GopherSports: Forever a Gopher: MarQueis Gray

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Gopher Sports: We saw you were out fishing today (July 21). Have you been up to anything else fun leading up to camp?

MarQueis Gray: Mainly I have just been working out, fishing with the boys and hanging with the family. I didn't want to do too much this offseason. I just focused on working out and family time because these next few weeks are about to be a grind.

GS: What has your NFL experience been like as you enter your third season with the Miami Dolphins?

MG: It's been great. This is my fifth team now. Being able to spend three years with one team finally makes me happy. I moved around my first couple years so being with the same team for this amount of years has been great. Going into camp I want to solidify my spot on the roster. That's always the number one goal. From there, it's about helping the team out. Make some plays, score some touchdowns and make the playoffs.

GS: When looking back on your time with the Gophers are there any memories that stick out to you?

MG: There is always the Iowa games. The moment we brought back the pig. Going to a bowl game, I know we lost that game but that was the year that I got married to my wife and my boys got to come down to Texas. There were some memories down there with them getting to be at the hotel with me. I remember on our way back after the game we got stuck at the airport for a few hours. It was all fun.

GS: What does it mean to be a student-athlete at the University of Minnesota?

MG: It's a great institute man. That's a big reason I decided to come there. They were known for their academics way before they were known for their athletics. I always knew once I came to college that it was a goal of mine to graduate. I got my diploma from there. It's located in a great city and I got to play for a great coach and with great teammates. I'm still in a group chat with a lot of my former teammates to this day.

GS: You were able to get a tour of the new facilities earlier this year?

MG: It's a nice facility man. I told the guys that I know there now how lucky they are. They have a nutrition building and everything. My nutrition when I was playing was Subway and McDonalds.

GS: Any other advice you would have for the current players?

MG: Just know that those long nights, those late night tutoring sessions will all pay off. You might feel tired after a long day of practice but it will be worth it whether it's going professional or into the business world. As long as you maintain good character throughout the years, make a few plays and show face in the community then you are all set. Stay focused on the schoolwork and don't worry about the NFL until it's time. Get your diploma first.

GS: Whenever we still post about your NFL career, a lot of Gopher fans still have your back and pay attention. What's it mean to have the state of Minnesota behind you?

MG: It's a good feeling. We didn't win too many games when I was there, but I believe I showed good character and it means a lot to still have a good fan base from the University of Minnesota.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/7/27/football-forever-a-gopher-marqueis-gray.aspx

Go Gophers!!

I don't know of anyone rooting against MarQueis Gray. A true Gopher in my mind whom we all enjoyed watching.

One of my favorite Gophers. I am happy to see him find a home with Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome guy, awesome player and it’s nice to see a family man cobble together a nice starter egg in the NFL. Looks like he’ll be in the second year of a 2 yr deal worth $2 million at Miami if he makes the final roster.

Loved him and his commitment to the Gophers.

Many in his shoes would take the easy route and transfer going through what he went through here. Switching from QB to WR, then back to QB, then WR, as well as having a coaching switch. Then of course before his Gopher career even started, he had the ACT issue, which forced him to sit out his freshmen year.

Good story of perseverance.

That Iowa game was a blast.

Top Bottom