Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

As of about 5:30pm or so - media outlets were reporting there was a split between the Trustees and the President. The President reportedly wanted some kind of a suspension, while the Trustees wanted to reinstate Meyer immediately with no penalty/consequences. That is at least what was being reported by two media outlets that cover OSU.

Heard that on KFAN as well.
I'm going with, they will make Meyer do some community service and or sensitivity training and that is it.

Some rumors on twitter that Urban has some demands regarding a possible suspension in regards to length and the he is prepared to resign if his demands aren't met...may be why there's a split and its taking a long time to decide.

Nothing is going to happen to Meyer other than time served period.

As of about 5:30pm or so - media outlets were reporting there was a split between the Trustees and the President. The President reportedly wanted some kind of a suspension, while the Trustees wanted to reinstate Meyer immediately with no penalty/consequences. That is at least what was being reported by two media outlets that cover OSU.

If true that would make sense. Drake came from UC Irvine. Nobody becomes the president of a UC school without kissing the ring of special interest groups and being ultra-tuned into the avoidance of appearance of a public relations faux pas. He’s probably worried his BFFs in academia would defriend him on Facebook if he lets the football coach off scot free.

Three game suspension

9:06 p.m.

Ohio State has suspended head football coach Urban Meyer for three games for failing to take sufficient management action relating to former assistant coach Zach Smith's misconduct.

Ohio State announced the decision Wednesday night after an investigation into his handling of accusations of domestic violence made against Zach Smith, a longtime assistant coach.

Smith was accused by his ex-wife, Courtney Smith of physical abuse. Zach Smith was fired last month after she asked a judge for a protective order.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith was also suspended from Aug. 31-Spet. 16.

Adam Rittenberg

Verified account

@ESPNRittenberg:

Urban Meyer: “I want to apologize to Buckeye Nation. I followed my heart and not my head.” Says he gave Zach Smith benefit of the doubt, didn’t know all his activities and says loyalty to Earle Bruce factored into this.

Meyer to remain coach.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/11aitZSSRhHYuQ" width="480" height="205" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/11aitZSSRhHYuQ">via GIPHY</a></p>

Sounds like it boils down to two things (maybe three)

1. Compliance dept was not notified (AD Gene Smith said that was his responsibility).
2. Half-truths at media day (Investigator did say he was responding to an erroneous media report).
3. Urban should have looked close into Zach Smith’s personal life.

My read watching this right now is Urban is not really into the decision...but agree to go along. Gene Smith seems relieved to still have a job. President Drake seems as spineless as one would expect.

The media is going hard after Urban. Urban had no words of sympathy for Courtney, basically said (in not so many words) that angle is probably a toxic relationship/crock as had been reported. The hotheads are going to go nuts over this.

The written report should be fascinating.

I found the press conference to be lacking on details of what actually happened.

I said earlier in this thread, that Meyer should’ve told Gene Smith (AD) about the 2009 incident when they found out about the 2015 incident.

Meyer passed on punishing Zach Smith in 2009, 2015, and after he found out that Zach Smith had violated a trespassing order and had a court date. He accepted Smith’s explanation, but said Smith needed to update him on any further details. At that meeting, Zach Smith concealed information about the restraining order and Meyer found out about it days later, then decided that he might have to fire Smith and did so later that day.

No one asked the question and I don’t know why b/c I think it goes to Urban Meyer’s responsibility, but it doesn’t sound like Gene Smith (AD) was informed about the 2009 incident when the 2015 incident occurred. That seems like a severe breach of duty on Meyer’s part.

It appears Gene Smith was operating on the notion that 2015 was the lone incident until Zach Smith got the trespassing violation.

It’s over. The independent committee never mentioned it. The written report will probably address it.

It’s over. The independent committee never mentioned it. The written report will probably address it.
Let’s hope. We do know he didn’t know when Zach Smith was hired.

Not that it matters now.

I don’t think public opinion will be as forgiving as Ohio State was.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What does Urban have to apologize to the victim for?

He didn't hurt her, he didn't make the dude do anything.

He could fire the dude and that won't make the dude who hurt her stop.

Urban's job is not to police other adult's relationships.

What does Urban have to apologize to the victim for?

He didn't hurt her, he didn't make the dude do anything.

He could fire the dude and that won't make the dude who hurt her stop.

Urban's job is not to police other adult's relationships.

Pitchfork nation. Its how the world is now. People like being upset and outraged. Insert old man yells at cloud meme here

Pitchfork nation. Its how the world is now. People like being upset and outraged. Insert old man yells at cloud meme here

Well in this case I'll happily yell at the cloud with you.

McE5bsT.gif

Let’s hope. We do know he didn’t know when Zach Smith was hired.

Not that it matters now.

I don’t think public opinion will be as forgiving as Ohio State was.

I thought the punishment was a bit harsh if that’s all it was. Gene Smith was the one that had the responsibility to send it up the chain. It was a half measure that was probably the worst of all the choices available. He complied with protocol, but “should have known more” and was crusty with the media jackals.

Better to have reinstated with time served, or fired for cause. The deranged haters (ie you) will never be satisfied.

Personally I’m pretty happy McMurphy, Mandel, and the others get to suck their thumbs and cry over this. Should be great theatre.

Killer, time to give it a rest. You fought he good fight, and came out on the losing end.

There will be no public opinion that matters. The Buckeyes will win football games, and that will be that.

Will the loss in game 3 knock OhiobSt out of the playoff picture? I doubt it, but when you combine it with another loss it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Among the findings - the apparently official version is that Meyer's wife did NOT tell her husband that a wife of an assistant coach was making allegations of domestic abuse - allegations that Meyer's wife seemed sympathetic to, according to her text messages.

I just find that unbelievable. Meyer says his wife is his moral compass - but she kept this fairly important information secret from her husband - even though it could potentially affect his $7-million a year job? I just don't freaking buy it.

Either way, it's going to make for some verrrry interesting conversations in the Meyer household.

Among the findings - the apparently official version is that Meyer's wife did NOT tell her husband that a wife of an assistant coach was making allegations of domestic abuse - allegations that Meyer's wife seemed sympathetic to, according to her text messages.

I just find that unbelievable. Meyer says his wife is his moral compass - but she kept this fairly important information secret from her husband - even though it could potentially affect his $7-million a year job? I just don't freaking buy it.

Either way, it's going to make for some verrrry interesting conversations in the Meyer household.

Didn't one of the leaked text messages indicate that his wife said she would have to tell him ... "now".

Almost indicating she already wasn't telling him?.... but also indicating she would.

I've got to think that Shelly will be peppered with questions as to why she didn't tell Urban about the text messages (as he claims). Will she perpetuate the lie (if in fact it is)......she almost has to, or another sh*t storm will surface.

Last edited:

The police report was modified, 3 years later. The "arrest" box magically changed!!!!!

Winning football games is the most important factor. Nothing else matters.

What happens if this situation was at MN?

#excusesareforlosers

#levelplayingfield

The police report was modified, 3 years later. The "arrest" box magically changed!!!!!

Winning football games is the most important factor. Nothing else matters.

What happens if this situation was at MN?

#excusesareforlosers

#levelplayingfield

tOSU...supporting domestic abuse, one battered woman at a time

Top Bottom