor

Also interested to see how the media (like ESPN) responds if the reddit material is true about McMurphy after the absolute blast they put Meyer on in this case

Something needs to be done nationally legally for cases where one's reputation is damaged.

A more important question nationally is the social media spewing out "fake news" and "alternative facts". Sooner or later, there may be a possibility of a landmark case going all the way into the Supreme Court.

Something needs to be done nationally legally for cases where one's reputation is damaged.

A more important question nationally is the social media spewing out "fake news" and "alternative facts". Sooner or later, there may be a possibility of a landmark case going all the way into the Supreme Court.

We'll see how the press reacts to SCOTUS "re-imagining" the 1st amendment like the press would like to see the 2nd and 11th amendments "re-imagined".

Teflon McMurphy won’t see a single repercussion from this.

I think the OSU panel will conclude that there is insufficient evidence to warrant firing Meyer for cause and will therefore vote to keep him, behind closed doors. In public, they’ll issue a statement strongly worded in support for victims of domestic abuse and reprimand Meyer for hiring Smith in the first place. They might suspend him for a game or two, but could well just fully reinstate him on the spot.

Meyer will apologize, thank the OSU panel for their thorough and thoughtful analysis, and get back to work.

By the end of the season, especially if OSU wins the league and goes to the CFP, this will barely be a footnote.

Top Bottom