Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Minnesota

"I know P.J. Fleck rubs some people the wrong way with that rah-rah stuff, but it’s genuine. He’s a positive energy, positive thoughts guy. Not that a lot of us aren’t -- he just wears it on his sleeve in a very public way. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Some young kids really like a coach like that. Others crave discipline and direction. It’s a balancing act we all have to figure out."

"They’ve struggled for so long at the quarterback spot, and that’s one foot in the grave in this league. They’ve got to get that figured out. There’s no one on that roster from last year that scares you."

"I like (RB) Rodney Smith. He has been a quality runner in our league for three years. I’m not so sure he took a step back last year as much as that offensive line wasn’t helping much. They just weren’t that good up front, and not just blocking between the tackles. Their pass protection was lousy, too."

"Whoever’s running that show has a couple of good young guys to throw to. In the past, they couldn’t win on the outside, couldn’t get off jams. It was easy to get those guys out of their game. But Tyler Johnson started to play really well last season, and he’s going to have to be accounted for this season. Tough kid, makes the tough catches and can get behind you."

"I’ll tell you who’s a really good player on that team: (DB) Antonie Winfield Jr. If he played at a bigger program, he’d be all anyone was talking about in this league."

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...s-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2018

Go Gophers!!

At first I was defensive for our Gophers - what do you mean there's no one from last year that scares you? But then I just got bummed (I mean, even Carpenter took a step back and missed some field goals). I enjoyed reading all of the comments for each of the teams. Some of them are definitely "OUCH" worthy.

Someone ought to ask Bryce Benhart or his family if Fleck's "rah-rah" stuff turned them off the Gophers. It is not for everyone.

Someone ought to ask Bryce Benhart or his family if Fleck's "rah-rah" stuff turned them off the Gophers. It is not for everyone.
Last I heard he hadn't committed yet

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

According to that article Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin have questions at QB. They also say that Maryland could be an injury away from having QB troubles again. Last year MD was really hurt by the injury bug at QB

"I don’t know how you can pin that train wreck of a season on that coaching staff. They had to use five quarterbacks, and it all fell apart. If you’re looking for what that team could be with DJ Durkin, you look at the 3–1 start before the injuries at quarterback really kicked in."..

According to that article Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin have questions at QB. They also say that Maryland could be an injury away from having QB troubles again. Last year MD was really hurt by the injury bug at QB

Almost everyone -- most NFL teams and all college teams except for maybe Alabama -- is an injury away from having QB troubles again.

Some kids like rah rah and others like discipline and direction? Since when are they mutually exclusive.

Some kids like rah rah and others like discipline and direction? Since when are they mutually exclusive.

This was my take as well. You can be like PJ Fleck but still run a disciplined program. These anonymous comments are garbage.

As I have said many times before, a greatly improved offensive line elevates every position on the offense, to a high degree.

At first I was defensive for our Gophers - what do you mean there's no one from last year that scares you? But then I just got bummed (I mean, even Carpenter took a step back and missed some field goals). I enjoyed reading all of the comments for each of the teams. Some of them are definitely "OUCH" worthy.

I think Smith, Johnson, and Winfield are scare-worthy. Many of the comments, including that one, definitely rang bells. I wish we knew who spoke them, but then they probably wouldn't have been spoken if they knew it was to be made public!

The one that was really rough was:

Rutgers has had nine offensive coordinators in the last nine years. You’re just not giving your kids a chance when you do things like that. You make a bad hire, then compound it by making another bad hire."

I have to imagine that was a major shot at Jerry Kill. I love Jerry Kill, but that was one of the worst coordinator hires I've ever seen in my life. I never understood it and I never will. It really made me question Chris Ash's ability to be a head coach. Sounds like he might have hired a good guy this time, but we'll see. He could be Brewstering himself out of a job...

Jerry had/has a way of being endearing. I'm sure he talked a good game, and sold himself well. In fact, I bet he was doing a decent job ... his body just gave out on him, again.

Jerry had/has a way of being endearing. I'm sure he talked a good game, and sold himself well. In fact, I bet he was doing a decent job ... his body just gave out on him, again.

Jerry was trying to win the BT west with MAC talent....and dayum he almost did it.

You have to be interested at some point to get turned off. Not sure how interested Benhart has ever been, seems like it was always assumed Benhart was going elsewhere and maybe if we were lucky we could land Carrol.

Last I heard he hadn't committed yet

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Whenever he does commit, I sure hope he doesn't go on nightly evening news on the local affiliate to mention it.

You have to be interested at some point to get turned off. Not sure how interested Benhart has ever been, seems like it was always assumed Benhart was going elsewhere and maybe if we were lucky we could land Carrol.

I don't know how much weight you put on someone's opinion who never wanted to come here.

That comment was grouped with the comments about the QB situation so I assume it applied to the QB position rather than the whole team. If that's the case, I don't see how anyone could disagree with it. Our QBs last year were bad and our QBs this year are true and RS freshmen who have never played a collegiate game.

Whenever he does commit, I sure hope he doesn't go on nightly evening news on the local affiliate to mention it.

Notre Dame has every home game on NBC. The only college team in the country with a TV deal like that. Also goes without saying the history that team has as being a national team.

Shaver loves high school sports, and loves to promote them. Not often a high level, local athlete is a top recruit signing with Notre Dame football. So given that, and given NBC has every ND home game .... was it really that big of a slap in the face for you?

Really had nothing to do with the Gophers ...

Top Bottom