Iowa State Commit Jirehl Brock Says P.J. Fleck Would Text Him Every 30 Minutes

Big tent here. Sometimes criticism stings more because there’s a kernel of truth there. Insults with no basis are rightly laughed off.

PJ does seem to be struggling a bit to bring in 4 stars this cycle. There may be a method to his madness; some of the guys are underrecruited because they were hurt, missed games or seasons, but have been blowing up at camps or were studs prior to injury. If they make it back to form or develop as seniors (eg Wiley, Potts) then we may have some 4 star level steals. I’m pretty optimistic we have some high talent difference makers in the fold. Now the coaches have to do their thing.

Minnesota is in a Catch-22. Until they can break through like Wisconsin did in 1993 after three years of rebuilding (1990-94 -1-10, 5-6, 5-6, 10-1-1 Rose Bowl), it will be tough getting the 4 Star recruits they want. Even then, Wisconsin recruited to a system and not necessarily getting many 4 Stars.

They (Kill/Fleck) have to go after under the radar guys: previously injured or played sparingly (Stephens-Brown); those noticed late (Bateman). Through hard work and savvy, PJ Fleck created his own luck on the IMG trio.

I sense frustrations with PJ Fleck, but he is doing great. He had a solid class last year, and I would venture to say he is well on his way to another high 30s/low 40s 2019 class.

Recruiting is psychological warfare. You sensed that ISU pulled a good ploy to get Jirehl Brock based on what I hear him say. I could be wrong. They could also work on the parents. You want kids that will remain wholly committed. Remember Dredrick Snelson (2016 flipped to Maryland, then UCF) and Trey Creamer (2017 flipped to Iowa)?

I don't know what is true and what isn't, but my guess would be that Fleck has the ability to either text more frequently or less frequently depending on how much he thinks the recruit wants to be texted.

Maybe he's texting every 30 minutes the day he's traveling here to verify he caught his flight, found right car to pick up, etc.

It's just simple math that PJ can't text all recruits every 30 minutes.

Some people need a hard sell, and others soft, it's part of reading someone.
My guess is it's based on priority

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

All I know is we have a head coach that seems to be working 24/7 and thinking outside the box to get whatever edge he can get to build a good foundation going forward.
When you go to work today does your manager or boss try to instill company culture or his vision of how they company should be doing business? What PJ is doing on the football field is no different than what a lot of companies are doing. If all departments are doing things differently there is no way a company can function at its highest capacity. Using terms like RTB is common place at a ton of Fortune 500 companies and is just being applied to football and other sports. Get use to it cause it isn't going away.

Ok, so people are getting upset about a rumor of locking players in rooms that didn’t actually happen. It could just be a negative recruiting ploy.
Recruiting is different for every player. It is obvious that PJ want Brock and most likely was holding a place for him. It seems reasonable to suspect that PJ was showing him some extra attention in those last days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF - and I say IF - Fleck is using some "high-pressure" sales tactics, then different people are going to react differently to that. If I personally get the high-pressure pitch, I shut down. That is a turn-off to me. Other people may enjoy the attention. Bottom line - there is no "one size fits all" approach to recruiting. In the end, you are dealing with people - human beings - with individual personalities. There may be some similarities among higher-profile athletes - competitiveness, etc. But I believe you have to tailor the sales pitch to the client.

Fleck has the reputation as a good recruiter, so I assume he has the ability to 'read' people and tailor his pitch accordingly.

But, recruiting is just one piece of the puzzle. once you get the players on campus, you have to coach them. In the end, the results will play out on the field.

Turned Benhart off too.

I guess if I had to pick between the three options of high pressure (MN), used as a pawn (ND), or where I feel comfortable (ISU), I would have done what this kid did. Maybe he could have taken the high road and moved on with his decision rather than burning the other programs. He didn't want to be a Gopher, move on and good luck.

Here's the deal with "high pressure" salespeople.

How often, when you really, really want to buy something do you actually get annoyed with "high pressure".
The main time you get annoyed with "high pressure" is when you don't know if you want something or are just looking around.

Maybe being high pressure separates those who really want to be here from those who don't.

Rather than cater to 40 guys who might want their belly rubbed, why not be upfront and say "Hey, it's time to make a decision. If this isn't good enough for you now, then let's agree to go other directions."
At the point they are showing up for official visits, there is probably some relationship there.

If you aren't going to buy a car after the test drive, it's pretty unlikely you'll go back to buy that same car two weeks later.

This is what I love about Gopherhole, if it’s an injury thread we are all doctors, recruit thread and we morph into sales people.

This is what I love about Gopherhole, if it’s an injury thread we are all doctors, recruit thread and we morph into sales people.
Agree... and I'll just add that most turn into BAD doctors and BAD salespeople. Throwing out opinions and whatnot without all, or possibly any actual facts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How often, when you really, really want to buy something do you actually get annoyed with "high pressure".
The main time you get annoyed with "high pressure" is when you don't know if you want something or are just looking around.

Maybe being high pressure separates those who really want to be here from those who don't.

Rather than cater to 40 guys who might want their belly rubbed, why not be upfront and say "Hey, it's time to make a decision. If this isn't good enough for you now, then let's agree to go other directions."
At the point they are showing up for official visits, there is probably some relationship there.

If you aren't going to buy a car after the test drive, it's pretty unlikely you'll go back to buy that same car two weeks later.

And in the case above, he was getting the high pressure "what are you waiting for....commit" pitch about the time snow was starting to melt his sophomore year. The interest was just beginning to trickle in from schools and thoughts about opportunities for a free education hadn't even fully sunk in.

Always.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Always.

Weird.
Maybe you don't handle pressure well and everyone seems high pressure.
Are you an introvert by chance?

Sorry did not read every post here ... but it quickly strikes me that Fleck could well use different tactics with different recruits, based on what he thinks they want. Even if it was the case with this one recruit, doesn’t mean he does this for every.

Not an introvert and know many highly successful people in sales that aren't high pressure. I am just a person that knows what he wants and knows how to ask questions. I don't appreciate people trying to manipulate me or speed up my decision making process.

That said, PJ can recruit however he wants. Whatever works. Sales/recruiting is all a game and different approaches work better for different people. The trick is knowing when to use the right strategy.

Weird.
Maybe you don't handle pressure well and everyone seems high pressure.
Are you an introvert by chance?

I think we're seeing why a few teams stepped away from this kid and he ended up at Iowa State.

I think we're seeing why a few teams stepped away from this kid and he ended up at Iowa State.

Supposedly Iowa State was a highly rated academic institution. Enrolling this athlete proves otherwise.

I wish I could delete this thread but there is no option. I learned from my mistake.

Disgusting behavior. Checking in daily is a bit much, but hourly is psychotic. Intimidating a kid to choose a school is also beyond excessive. I'm officially anti-Fleck. He represents the school poorly.

SOOOOOO, you're taking the report of one high school kid to gospel? Mmmkay bro....
Have you heard from any other recruit of this happening? I haven't, but keep up
your knee jerked judgments. :clap:

Top Bottom