Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

https://sports.yahoo.com/two-key-el...recarious-situation-ohio-state-023055036.html

Perhaps Shelley and the others really did keep it to themselves and thus neither Urban, nor anyone else at Ohio State, was aware of the allegation and couldn’t spark an investigation into it.

Or perhaps Urban was aware of it on some level and just lied last week to the media? If he was aware, how aware was he? And what did he do about it? Did he investigate himself? Did he pass it up the chain of command within the Buckeyes athletic department...

The bottom line, for some people, is that they want this to be another Penn State. They're trying their damnedest to make it out to be that. People hated Paterno. People hate Urban Meyer.

But .... it isn't. Not even close.

Doesn't mean Urban won't still lose the job.

The one person who is going to be Teflon here? McMurphy. It could come out that everything he said was false, and nothing would happen to him. I do hope McMurphy gets some backfire from this. He obviously had a personal agenda and/or an axe to grind, in my opinion.

Last edited:

I'm not even talking about PC dismissals or dismissals for appearance, are you okay with someone getting fired because they heard about a fellow had an issue with domestic violence and they didn't report it?

I realize it's a rule (because of Title IX) and I realize tOSU could fire him regardless.

Agree there is a lot we don't know about how/if OSU addressed the 2015 incident. There was a pattern going back to 2009, so you'd think anything related would cause Meyer more pause than the response he gave...something feels off about the situation to me. Speculation...but OSU's quick response with the LOA also plays into the thought that there's more here than meets the eye.

But is PJ at the top of the list when Urban loses his job?

But is PJ at the top of the list when Urban loses his job?

Nope. If Urban is dismissed I think they look to the gentleman just hired at Purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not even talking about PC dismissals or dismissals for appearance, are you okay with someone getting fired because they heard about a fellow had an issue with domestic violence and they didn't report it?

I realize it's a rule (because of Title IX) and I realize tOSU could fire him regardless.
Gene Chizik was on ESPN talking about a head coach’s responsibilities. He included EVERYTHING that is going on personally with an assistant and an assistant’s spouse as a head coach’s business to monitor and report. He said that coaches wives are also a part of the monitoring process and support system for the coaching families.

A big time college football program isn’t like a regular business. A select few people that are connected in almost a familial way must devote themselves in ways that aren’t typical for a job and employer. They are the most recognizable figures representing the program and school, and will be held to high standards b/c of the stakes.

Meyer was hoisted with his own petard. His first two “core values” for his players are honesty and “treating women with respect”. That is an epic failure on his part.

Absolutely.

I think it's a slam dunk that he can be fired for breaking his contract.

The larger issue for me is whether or not that is what we want as a society.

Ohio State University is a large institution that dominates Columbus. Do we really want to fire any employee of the University that might hear whispers of a fellow employee's history of domestic violence? To me, that's insane and an absolute abuse of power.

He was very much involved in the 2009 incident. All the coaches wives knew for multiple seasons. Other than that, Urban had no idea about Earl Bruce’s grandson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urban had a duty to report what was going on and then from there the powers that be would have an obligation to investigate. Meyer failed to do what is in his contract, they can fire fire him for cause if they want to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Urban had a duty to report what was going on and then from there the powers that be would have an obligation to investigate. Meyer failed to do what is in his contract, they can fire fire him for cause if they want to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Understood. That wasn't my point.

My point is questioning whether or not that is a good thing for society.

I completely understand that it violated his contract.

My question is whether or not anyone in any position should be fired for hearing that a fellow co-worker had an issue with domestic violence and then didn't report?

Understood. That wasn't my point.

My point is questioning whether or not that is a good thing for society.

I completely understand that it violated his contract.

My question is whether or not anyone in any position should be fired for hearing that a fellow co-worker had an issue with domestic violence and then didn't report?
I wouldn’t compare Urban Meyer to “a fellow co-worker”. A fellow co-worker doesn’t have supervisory responsibility and accountability.

I wouldn’t compare Urban Meyer to “a fellow co-worker”. A fellow co-worker doesn’t have supervisory responsibility and accountability.

The rule applies to everyone. . . fellow assistants, Urban's wife (she's a nurse at the school), etc.

So "fellow co-worker" is absolutely apt.

The rule applies to everyone. . . fellow assistants, Urban's wife (she's a nurse at the school), etc.

So "fellow co-worker" is absolutely apt.
Then you’re reservations about this situation have little to do with this being Urban Meyer, a head coach of a big time program. That’s a different issue.

Like it or not, this is happening in the #metoo era. So far, it's mainly been politicians and people in the entertainment business going down. Now, we could see this extending into the sports world.

the heat on Ohio State is going to get turned up to surface-of-the-sun levels.

Whether Meyer is actually guilty of anything - or not - Ohio State is going to be under immense pressure to cut him loose.

I don't get what you're driving at. Isn't almost everyone looking for more prestige, more exposure, more acclaim, more money in their job? So what?

Only that he was motivated because he had an axe to grind. That doesn't disprove the work he did, or invalidate the effort.

You're certainly free to say that some of the best work people do is because they're motivated by anger and/or revenge. That's fine. I just don't consider it a "pure" motivation. But again ... that doesn't really mean anything, at the end of the day, I guess.

Then you’re reservations about this situation have little to do with this being Urban Meyer, a head coach of a big time program. That’s a different issue.

Yes, it's a different issue, but it's still a decent point. Imagine for a second that it's not Urban Meyer that heard the allegation, it's the $15/hr janitor cleaning the the Athletic Department offices. You think he might just be a tad hesitant to report a domestic abuse allegation against the Ohio State football program that he has only heard as a second hand rumor?

That doesn't 'excuse' him. He should still report it. But now he can get fired if he doesn't?

Only that he was motivated because he had an axe to grind. That doesn't disprove the work he did, or invalidate the effort.

You're certainly free to say that some of the best work people do is because they're motivated by anger and/or revenge. That's fine. I just don't consider it a "pure" motivation. But again ... that doesn't really mean anything, at the end of the day, I guess.

Where are you getting the ax to grind from out of that article? Because he was laid off at ESPN, he went after Urban Meyer? I read it more like ESPN eating some crow and acknowledging his reporting by having him on SC.

Where are you getting the ax to grind from out of that article? Because he was laid off at ESPN, he went after Urban Meyer? I read it more like ESPN eating some crow and acknowledging his reporting by having him on SC.

I think he had an ax to grind with Urban, and with ESPN. He took delight in pointing out their lateness in acknowledging his independent publishing, and then relished in the opportunity to appear on the channel as a guest.

But like dp said ... so what? Well, nothing. I guess my sentiment is rather worthless. Oh well ..

I think he had an ax to grind with Urban, and with ESPN. He took delight in pointing out their lateness in acknowledging his independent publishing, and then relished in the opportunity to appear on the channel as a guest.

But like dp said ... so what? Well, nothing. I guess my sentiment is rather worthless. Oh well ..

Again, don't see the Meyer connection from that article. He just did some good, basic investigative reporting and no doubt, like any good reporter, had a lot of the information when he asked Meyer that question at the presser. I think if he would have publicly snubbed the invite from ESPN, that would be more of a sign of ax grinding.

Top Bottom