Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

Wow! That’s a powerful video. What an absolute piece of [emoji90] Urban Meyer is! I put Ohio St football up there with the sh^t schools when it comes to football. No morals, no leadership. This is the 2nd football coach they will have had to fire due to cover ups and lies from the head man, and this one much worse. Urban Meyer will go down as a sh^t bag of a human being in my book. From Florida to Ohio St. A big time hypocrite and fraud. Way too big for his britches as they say. F the buckeyes. Heck, f the spartans and f the nittany lions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a coach at OK that was recently lionized upon retirement (by many on this board no less) despite coddling and reinstating a star player caught on camera breaking the jaw of his girlfriend.

Some days I feel like I’m taking the crazy pills...

I agree with all that. I do think your point #1 is extremely dangerous and irresponsible for all manner of reasons which is why we have a long tradition of point #2 in the civilized west.

I agree with this. My point #1 is more or less is just what I foresee happening, not so much that I agree with it (which I'd say I can't say agree or disagree until I have the info)

Six years at Florida, 31 player arrests.

Urban Meyer likes to surround himself with sub-humans.

Urban isn't going to go anywhere because of this. It's gross but they'll say they took the appropriate actions at the time, it's not against NCAA rules, and dance around the fact that he flat out lied about his knowledge of the events because he wins a bunch. If he was pumping out 9-3 seasons instead of 11-1 it might be different.

#excusesareforlosers. #levelplayingfield

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems to me that with this added contract language in his extension in April, tOSU would have cause....

I agree with all that. I do think your point #1 is extremely dangerous and irresponsible for all manner of reasons which is why we have a long tradition of point #2 in the civilized west.

Unfortunately perhaps, what “looks bad” is entirely dependent on current climate and attitudes surrounding the (alleged) situation.

Today we live in a hyper-aware, hyper-sensitive, and hyper-reactive climate. Anything that “looks bad” can quickly turn into a very bad situation if not handled well.

tOSU fired Tressel for things that, while egregiously breaking NCAA rules, were relatively inconsequential compared to what's at stake here, so they do have experience pulling the trigger. Moral of the story: Guys, if you and your wife or girlfriend are having problems to the extent you want to inflict physical violence, get a divorce/break-up or at least separate and go to counseling if you are determined to remain in the relationship.

tOSU fired Tressel for things that, while egregiously breaking NCAA rules, were relatively inconsequential compared to what's at stake here, so they do have experience pulling the trigger. Moral of the story: Guys, if you and your wife or girlfriend are having problems to the extent you want to inflict physical violence, get a divorce/break-up or at least separate and go to counseling if you are determined to remain in the relationship.

That's really not the lesson here.

The lesson here is that if you've heard rumors of another person hitting their wife, fire them immediately.

People are fired all the time all over the country for actions that while not illegal, will affect their ability to do their job. There have to be mothers and fathers who will look differently at an OSU scholarship offer for their son than they would have previously.

Above you ask, "How would firing Zach Smith have helped Courtney Smith and her children? How would it have stopped the abuse?" I'd note that at one point Urban Meyer left football to focus on family and his health. Perhaps firing Urban Meyer will help him and his family.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but weren’t the police involved in both the 2015 and 2009 episodes? What was Urban supposed to do?../QUOTE]

No, but a contract provision in the extension that brought him his extra millions said he had to report "any known violations". He said he didn't know of any. It sounds like he lied about that.

It doesn't sound like "Gestapo" tactics. It sounds like Meyer's bosses didn't like being lied to or ignored:

To the section covering Meyer’s specific duties and responsibilities, a provision was added that reads in part: "Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event."

For the purposes of this provision, the contract states, "a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or an allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause to believe is taking place or may have taken place."

To the section covering reasons for termination for cause, a provision was added that states Meyer’s contract can be terminated if he fails to promptly report to the university’s deputy Title IX coordinator-athletics or the university’s Title IX coordinator "any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...mended-contract-could-pose-problem/885020002/

If the police were already involved was he suppose to report it to the University? I don't know, I am really asking. Forget it, I see it no at the bottom.

And....? Then what?

I’m not misquoting her. That’s just about verbatim. Go to the 11:00 minute mark or so.
I heard what she said that. This is how you ended your post:

“You people are acting like there was a coverup when in fact the police were involved, and she told Urban straight to his face everything was great? She apparently never told Urban. She never went to the press (until now).”...

That is a significant exaggeration. She said that “they were fine”, and said to the interviewer “what was she going to say”. Think about it, are you going to unload on your husband’s boss in public? Say no, he’s still beating me?

If Urban really wanted to know the details, he’d talk to her directly in private. But I don’t believe he had an interest in knowing. And you’re really contradicting yourself here. If he suspected nothing, why would he ask how they were? You’re basically admitting that Shelley told him.

She thoroughly explained her actions and the reasoning behind them, and I see no conflicts with what reasonably occurred. She blamed herself and her family for not doing something sooner and pressing charges instead of being dissuaded.

Last edited:

The lesson here is that if you've heard rumors of another person hitting their wife, fire them immediately.
You act as if there is nothing between firing him on the spot and letting him off the hook. That’s BS.

I heard what she said that. This is how you ended your post:

“You people are acting like there was a coverup when in fact the police were involved, and she told Urban straight to his face everything was great? She apparently never told Urban. She never went to the press (until now).”...

That is a significant exaggeration. She said that “they were fine”, and said to the interviewer “what was she going to say”. Think about it, are you going to unload on your husband’s boss in public? Say no, he’s still beating me?

If Urban really wanted to know the details, he’d talk to her directly in private. But I don’t believe he had an interest in knowing. And you’re really contradicting yourself here. If he suspected nothing, why would he ask how they were? You’re basically admitting that Shelley told him.

She thoroughly explained her actions and the reasoning behind them, and I see no conflicts with what reasonably occurred. She blamed herself and her family for not doing something sooner and pressing charges instead of being dissuaded.

Again, you’re wrong. Watch the interview. There’s no need to exaggerate or make things up for sake of effect. What was preventing her from going directly to Urban? Urban probably asks family members how they’re doing all the time. It doesn’t mean he “knows” anything. It was, however an opportunity to ask to have a private conversation as you stated. Failing that she certainly had access to him in any number of ways.

It’s clear you’re very biased. Despite that you absolutely could be right about Urban. I don’t know.

Last edited:

1) would firing him have prevented the domestic abuse?

2) wrongful termination if the "rumors" turn out to be false?

You people are acting like there was a coverup when in fact the police were involved, and she told Urban straight to his face everything was great? She apparently never told Urban. She never went to the press (until now). This is far more complicated than you all seem to believe.

So again, what was he supposed to do?
The police do nothing unless charges are filed. If charges are filed and she has the pictures that she had, he would be fired instantly.

Yeah, it’s more complicated b/c there was pressure on her to stay in an abusive relationship, let him act however he was going to act, and continue without disrupting his life. Her life was completely messed up and he bleed her dry, but that’s ok?

I believe she came to the conclusion that her husband was and IS ruining her life, and she had enough. She decided to be in charge of this horrible situation and took action.

What could Urban had done? He apparently talked to Coach Smith. Smith lied. Whether Smith told him the truth or not, he could have reported what he knew to the AD and let them handle it, but he decided to conceal it b/c of what his coach, friend, and mentor’s family hoped he would do.

Tremendously poor judgment or concealment? We don’t know. Either way, he loses his $7 million/year job.

1) would firing him have prevented the domestic abuse?

2) wrongful termination if the "rumors" turn out to be false?
It’s not his job to determine if firing would prevent the abuse or even decide to fire him. It’s Urban’s job to report what he knows. It’s in his contract.

The police do nothing unless charges are filed. If charges are filed and she has the pictures that she had, he would be fired instantly.

Yeah, it’s more complicated b/c there was pressure on her to stay in an abusive relationship, let him act however he was going to act, and continue without disrupting his life. Her life was completely messed up and he bleed her dry, but that’s ok?

I believe she came to the conclusion that her husband was and IS ruining her life, and she had enough. She decided to be in charge of this horrible situation and took action.

What could Urban had done? He apparently talked to Coach Smith. Smith lied. Whether Smith told him the truth or not, he could have reported what he knew to the AD and let them handle it, but he decided to conceal it b/c of what his coach, friend, and mentor’s family hoped he would do.

Tremendously poor judgment or concealment? We don’t know. Either way, he loses his $7 million/year job.

I don’t know what you’re talking about at this point. Calm down.

Again, you’re wrong. Watch the interview. There’s no need to exaggerate or make things up for sake of effect. What was preventing her from going directly to Urban? Urban probably asks family members how they’re doing all the time. It doesn’t mean he “knows” anything. It was, however an opportunity to ask to have a private conversation as you stated. Failing that she certainly had access to him in any number of ways.

It’s clear you’re very biased. Despite that you absolutely could be right about Urban. I don’t know.
I’m definitely biased against wife abusers and narcissistic, hypocrite phonies.

But the fact that he had an obligation to report what he knew and didn’t is all that is important in this situation.

You’re misquoting the abused ex-wife. She didn’t say that “she never told the wives”. She said that she didn’t give the wives the details on what they knew to be a bad marital situation. She also said that she later revealed to Shelly Meyer all of the details and that Shelly Meyer told her that she was going to tell her husband (Urban).

She also implied that Urban must have known b/c he took her to the side and said “how are you guys doing?”. That’s a comment from somebody who knows things aren’t going well.

And, Urban proclaimed how close he and his wife are. Do you honestly believe that Shelly Meyer, who is desperately concerned about Zach Smith’s abuse of his wife, would not tell Urban what is happening? The text exchanges that have been forwarded to McMurphy suggest that Urban Meyer knew. His actions toward her suggest that he knew. He also knew of the 2009 incident.

Furthermore, Meyer claimed at Big Ten Media days that he was unaware of the abuse in 2015. Then he fired Zach Smith the next day. He would’ve been better off just saying he wasn’t going to discuss it rather than apparently lie to the media.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...quote-from-urban-meyer-at-big-ten-media-days/

Come on. Even a ton of Buckeye fans are commenting that this looks really bad.

I suppose it’s possible that Urban’s wife, who Urban considers a partner in his professional life, a wife that knew all of the details about the abuse and sided with the abused wife, a wife that told the abused woman that she was going to tell Urban about the abuse, wouldn’t actually tell Urban about one of THE most important personal issues of his closest staff member. But it’s highly unlikely. Like 100-1 that she didn’t. And if she didn’t, she should have.
She definitely should have, as a University employee Shelly Meyer was obligated to report it. My guess is she told Urban and left it up to him and Urban ignored it because of who is grandpa is. The sad thing is if he really cared about this guy and his marriage, he should have fired him and done everything in his power to help him. Could've gotten him therapy, rehab etc, helped him land on his feet with another program, not like there's a shortage of Urban Meyer deciples in college football.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I admittedly (and sloppily) confused Meyer's purported actions with Smith's. I was driving at the antecedent, which is Smith's alleged behavior. If there's no bad behavior on Smith's part (and there may not be although I tend to believe women in cases like these), there's no issue. That's what I was driving at.

It’s not his job to determine if firing would prevent the abuse or even decide to fire him. It’s Urban’s job to report what he knows. It’s in his contract.

But read the post I quoted. What you just said, in no way, shape, or form jives with the following quote "The lesson here is that if you've heard rumors of another person hitting their wife, fire them immediately."

This is a very Cruze-like take. Hey, it’s a process. Like most people, in my world the “authorities” are law enforcement not the crazy campus activists. If law enforcement decides nothing happened, despite photos, medical exams, the wife’s testimony it seems like the focus should be on the why the police failed to act. That seems like an unexplored story.

There was a coach at OK that was recently lionized upon retirement (by many on this board no less) despite coddling and reinstating a star player caught on camera breaking the jaw of his girlfriend.

Some days I feel like I’m taking the crazy pills...

You must have really thought this post was a gem to have posted it 3 times.

You also sound like someone who likes to beat women.

Top Bottom