Previewing Miami RedHawks' non-conference matchup with Minnesota, QB Tanner Morgan

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Cinci Enquirer:

Both teams, interestingly enough, were 5-7 in 2017. Gophers beat writer Randy Johnson of the StarTribune answered questions about the matchup, after he asked me questions about MU.

What are the expectations for the Gophers in P.J. Fleck's second season as head coach?

The expectations aren’t incredibly high for the Gophers in Fleck’s second season, because people realize that this will be a young team. Still, I’m sure fans aren’t happy about the prospect of another rebuilding year. Last year’s 5-7 record wasn’t received well, especially when the Gophers were outscored by a combined 70-0 in their last two games, against Northwestern and Wisconsin. Improvement on offense – the passing game ranked 122nd nationally last year – would go a long way to winning over critics.

Do you feel that P.J. Fleck's familiarity with the Miami RedHawks from his recent experience as Western Michigan's head coach gives Minnesota more of an edge than they'd otherwise have, without that familiarity?

I imagine it could be a bit of a benefit, and that knowledge of Miami certainly won’t hurt. But the Gophers need to focus on themselves first. With only nine scholarship seniors, they’ll have to grow up quickly. Fleck’s motto for this season is race to maturity, which is a fitting description. And I would think that Fleck would have at least a bit of motivation to beat an opponent from his MAC days.

Where do you feel Miami ranks among Minnesota's non-conference opponents this season? Do you feel that Minnesota realistically would need to go unbeaten in its non-conference schedule in order to reach the bowl-eligible threshold this season?

I’d put Miami second behind Fresno State and ahead of New Mexico State when ranking the strength of the Gophers’ non-conference opponents. Fresno State returns a good amount of talent, including the starting QB, from a team that went 10-4 and played in the Mountain West Championship Game. I have that circled as a swing game this season. As for Miami, Fleck knows how MAC teams can give Big Ten teams fits. He’ll have his team aware of that.

As for bowl eligibility, it would behoove the Gophers to win all three non-conference games. They have five Big Ten road games, so that makes the schedule a bit more difficult. If they go 3-0 in non-conference play, then their easiest path to six wins – barring major upsets - would be winning three of these games: at Maryland, at Nebraska, at Illinois, home vs. Indiana, home vs. Purdue. If they go 2-1 in non-conference play, they’ll need to win four of those – or spring an upset in home games against Iowa or Northwestern.

Which personnel changes between last year's Minnesota team and this year's team do you feel will have the greatest impact? Where might the Gophers be vulnerable against the RedHawks? Where might they have a decided advantage?

I believe that even though the Gophers will be starting either a redshirt freshman - (former Ryle High School standout) Tanner Morgan - or an early enrollee true freshman (Zack Annexstad) at quarterback, they will receive an upgrade at the position over last year’s duo of Conor Rhoda and Demry Croft. Both Morgan and Annexstad were efficient and productive in the spring game. They’ll have growing pains, but both have a good upside.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...n-conference-showdown-september-15/839745002/

Go Gophers!!

I think the Iowa game is more winnable than the game in Nebraska. Fresno will certainly be a measuring stick, as will Iowa in week 5.

Congrats to Tanner for showing up in non local news titles!

Top Bottom