Start of Camp - Starting QB Poll

Who will be starting QB for game 1

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
As it stands, who do you believe will start the first game of the season.

1 year into the playbook is why Morgan start game 1.

The only scenario I can envision where Morgan isn’t the starter is a) injury or b) Fleck likes the intangibles of Annexstad more as the public face of the team. Fleck’s a different cat so I wouldn’t be totally surprised either way but Morgan has the experience angle, both in college and high school.

If I had to guess, I would say Morgan starts week #1, and holds the job as long as he stays healthy and/or plays reasonably well. That allows Annexstad to play in 4 games as a backup and preserve a year of eligibility.

But - if Morgan gets hurt - or he just goes out there and stinks up the joint - then Annexstad will get a crack at being the starter.

I would be surprised if they throw 30+ passes in a game during the non-conf games. they need to establish the running game, and to see how the OL is playing. If the OL is shaky early, you do not want a QB - any QB - dropping back 30+ times and being exposed to punishment.

Many unknowns at this stage of the game. I agree with "Short" where the offensive line is going to be a bit of a key here. Hopefully all the pieces come together to make it easier for a quarterback to do just that instead of fearing for his life in the backfield.

The only scenario I can envision where Morgan isn’t the starter is a) injury or b) Fleck likes the intangibles of Annexstad more as the public face of the team. Fleck’s a different cat so I wouldn’t be totally surprised either way but Morgan has the experience angle, both in college and high school.

Another change forcing scenario might be too many QB fumble or interception turnovers. Also, not picking up wide open receivers.

I figured the poll would show mostly Morgan for reasons stated, but I just wanted to see what the various opinions were at this point since it still is an open competition.
This seems to also show that if Zach is starter game one, majority would be surprised.

For the first game, against what is (sorry, but it’s true) an inferior opponent and an expected win ... the game plan will absolutely be to run the ball, establish the run, and not put too much on film for Fresno coaches to analyze.

Beating Fresno in week 2 could easily be the difference between a bowl (and 15 extra practices that go with it) or sitting at home.

At least in the noncon, I'd want both to play. Whoever is the most effective wins the start.

Tanner Morgan is a year ahead in development. So, he is the early favorite until proven wrong.

The thing is is, you want both QBs to shine.

We haven't even had a practice yet so its tough for us to figure out what is going to take place. Game situations is also a different animal. By all means you want both QBs to shine should a quarterback need some relief due a shot at his head or something.

We haven't even had a practice yet so its tough for us to figure out what is going to take place. Game situations is also a different animal. By all means you want both QBs to shine should a quarterback need some relief due a shot at his head or something.

Sorry but here is my latest dream about the Gopher QB. (When you’re my age, any dream is good, it means that I am still a live). Tanner gets hurt in preseason, Annixstead (sp) starts the first game and is ineffective. Seth Brown comes in and is lightsout the best player on the field. As I said, just a dream.

Sorry but here is my latest dream about the Gopher QB. (When you’re my age, any dream is good, it means that I am still a live). Tanner gets hurt in preseason, Annixstead (sp) starts the first game and is ineffective. Seth Brown comes in and is lightsout the best player on the field. As I said, just a dream.

:clap:

I’m looking forward to Antonio Thompson returning for his final year of eligibility. A dominant force at the safety position.

I think he's a character in Clue along with Colonel Mustard, Miss Scarlet, Mr. Green, Mrs. White, Mrs. Peacock, and Professor Plum.

Fleck obviously refused to play Green last season ... so he might well go with a walk-on at that point.

He played Green.

My mistake! I clearly missed that. Which games?

I don’t think he ever gave Green a chance to start though, even with neither Croft or Rhoda playing great. Anyway...

EDIT: according to the GopherSports roster for SG https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1078 , it says he only played vs Middle Tenn as a back up. So, I think I was basically correct that he didn’t play him last year.

Morgan starts and we see Annexstad vs. Wisconsin in an attempt to surprise them with a quarterback they don’t have tape on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morgan will be the starter early in the year, Annexstad will take eventually take over. Probably some dual playing time for a few games mid-season, barring any injuries.

For the first game, against what is (sorry, but it’s true) an inferior opponent and an expected win ... the game plan will absolutely be to run the ball, establish the run, and not put too much on film for Fresno coaches to analyze.

Beating Fresno in week 2 could easily be the difference between a bowl (and 15 extra practices that go with it) or sitting at home.

I could see a little of the opposite, though. Where they want to force the QB to pass a little more in the NC to try to get game action and prove they can do the job. I don't see them running 1000 different pass plays, but some of the more fundamental "everybody runs this play" type passing plays, if that makes sense.

Fleck criticized last year's team for not having a "refuse to lose" mentality. Preseason games tend to exhibit coaches "scared to lose" mentality. If you can run the ball 100 times in a row and win 21-0, that's what they will do.

I don’t think he ever gave Green a chance to start though, even with neither Croft or Rhoda playing great. Anyway...

EDIT: according to the GopherSports roster for SG https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1078 , it says he only played vs Middle Tenn as a back up. So, I think I was basically correct that he didn’t play him last year.

Like you now said, he played vs Middle Tenn St.

I could see a little of the opposite, though. Where they want to force the QB to pass a little more in the NC to try to get game action and prove they can do the job. I don't see them running 1000 different pass plays, but some of the more fundamental "everybody runs this play" type passing plays, if that makes sense.

Yes it does and you are likely correct. I think the important part is keeping it simple, and hopefully easy passes to build up their confidence.

He came in and handed ball to Kobe a few times. He may have taken off once on an option read

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom