Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

That he is not a very good coach. All the good ones get hired away.

So the demarcation line is 5-6 yrs, then it’s bagging groceries. I’m not sure about that but ok.

He fired him...due to a number of factors in 2018. Everyone read that one more time.

Here we go. Two days after osu suspended Urban, Kane Patterson 4 star linebacker from Nashville decommitted. He has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia Tech, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M among others. Cleveland.com and WGFX-FM first reported the news during a radio broadcast featuring Patterson's Christ Presbyterian Academy team.

This kid shows some morals. He has a mother and probably a true man as a father.

AND ... you can be appalled, and then recognize that the magnitude of his misdeeds does not warrant firing him.

A suspension was appropriate, and that was the outcome.

You refuse to stop slamming your fists into the table, but you have yet to even come close to making an argument for why what he did warrants firing. Other than, I guess, because you don't like him and he's not coming to your bday party?
Yeah, it’s just me and a few other posters think Meyer should’ve lost his job. And pretty much anybody else who isn’t an Ohio State fan, Meyer fan, or wife abuser.

Here we go. Two days after osu suspended Urban, Kane Patterson 4 star linebacker from Nashville decommitted. He has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia Tech, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M among others. Cleveland.com and WGFX-FM first reported the news during a radio broadcast featuring Patterson's Christ Presbyterian Academy team.

This kid shows some morals. He has a mother and probably a true man as a father.

Good grief.

Yeah, it’s just me and a few other posters think Meyer should’ve lost his job. And pretty much anybody else who isn’t an Ohio State fan, Meyer fan, or wife abuser.

Pretty much everyone that interviewed 40 witnesses and pored over the details of 60k+ documents, calls, emails, protocols and crafted a document of findings doesn’t agree with you and your HOT TAKES.

If ZS had been found to have committed abuse he’d be a) in jail, and b) fired years ago.

Why is this part so hard to process?

Did he say why he committed?

Pretty much everyone that interviewed 40 witnesses and pored over the details of 60k+ documents, calls, emails, protocols and crafted a document of findings doesn’t agree with you and your HOT TAKES.

If ZS had been found to have committed abuse he’d be a) in jail, and b) fired years ago.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ors-buckeyes-jim-mcelwain-20180825-story.html

...In recent weeks, Meyer has been unmasked and the nation has seen him for what he truly is: an untruthful, unethical, unrepentant college football coach. On Wednesday night when the school held a news conference to announce Meyer’s three-game suspension for harboring a domestic abuser, he came off as a cold, calculating, callous, unfeeling, uncaring, emotionless, pitiless jerk who had no sympathy for domestic violence victims.

On Friday night, Meyer went on Twitter and tried to salvage his wrecked reputation with a phony mea culpa about his arrogant attitude two nights earlier and finally apologized to Courtney Smith — the abused wife of Zach Smith. Instead of issuing this bogus apology that was probably written by someone else, Meyer should have called a news conference, stood up in front of the cameras without a prepared statement and issued an emotional, heartfelt apology culminating with an announcement that he is dedicating his entire $8 million salary this season to domestic violence causes...

...Most of us are repulsed and disgusted Urban Meyer still has a job, but in the multi-billion-dollar world of college football, Ohio State probably made the smart business decision.

Sadly, it is better to retain a great coach who is immoral and untruthful than to take a chance, roll the dice and end up with Jim McElwain.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...itch-albom-urban-meyer-suspension/1097675002/

...I don’t believe the school was ever going to fire the man who brought them a national championship in 2014 and has never finished less than tied for first place in the Big Ten East, not unless they found undeniable complicity in the domestic violence that’s at the core of this whole thing.

And there are some who argue, not without merit, that a coach of a major football program can’t be accountable for every single thing an assistant coach does, especially when that assistant coach is squirming to keep things secret.

I get it. But the truth is, the system Meyer freely works under demands he be responsible for such behavior. His contract explicitly calls for immediate reporting of abuses by anyone within the program. That’s the deal he signed. Had this been an NCAA violation issue — and how this isn’t is still a head-scratcher — they’d have been looking at every hamburger that an assistant coach bought for a recruit. And Meyer might have been held accountable for it. Remember, he replaced a coach who left because his players were exchanging memorabilia for free tattoos.

Instead, despite charges that Zach Smith repeatedly roughed up his wife, including when she was pregnant, Meyer hid behind the fact that Smith was never formally charged (and we all know how little that has to do with whether abuse actually took place) or that it was, in his words, a “he said she said” situation.

And the investigative committee actually concluded that Meyer’s bald-faced lying about what he knew might have been a result of his “periodically taken medicine that can negatively impair his memory, concentration and focus.”

Really? I don’t see him forgetting many plays on the sidelines.

Medicine? Honestly? If you read the 23-page report, you see an investigation that did what it was supposed to do, unearthed a long list of troubling behavior, then refused to walk the plank of its own ship, saying essentially, 'It’s a close call, but Coach Meyer really does have a sensitivity to the issue of domestic violence.' "

Maybe. But the facts only show he has a sensitivity to getting caught in cover-ups, and only apologizes when left with no option. That’s not the pattern of a man who sees the responsibility of power. It’s the pattern of a man who thinks power puts him above it.

PE, could you please share with me all the “hot takes” that are defending the retention of Meyer? I’m sure it’s an endless and exhausting list, but just give me a few.

More hyperbole from clueless and unethical writers. Yes, Zach Smith may be an abuser as charged. However, everyone that’s looked closely at the situation has not come away with that verdict, or at least not definitive. There is a clear agenda at play and perhaps some feel the need to push it despite available evidence.

Still no charges vs Zach Smith as of late August 2018. This, despite alleged photographs, testimony, interviews, texts. Seems odd, doesn’t it?

Did the U of MN law professor that was falsely accused of sexual assault lose his position? Why don’t you look further into that case and get back to me.

PE, could you please share with me all the “hot takes” that are defending the retention of Meyer? I’m sure it’s an endless and exhausting list, but just give me a few.

This is actually very entertaining for me - and informative. It helps to paint a picture for those readers that maybe haven’t been around the unhinged portion of the population and media. The lesson is there is oftentimes a lot more to the story.

An accumulation of demerits, like a lot of other firings. He was arrested in 2018. I’d guess it was time.

Sorry, that doesn’t cut it. If these guys are so innocent of these allegations and nobody was convicted of a crime, why was the coach fired and why would Meyer apologize and accept this punishment?
Obviously, there must be some key details that your keen investigative mind has not yet taken into consideration. You have admitted in the past that your view may be skewed because you have to deal with a lot of unfounded accusations in your profession. Could it be possible that you are only looking at the information that supports your preconceived conclusions (innocence)? And discounting information that doesn’t support your preconceived conclusions? Try to step back and look at all of the information, without bias, and do what you claim that you do (wait for all of the information) before you jump in with both feet.

More hyperbole from clueless and unethical writers. Yes, Zach Smith may be an abuser as charged. However, everyone that’s looked closely at the situation has not come away with that verdict, or at least not definitive. There is a clear agenda at play and perhaps some feel the need to push it despite available evidence.

Still no charges vs Zach Smith as of late August 2018. This, despite alleged photographs, testimony, interviews, texts. Seems odd, doesn’t it?
In other words, you’ve got nothing.

You can’t show us one publication defending the retention of Urban Meyer?

I’m a conservative Republican. I know all about media bias, but I can find numerous articles to defend any particular side of an argument unless there is no argument to defend it.

Even Urban Meyer isn’t defending himself at this point. He’s just hoping people forget about it.

Sorry, that doesn’t cut it. If these guys are so innocent of these allegations and nobody was convicted of a crime, why was the coach fired and why would Meyer apologize and accept this punishment?
Obviously, there must be some key details that your keen investigative mind has not yet taken into consideration. You have admitted in the past that your view may be skewed because you have to deal with a lot of unfounded accusations in your profession. Could it be possible that you are only looking at the information that supports your preconceived conclusions (innocence)? And discounting information that doesn’t support your preconceived conclusions? Try to step back and look at all of the information, without bias, and do what you claim that you do (wait for all of the information) before you jump in with both feet.

You are totally misstating my position. Read carefully: I have stated all along he may be guilty as charged but everyone that’s familiar with the case doesn’t seem to think so or doesn’t feel there is enough evidence. He has admitted being an immature, irresponsible husband and father.

Furthermore, do you think the committee wants to put out a report that states Meyer didn’t cover up abuse and then have a bombshell drop later that makes them look foolish? Those were sober people that were very likely looking for a reason to fire for cause. They interviewed the police, the Smith’s, the coaches, everyone connected closely to this. They didn’t find any convincing evidence.

Everything you said in your post is far more applicable to you than to me.

I’m a conservative Republican. I know all about media bias, but I can find numerous articles to defend any particular side of an argument unless there is no argument to defend it.

Even Urban Meyer isn’t defending himself at this point. He’s just hoping people forget about it.

You’re reading into it what you want. He never said he was apologizing to Courtney for domestic abuse. It was clearly worded in such a way he was not assigning guilt to ZS or himself. He was stating he takes domestic abuse seriously, which we all do. . He’s sorry for everything “she’s gone through”. Generic as can be, without including any admissions that can lead back into a lawsuit. A lawyer clearly wrote that statement.

Did the U of MN law professor that was falsely accused of sexual assault lose his position? Why don’t you look further into that case and get back to me.

Damn, I was hoping you would offer up the "ketchup defense" directly again. Truly proof of the brilliance you possess. Or the obsession of digging your heels in.

Like the blue ribbon committee report??

Speaking of politics, this is very reminiscent of it. People tend to be quick on the trigger to assign guilt when it’s a person they dislike for reason ZYZ, but when their politician or media pal or or friend is accused there tends to be a bit more circumspection whether it’s Trump, Clinton, Franken, Ellison, etc etc etc. Not always, as some people never require evidence.

Damn, I was hoping you would offer up the "ketchup defense" directly again. Truly proof of the brilliance you possess. Or the obsession of digging your heels in.

There ought to be charges any day now based on that evidence, no? Yeah, it looks a bit fake. Is it? I don’t know. Considering the pictures came from a jilted and angry spouse and there was admittedly some violence in the relationship who knows the actual context of the photo.

Where is the police report and clinical assessment of this injury? I’ll wait for you to return.

Please, offer an argument other than “you’re dumb”.

Last edited:

Again, what a a dirt-flinging show this has become. Good job, Brett. Pray for those kids.

More witnesses coming forward with a their perspective. Before you state yeah, it’s his brother...accuser’s mother agrees which should say something. Multiple witnesses. Where are the other side’s corroborating witnesses?

Killer, if you really feel Urban is at fault here.... being a Conservative did you enable Trump by voting for him? The allegations of assault were far more widespread prior to the election, and his daily tweet storms illustrate how poor his character is. The case is far more solid that DT is a very poor example of leadership. Should every endorser, voter, and supporter walk into work tomorrow and resign for character reasons? Otherwise, it’s hypocrisy. This applies to Bill Clinton’s minions as well. I remember that debate like it was yesterday.

Last edited:

Not believing Meyer should be fired doesn’t make you a wife abuser. What a stupid and pathetic thing to say.

He didn’t contribute to or enable wife abuse a single iota. She would’ve been just as abused, if not more, had he never hired him back in Florida. Prove otherwise!

Would be just as logic to call you s wife abuser for calling for Meyer to be fired. Prove otherwise.

You can’t prove anything, of course.
You haven’t tried.

Not believing Meyer should be fired doesn’t make you a wife abuser. What a stupid and pathetic thing to say.

He didn’t contribute to or enable wife abuse a single iota. She would’ve been just as abused, if not more, had he never hired him back in Florida. Prove otherwise!

Would be just as logic to call you s wife abuser for calling for Meyer to be fired. Prove otherwise.

You can’t prove anything, of course.
You haven’t tried.
Yeah, that why I said “OR”. As in you are one of those three things and not necessarily all three.

Take your pick.

Here’s some advice. Read more carefully.

Again, what a a dirt-flinging show this has become. Good job, Brett. Pray for those kids.

More witnesses coming forward with a their perspective. Before you state yeah, it’s his brother...accuser’s mother agrees which should say something. Multiple witnesses. Where are the other side’s corroborating witnesses?

Killer, if you really feel Urban is at fault here.... being a Conservative did you enable Trump by voting for him? The allegations of assault were far more widespread prior to the election, and his daily tweet storms illustrate how poor his character is. The case is far more solid that DT is a very poor example of leadership. Should every endorser, voter, and supporter walk into work tomorrow and resign for character reasons? Otherwise, it’s hypocrisy. This applies to Bill Clinton’s minions as well. I remember that debate like it was yesterday.

One problem with that. I didn’t vote for Trump b/c I had issues with his conduct.

In fact, I didn’t vote for either main candidate b/c of that.

Last edited:

Yeah, that why I said “OR”. As in you are one of those three things and not necessarily all three.

Take your pick.

Here’s some advice. Read more carefully.

Neither PE nor I are “Meyer fans” (some made up term). You just called us wife abusers, for refusing to agree with you. You owe us a much deserved apology, or you can go to h___.

Neither PE nor I are “Meyer fans” (some made up term). You just called us wife abusers, for refusing to agree with you. You owe us a much deserved apology, or you can go to h___.
My god man, can’t you read?

If I say you’re a Meyer fan or a wife abuser, it means you’re one or the other, but not necessarily both.

Take your pick.

Published this morning: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ing-to-become-ohio-states-next-great-wideout/

"I always knew where he would go, but I never said out loud exactly where," Kenny continued. "I knew he'd go somewhere where there's greatness, like Alabama or Ohio State."

Sure enough, father knows best. Garrett has indeed verbally committed to the Buckeyes and is on track to graduate high school this fall in order to enroll early in Columbus so he can be ready to compete for playing time in 2019.

In five months time, Garrett will be done with high school and heading to Columbus.

He's still firmly committed to Ohio State in light of recent events that resulted in the termination of wide receivers coach Zach Smith and head coach Urban Meyer being suspended for the first three games of the 2018 season. "I'm still good as long as coach [offensive coordinator and acting head coach] Ryan Day is there," he said without hesitation. His family reaffirmed as much, too.

That's probably because Ohio State is more than a single coach to Garrett. It's about the relationships he's built with the community over the years. It's home to him.

That's how most recruits will view it, I suspects. And I think they're not wrong either. Of course, any recruit who chooses to change his mind on OSU due the scandal, is not wrong either. That's a choice to make, but I suspect far more of the former than the latter.

And I think that pretty much does it. Media is already moving on. This thing is well in the tail end of its life as far as getting someone fresh to click on the article. It's over. Now granted, McMurphy is still trying to push his trashy, tabloid click-bait on some pod cast. I won't mention what he said or link to it. But you're free to Google it, should pop up pretty easily.

One problem with that. I didn’t vote for Trump b/c I had issues with his conduct.

In fact, I didn’t vote for either main candidate b/c of that.

Fine, and you’ve been campaigning endlessly and digging for dirt against him since the election I presume so Pence can take over? Everyone that endorsed him for Pres, supports him currently, is against impeachment ought to resign. That’s a lot of enablers.

Otherwise zip it. This goes for all the virtue signalers on the left as well. History has shown they aren’t any better (but believe they are).

Fine, and you’ve been campaigning endlessly and digging for dirt against him since the election I presume so Pence can take over? Everyone that endorsed him for Pres, supports him currently, is against impeachment ought to resign. That’s a lot of enablers.

Otherwise zip it. This goes for all the virtue signalers on the left as well. History has shown they aren’t any better (but believe they are).
Wrong again, but what’s new.

If you want to talk politics, go over to the OTB.

But on a practical note, when it comes to political candidates, you’re voting for a political philosophy and not just a profile in character, and you’re given a limited choice of candidates. If you choose not to support anyone, you’re abandoning your voting duties as a citizen. In the presidential election of 2016, imo, we had two poor choices and both had character issues. Many candidates frequently do to varying levels, but our political process gives great scrutiny to candidates and we have adversaries looking for flaws in their opposition.

College coaches and athletic programs have operated in a fairly insulated system, free from the scrutiny of the public. It’s only when something happens like occurred here or at Penn St or at Michigan St that we begin to understand the lack of character. So the political comparison is a poor analogy situationally.

When it comes to a situation like Ohio State was faced with, it was to choose to have high morals, ethics and integrity, or not. It chose ‘not’. It chose winning football games over morals, ethics, and integrity.

By making that choice, it contributes to a decline in those values in college football coaching. Had it chosen otherwise, it would have been a significant statement to the coaching profession that poor character will not be tolerated and rewarded.

This is not virtue signaling.

Wrong again, but what’s new.

If you want to talk politics, go over to the OTB.

But on a practical note, when it comes to political candidates, you’re voting for a political philosophy and not just a profile in character, and you’re given a limited choice of candidates. If you choose not to support anyone, you’re abandoning your voting duties as a citizen. In the presidential election of 2016, imo, we had two poor choices and both had character issues. Many candidates frequently do to varying levels, but our political process gives great scrutiny to candidates and we have adversaries looking for flaws in their opposition.

College coaches and athletic programs have operated in a fairly insulated system, free from the scrutiny of the public. It’s only when something happens like occurred here or at Penn St or at Michigan St that we begin to understand the lack of character. So the political comparison is a poor analogy situationally.

When it comes to a situation like Ohio State was faced with, it was to choose to have high morals, ethics and integrity, or not. It chose ‘not’. It chose winning football games over morals, ethics, and integrity.

By making that choice, it contributes to a decline in those values in college football coaching. Had it chosen otherwise, it would have been a significant statement to the coaching profession that poor character will not be tolerated and rewarded.

This is not virtue signaling.

Nobody has to support DJT to support conservatism. That is absurd. He could be removed from office very easily if there was a will for it amongst the center/right. There isn’t.

Hypocrisy.

The rest of your statement was again full of unproven allegations stated as fact. Who is the morally bankrupt one?

Nobody has to support DJT to support conservatism. That is absurd. He could be removed from office very easily if there was a will for it amongst the center/right. There isn’t.

Hypocrisy.

The rest of your statement was again full of unproven allegations stated as fact. Who is the morally bankrupt one?
Oh, there’s one other HUGE difference between selecting Presidents and CFB head coaches. Around 130 million people vote on who they want.

The number of people evaluating Urban Meyer’s character and deciding his fate is a much smaller group. The Ohio State University President and the Board of Trustees have a much bigger role than an individual presidential voter in whether to uphold high character values.

And, as I said before, if Ohio State’s only choice was between Urban Meyer and someone of equally questionable character, I wouldn’t blame them for choosing Meyer. But it’s not.

Oh, there’s one other HUGE difference between selecting Presidents and CFB head coaches. Around 130 million people vote on who they want.

The number of people evaluating Urban Meyer’s character and deciding his fate is a much smaller group. The Ohio State University President and the Board of Trustees have a much bigger role than an individual presidential voter in whether to uphold high character values.

And, as I said before, if Ohio State’s only choice was between Urban Meyer and someone of equally questionable character, I wouldn’t blame them for choosing Meyer. But it’s not.

There is absolutely nothing stopping those voters from demanding of their senators new leadership due to poor character, alleged unseemly behavior, and possible crimes by the holder of the highest office.

But, in politics it’s all about WINNING, just like at Ohio State (right?). Dumping DJT would require people to perhaps admit they made an error, and even worse let the leftists put a feather in their cap even though Pence would move up and nothing would materially change as far as the power balance. I get it. Country comes second. To be clear, this applies to both sides. It’s disgusting.

Last edited:

Top Bottom