PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 7-29-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO radio with Sid, Dave and Max.

(PJ was outside with his kids - 1st part of the interview, the hosts couldn't hear his answers, so they had to start interview over.....)

Sid: did you learn anything in Chicago?
PJ: not necessarily. we're there to represent the U of MN FB program - talk about the upcoming season. we're going to be very young and inexperienced. Our 9 scholarship seniors on offense & defense will have to lead. the young team will have to mature quickly. doesn't mean we can't win. there's still a lot of opportunity for this young team.

Sid: how many 2019 recruits do you have now?
PJ: right around 21 now. that's great going into the end of July. tremendous job by out staff. the coaches do a great job. hope to have back to back some of the greatest classes in MN history. the '18 & '19 class - by the time they're juniors and seniors, they will be very experienced, and will have been through a lot together.

Sid: can you contact them (recruits) now?
PJ: we're coming off a dead period. going to be another dead period in August. Come August, we'll keep in touch. just had a big weekend. 70% of our commits were here, along with some other guys we're looking at for 2020, and a few guys we're still looking at for 2019. it was a great weekend to finish up out summer recruiting.

Sid: Great to see athletes get awards (i.e. - be on pre-season award lists)
PJ: as we continue to go through the years, we want to make sure those lists grow. we want to have a lot of our players on those lists. but, those are still team awards. you need to play well as a team in order to have individual accolades. At Chicago, our players (Barber, Smith, Coughlin) did a tremendous job representing our team. Jared Weyler is really excited about his opportunity. He's never been really healthy the last 3 years. he looks great, strong.

Sid: will everyone be healthy for practice?
PJ: one of 1st reporting days is July 31. won't do much that day, just get everyone in a room. the next day will be a rookie practice. that's something new for this year. just the newcomers. first practice for our Upperclassmen will be on Aug 2nd. we've got so many young guys, newcomers. got to get them out there and get their feet wet. make sure they know how we practice.

Mona: you talked about chance of Brooks available last 4 games? are the coaches talking about new RS rules?
PJ: we talk about it all the time. but it's another thing acting on it. there are so many factors we can't control. it's one of the best new rules, but it's making coaches really think about who you're going to use the RS rule with. could be forced to play someone due to injuries. you say, we're going to play these guys for 4 games, but come week 2, there's an injury, and you could be forced into playing someone every game for the rest of the year. just like building a house - you start with a blueprint, and you make changes as you go.

Max: coaches will be going nuts
PJ: it's similar to the new rule on official visits. everyone has their own strategy. try it this year, and then next year, you say we'll do this or we won't do this. it's very intense, complicated. what types of strategy are you going to use? it's a whole new start. next year, you'll be able to evaluate how it worked. it's a process for everyone feeling out. see how the plan takes shape

Sid: what position will Cashman and Winfield play?
PJ: Cashman will be our starting Will (LB). will lean on him for leadership. he's biting at the bit to get out there. with Winfield, we can do a lot of things. Our Secondary is going to be extremely young. a lot of true FR are going to have to play. we'll do game-planning depending on how good the FR are and what they can do - and how they play depends on how we move Winfield around. depending on what the rest of the Secondary can handle, that determines how we can move him around. he's going to have a huge role for us. the better the FR play, the more we can move him (Winfield) around.

Sid: great ticket plans right now. great schedule. Murray's certificate.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Thanks for doing this Son. Now I'm confused. PJ at home outside with his kids? I was thinking he wasn't going to do a segment today due to the fact that I thought he had a number of recruits in town. Perhaps all unofficials and in town for Friday/Saturday only.

Thanks for doing this Son. Now I'm confused. PJ at home outside with his kids? I was thinking he wasn't going to do a segment today due to the fact that I thought he had a number of recruits in town. Perhaps all unofficials and in town for Friday/Saturday only.

I got the impression from twitter that the recruits visits ended last night / yesterday afternoon. Not sure.

What's the new rule regarding official visits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"hope to have back to back some of the greatest classes in MN history."
I wonder if PJ knows the history of UMN when he makes those statements. Perhaps he's just referring to the 21st century.

Thanks SON. Glad to hear Cashman as a starter...he will take full advantage and surprise some who said he is not an every down player, too small, too slow, etc...wish he would have been on the field more last year.

PJ: not necessarily. we're there to represent the U of MN FB program - talk about the upcoming season. we're going to be very young and inexperienced. Our 9 scholarship seniors on offense & defense will have to lead. the young team will have to mature quickly. doesn't mean we can't win. there's still a lot of opportunity for this young team.

How can you not learn anything? You spend a day or two with your own leaders in conversation, I can't believe you wouldn't hear something that gave you insight on how to coach your team...what their concerns are, what they are over confident about, who is a problem teammate...etc etc
How could you not learn some insight about an opponent's weakness based on the concerns they express or learn the emphasis of what they are concentrating on to discern what they might taking for granted. Things you can research on film when the time comes based on clues you discovered in Chicago.
Not learning anything means not taking advantage of the opportunity to me.

"We're going to be very young and inexperienced. ... Doesn't mean we can't win." I promise, this I know....you give kids an excuse why they can't win and they will absolutely use it. Maybe not every day but when you get hit in the mouth and there is some adversity. It's much easier to just settle with we are too young and inexperienced to expect to win...it's okay...we aren't really supposed to win this year...wait until 2020. Coach said so...it's okay.

These kinds of comments are all just to buy more time for PJ to add another year until there are any expectations. Without any, he has excuses to placate everybody including his players...until they realize we won 5 games again....despite being favored in 7 games and one/two points dogs in three others. Heaven forbid we come out and say we expect to win 10 games this year or even go to a bowl game with 6 wins. Last year a "bowl wasn't important".
Is it this year?
Maybe, but we are young and inexperienced. Please don't criticize me if we happen to lose more than we win.

That Schiano leather still needs some conditioning, perhaps.

How can you not learn anything? You spend a day or two with your own leaders in conversation, I can't believe you wouldn't hear something that gave you insight on how to coach your team...what their concerns are, what they are over confident about, who is a problem teammate...etc etc
How could you not learn some insight about an opponent's weakness based on the concerns they express or learn the emphasis of what they are concentrating on to discern what they might taking for granted. Things you can research on film when the time comes based on clues you discovered in Chicago.

This is sarcasm, right? PLEASE tell me you're actually not this dense. Please.

Yeah, cause Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are definitely disclosing weaknesses they see in other teams or talking about internal team strife/concerns on freaking radio interviews. Haha.

Did you just start listening to football coaches give interviews?! Oh no, that's right you're just trying to push a tired a** agenda by nitpicking a vanilla radio appearance.

"Who a problem teammate is". This is fricking gold. This guy expects PJ Fleck to tell US on the radio who his captain said is a crappy teammate.

I'm just still in disbelief at this whole bit. Christ.

This is sarcasm, right? PLEASE tell me you're actually not this dense. Please.

Yeah, cause Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are definitely disclosing weaknesses they see in other teams or talking about internal team strife/concerns on freaking radio interviews. Haha.

Did you just start listening to football coaches give interviews?! Oh no, that's right you're just trying to push a tired a** agenda by nitpicking a vanilla radio appearance.

This is short give it a look... https://www.isucceedbook.com/listen-to-what-people-dont-say-not-what-they-do/ tip of the iceberg...

"Who a problem teammate is". This is fricking gold. This guy expects PJ Fleck to tell US on the radio who his captain said is a crappy teammate.

I'm just still in disbelief at this whole bit. Christ.

I don't believe that's what I said...my issue is with the answer that he didn't learn anything. I'm not asking him to tell me what he learned...I just prefer that he did learn something. Obviously, he is not going to share the comment you selected but 100% if you are listening there was hint about a teammate who isn't all in on some aspect of the culture. That's an opportunity for a one on one conversation with that person to change their outlook before it becomes a cancer. That's all...proactive...nekton mentality always learning.

PJ:...

"We're going to be very young and inexperienced. ... Doesn't mean we can't win." ...

These kinds of comments are all just to buy more time for PJ to add another year until there are any expectations. Without any, he has excuses to placate everybody including his players...until they realize we won 5 games again....despite being favored in 7 games and one/two points dogs in three others. Heaven forbid we come out and say we expect to win 10 games this year or even go to a bowl game with 6 wins. Last year a "bowl wasn't important".
Is it this year?
Maybe, but we are young and inexperienced. Please don't criticize me if we happen to lose more than we win.

Common man. The B1G Chicago is a PR event. It is all coach speak.

The only thing that matters is a fresh new promise of hope that the Gophers are finally going to move up from 5th place in B1G West. That is their average finish over the last few years.

Yes really. The reality is no matter how much you fantasize, is that the Gophers weren't all that good all these years. This is the best chance to make history under PJ Fleck. We have to be patient.

I don't believe that's what I said...my issue is with the answer that he didn't learn anything. I'm not asking him to tell me what he learned...I just prefer that he did learn something. Obviously, he is not going to share the comment you selected but 100% if you are listening there was hint about a teammate who isn't all in on some aspect of the culture. That's an opportunity for a one on one conversation with that person to change their outlook before it becomes a cancer. That's all...proactive...nekton mentality always learning.

If Fleck is learning things about his team and other teams at B1G media days, he's not going to last long here.

Common man. The B1G Chicago is a PR event. It is all coach speak.

The only thing that matters is a fresh new promise of hope that the Gophers are finally going to move up from 5th place in B1G West. That is their average finish over the last few years.

Yes really. The reality is no matter how much you fantasize, is that the Gophers weren't all that good all these years. This is the best chance to make history under PJ Fleck. We have to be patient.

Or the last four years before the firing the Gophers were one win short of averaging 8 wins per year over those four years...31 wins versus 32. I'm just not all that comfortable going backwards while I wait for the promised 2020 mega season when 8 wins was the average.

Or the last four years before the firing the Gophers were one win short of averaging 8 wins per year over those four years...31 wins versus 32. I'm just not all that comfortable going backwards while I wait for the promised 2020 mega season when 8 wins was the average.

One win more is not going to move the needle very much because they are still entrenched around an average finish of 5th Place. They have to outperform the other four teams above them in each of the years involved.

GOPHERS WINS-LOSES 2011-2017.jpg

B1G WEST AVERAGE OVERALL & CONFERENCE STANDING 2011-2017 C.jpg

Your agenda is transparent and totally wack.

Going backwards is no fun.... but I don't think any given coach can perpetually move a team forward.

On the positive side, we have now clarified that the Gophers have "9 seniors on offense and defense." So there is that.

I would think that, as a relatively young coach just going into his 2nd year in the B1G, there are things Fleck could learn from the other, more experienced coaches in the league. I'm not talking about schemes or inside stuff - more on the level of talking about how coaches deal with different challenges. I don't know if they have any down time or quiet time to talk to each other, but as a young coach, I think it would be interesting to get a different perspective from a D'Antonio or an Urban Meyer - talking about how you handle disciplinary matters, or deciding when to have a hard practice versus when you back off. stuff like that.

Are you out of your fricking mind? You can read more skepticism into anything PJ says or does. Do yourself a favor, just let it go. He is the coach, stop trying to read hidden meaning or messages into everything he does. Imagine if people second guessed and criticized every move your made. PJ doesn’t need to read any corny motivational book, he is a living breathing motivator.

Are you out of your fricking mind? You can read more skepticism into anything PJ says or does. Do yourself a favor, just let it go. He is the coach, stop trying to read hidden meaning or messages into everything he does. Imagine if people second guessed and criticized every move your made. PJ doesn’t need to read any corny motivational book, he is a living breathing motivator.

I cracked the code guys!

Top Bottom