Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

Well, one case involves arrest, charges, guilty plea while the other involves no charges, no arrest, no conviction. You consider that a double standard?

The report will be out within 48 hrs. Maybe Urban and the rest are as guilty as you think. Let’s see what they say.
I know that, sometimes, local police don’t like to do things that will very negatively impact the local high profile univesity’s athletic program and coaching staff, when it comes to personal family incidents. Staff secretaries/assistants careers may not matter as much to them.

The police have discretion in how they apply the law, but they don’t always use the appropriate rationale in using that discretion.

It’s amazing you know so much about their home life. Peeping Tom? Maybe that’s why you and Brett were so excited over all the sex shop items.

It’s amazing you know so much about their home life. Peeping Tom? Maybe that’s why you and Brett were so excited over all the sex shop items.
It’s good to see that you want to take the high road on debating this subject. I suppose if you can’t win the argument with facts, that it’s always good to fall back on insults in hopes that those that have a different opinion go away and stop making an argument to counter yours.

It’s good to see that you want to take the high road on debating this subject. I suppose if you can’t win the argument with facts, that it’s always good to fall back on insults in hopes that those that have a different opinion go away and stop making an argument to counter yours.[/QUO

Under no circumstances should Urban Meyer be fired for any of this BS. He doesn’t sign Smiths paycheck, nor the dismissed secretary. They are all employees of the University. He gets paid for coaching football, not monitoring the secretary’s or his assistants. He is not responsible for what happens off campus unless it involves a player in which case his responsibility is to the players and his parents. Certainly not to the family of any assistant. Do you, as an employee or boss, feel any responsibility for what happens out of the work space? I don’t and I bet you don’t either.

It’s good to see that you want to take the high road on debating this subject. I suppose if you can’t win the argument with facts, that it’s always good to fall back on insults in hopes that those that have a different opinion go away and stop making an argument to counter yours.

Yes, you’re certainly on the high road with a satchel full of facts along with the rest of the posse. Maybe you ought to dismount for awhile.

It’s good to see that you want to take the high road on debating this subject. I suppose if you can’t win the argument with facts, that it’s always good to fall back on insults in hopes that those that have a different opinion go away and stop making an argument to counter yours.[/QUO

Under no circumstances should Urban Meyer be fired for any of this BS. He doesn’t sign Smiths paycheck, nor the dismissed secretary. They are all employees of the University. He gets paid for coaching football, not monitoring the secretary’s or his assistants. He is not responsible for what happens off campus unless it involves a player in which case his responsibility is to the players and his parents. Certainly not to the family of any assistant. Do you, as an employee or boss, feel any responsibility for what happens out of the work space? I don’t and I bet you don’t either.
As a matter of fact, he’s almost entirely responsible for his assistant coaches.

The argument is, I guess, that Urban ought to know the daily activities, conversations, home life, phone contents, emails, sexual predilections of all personnel associated with the football team. He is to know the contents of every package shipped to the complex, as one may possibly contain a dominatrix catsuit.

He is to be the investigator, judge, and jury of every off-work event of every employee whether there is an arrest or not. This, in addition to the hundreds of other tasks like recruiting, coaching, traveling, media obligations, glad handing donors, being a father and husband, and bathing

He and his staff are to be perfect human beings; infallible moralists, pleasant, nonjudgmental, positive-reinforcement practicing, celibate, teetotaling puritans.

I think folks are being a little too harsh on ol’ Urban.

I mean, he only knew and worked with Smith for 10+ years. I think it’s unreasonable to think that someone like Urban would know very much about what was going on with the folks on his staff, unless you think he’s some kind of control freak? No way!

He clearly didn’t see anything in those 10+ years to tell him that Smith may not be an appropriate mentor and role model and teacher responsible for the formative years of young men between the ages of 18-24.

I mean, he only knew and worked with Smith for 10+ years. I think it’s unreasonable to think that someone like Urban would know very much about what was going on with the folks on his staff, unless you think he’s some kind of control freak? No way!

He clearly didn’t see anything in those 10+ years to tell him that Smith may not be an appropriate mentor and role model and teacher responsible for the formative years of young men between the ages of 18-24.

Do you want to fill us in? (Serious question)

I’ve worked closely with a lot of people longer than 10 years and I have no idea what goes on in their private lives (nor do I care to know).

Last edited:

:)

I’ve worked closely with a lot of people longer than 10 years and I have no idea what goes on in their private lives (nor do I care to know).
A D1 college football staff is as close as any working relationship can be. It is an all consuming job and the demands are significant on the coaches and their families. Staff members work, for better or worse, in an extremely close environment.

Coaches arrive early in the morning (frequently 5 am) and don’t leave until night, if not late at night, for much of the year. The coaches and their families usually come from different parts of the country, so they have few, more likely no, family connections in the community. The coaches wives frequently become tight with each other b/c of the unusual lifestyles that their husbands lead.

This isn’t some typical 8 to 5 job where people go their separate directions at the end of the day.

A D1 college football staff is as close as any working relationship can be. It is an all consuming job and the demands are significant on the coaches and their families. Staff members work, for better or worse, in an extremely close environment.

Coaches arrive early in the morning (frequently 5 am) and don’t leave until night, if not late at night, for much of the year. The coaches and their families usually come from different parts of the country, so they have few, more likely no, family connections in the community. The coaches wives frequently become tight with each other b/c of the unusual lifestyles that their husbands lead.

This isn’t some typical 8 to 5 job where people go their separate directions at the end of the day.

You seem to have a lot of assumptions. Why would the coaches discuss home life like stay at home wives when they’re, you know, working? Busy people don’t do that (because they’re busy). A D1 coach is extra busy. They may not hang out with each other on their off days just like many other adults have separate lives (wisely) from work. Keep the worlds separate. Everything is better.

There’s a difference between knowing what goes on in someone’s bedroom and knowing if they are a good guy or not.

Is it your contention that Urban Meyer is the kind of guy, knowing Smith as long as he did and having the kind of relationship that they did, that is unable to ascertain whether or not Smith was a person to be entrusted with the molding and development of young men responsible for representing one of the most prestigious universities in the country?

I worry about the long term impact of some of these rules. Was Urban supposed to act and tell on this other coach about a relationship between two adults?

I'm not sure there is any real data that says having everyone play jr. interventionist or just "report" everything, actually helps the abused victim. Here we are all concerned about if Urban knew and what he said.... that's not solving anyone's abuse situation.

The U too wanted to (and I thought they maybe did) a policy where any U staff aware that a student was being abused, they had to report it. I wonder if a student wants to talk to a trusted professor or teacher .... would then choose not to knowing that that person would involve other people.

I just question if we're going about any of this the right way. Physical / emotional abuse is a complicated and difficult situation when it is between adults. You can't make it stop, you can't make the abused adult leave, and I think we have to be very careful about assigning responsibility (even partial) to those people around them who know about it, simply because they know.

I worry about the long term impact of some of these rules. Was Urban supposed to act and tell on this other coach about a relationship between two adults?

I'm not sure there is any real data that says having everyone play jr. interventionist or just "report" everything, actually helps the abused victim. Here we are all concerned about if Urban knew and what he said.... that's not solving anyone's abuse situation.

The U too wanted to (and I thought they maybe did) a policy where any U staff aware that a student was being abused, they had to report it. I wonder if a student wants to talk to a trusted professor or teacher .... would then choose not to knowing that that person would involve other people.

I just question if we're going about any of this the right way. Physical / emotional abuse is a complicated and difficult situation when it is between adults. You can't make it stop, you can't make the abused adult leave, and I think we have to be very careful about assigning responsibility (even partial) to those people around them who know about it, simply because they know.

I don’t disagree with anything you said here. Very good points.

Again, as I mentioned when this first broke; I’m not saying Meyer should be fired. I don’t have any idea if he should or not or will be or not. I’m saying he’s an absolute f’ng moron for not cutting bait with Smith 4, 6, even 8 years ago or more.

Meyer MORE than knew what kind of guy Smith was, he never should have had him around the program at OSU or Florida. He’s an idiot.

When there’s a point where your baggage exceeds your talents, it’s time to go. Smith crossed that line YEARS ago.

There’s a difference between knowing what goes on in someone’s bedroom and knowing if they are a good guy or not.

Is it your contention that Urban Meyer is the kind of guy, knowing Smith as long as he did and having the kind of relationship that they did, that is unable to ascertain whether or not Smith was a person to be entrusted with the molding and development of young men responsible for representing one of the most prestigious universities in the country?

Yes, that is my contention. The assumptions are just crazy. Perhaps true, yes, but I don’t know how you leap to these types of conclusions in a real world scenario.

But what you, Killer, et al. have yet to prove is why he should be fired for this.

For the umpteenth time, I’m not saying Meyer should be fired. I’m saying he’s a f’ng moron for having Smith on his staff. He knew what kind of guy Smith was.

When you’re a member of Meyer’s staff (or Fleck’s staff or whomever), you’re a representative of not just the school but the coach. What in the world was Meyer doing having a worthless f’k like Smith on his staff for so long? Other than being a known domestic abuser, he was by all accounts a marginal at-best WR coach.

For the umpteenth time, I’m not saying Meyer should be fired. I’m saying he’s a f’ng moron for having Smith on his staff. He knew what kind of guy Smith was.

When you’re a member of Meyer’s staff (or Fleck’s staff or whomever), you’re a representative of not just the school but the coach. What in the world was Meyer doing having a worthless f’k like Smith on his staff for so long? Other than being a known domestic abuser, he was by all accounts a marginal at-best WR coach.

Ok point made. Some have suggested it was a “favor” to Earle Bruce. Impossible to prove, Meyer would never admit that.

At the end of the day though, the only thing that matters is if he gets fired or not. That’s what McMurphy was trying to force to happen with his (continued) tabloid antics.

At the end of the day though, the only thing that matters is if he gets fired or not. That’s what McMurphy was trying to force to happen with his (continued) tabloid antics.

Fair enough. Actually, you could argue that Meyer getting fired or not is NOT the only thing that matters. The university (and Meyer himself really) have already taken a massive black eye for Meyer's stupidity to have this guy on his staff. Here we are, talking about it, the story is front and center in the college football world and for what?

Whether or not he gets fired here is not going to change the fact that the public perception of Meyer and the university has been changed irrevocably. Meyer hitched his wagon to this dead weight, on more than one occasion, and now he's paying the price for his stupidity. He may not pay for it with his job but he's paying for it nonetheless. And he's getting largely what he deserves.

The people you hire and maintain ties with are an extension of you and they represent you.

He fired him.

The rest is just made and/or speculation on what actually happened and what Urban knew. Carry on.

Fair enough. Actually, you could argue that Meyer getting fired or not is NOT the only thing that matters. The university (and Meyer himself really) have already taken a massive black eye for Meyer's stupidity to have this guy on his staff. Here we are, talking about it, the story is front and center in the college football world and for what?

Whether or not he gets fired here is not going to change the fact that the public perception of Meyer and the university has been changed irrevocably. Meyer hitched his wagon to this dead weight, on more than one occasion, and now he's paying the price for his stupidity. He may not pay for it with his job but he's paying for it nonetheless. And he's getting largely what he deserves.

The people you hire and maintain ties with are an extension of you and they represent you.

Absolutely zero of what you said is wrong, in my opinion.

And yet .... what do you think the public perception of Ohio St and Meyer is going to be in Dec if/when they win the Big Ten championship game? Then if/when they win a CFP semi-final game on NYD? Then if/when they win the CFP championship?

I don’t think OSU fans care one iota what other fans think of them. And they shouldn’t.

Announcement should be coming in the next hour or two. Stay tuned, the investigators probably have a whole lot of information that hasn’t been made public. Whatever happens, the boards at 11W are very entertaining. Hopefully this fan base grows to that size some day.

Announcement should be coming in the next hour or two. Stay tuned, the investigators probably have a whole lot of information that hasn’t been made public. Whatever happens, the boards at 11W are very entertaining. Hopefully this fan base grows to that size some day.

What do posters think happens? I think Meyer gets suspended for no more than 2 games. If he is even suspended at all.

Without knowing everything could go many directions. Too many variables. The long delay today may mean they’re negotiating terms of a settlement or working out the press releases of a reinstatement and how to handle the blowback. My gut leans firing because they’re going to protect the brand before any one person but given what we know publicly I’m 50/50 on resignation/firing vs reinstatement. Devil is in the unknown details.

As of about 5:30pm or so - media outlets were reporting there was a split between the Trustees and the President. The President reportedly wanted some kind of a suspension, while the Trustees wanted to reinstate Meyer immediately with no penalty/consequences. That is at least what was being reported by two media outlets that cover OSU.

Top Bottom