Gophers have 3 home night games in 2018.

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
New Mexico State
Fresno State
Indiana

When was the last time gophers had 3 night home games in the same season?

Last year we had quite a few. If we're going with games after 5 p.m. :
2009 had two, Michigan State and Air Force
2010 had three, Middle Tenn, Northern Illinois and Ohio State
2011 had two, UNLV and Syracuse
2015 had four, TCU, Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa
2016 had two, Oregon State and Nebraska
2017 had five, Buffalo, Oregon State, Michigan State, Iowa and Michigan

As someone who has younger kids and likes to take them to games this is kinda a bummer.

I like a night game at home but not a lot of them.

No idea. Quick look showed 2 last year, 1 in '16, 2 in '15, 1 in '14, 1 in '13, 1 in '12, 1 in '11.

You may have to go back to the Dome Years to match it.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-minnesota-golden-gophers-football-schedule.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_football_team

Some of those might have been due to twins playoff games too, things got moved or were maybe going to move depending on how things played out. Twins playoff games got priority (granted.... made sense).

And lets be honest. Night games because we're relegated to Thursday Night and Friday Night games isn't anything to be proud of.

And lets be honest. Night games because we're relegated to Thursday Night and Friday Night games isn't anything to be proud of.

Let's really be honest. Who said playing night games was something to be proud of?

Let's really be honest. Who said playing night games was something to be proud of?

It is if it is a Saturday night game. Usually that's where they have the top teams play...

Last year we had quite a few. If we're going with games after 5 p.m. :
2009 had two, Michigan State and Air Force
2010 had three, Middle Tenn, Northern Illinois and Ohio State
2011 had two, UNLV and Syracuse
2015 had four, TCU, Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa
2016 had two, Oregon State and Nebraska
2017 had five, Buffalo, Oregon State, Michigan State, Iowa and Michigan

He said home games.

It is if it is a Saturday night game. Usually that's where they have the top teams play...

Use to be that way sure. However with FOX, ESPN, ABC and BTN sharing the Big Ten Contract that "exclusivity" hasn't been the case for a few years now.

I am old-school in this aspect - college football games were meant to be played at 1:00pm on a Saturday afternoon. for the big national matchups (Notre Dame vs. USC, old-school Texas and Oklahoma), then maybe the rare 3:00pm or 7:00pm game.

But otherwise, I'm a Saturday afternoon guy.

I realize that is unrealistic in today's fractured media universe. But, lately, I've begun to feel there is too much college FB on TV.

When I was growing up, you got one - or maybe two 'games of the week,' and they felt really important. But when every game is televised, no one game really jumps out as important, no matter how much the networks try to hype them.

I am old-school in this aspect - college football games were meant to be played at 1:00pm on a Saturday afternoon. for the big national matchups (Notre Dame vs. USC, old-school Texas and Oklahoma), then maybe the rare 3:00pm or 7:00pm game.

I realize that is unrealistic in today's fractured media universe. But, lately, I've begun to feel there is too much college FB on TV.

When I was growing up, you got one - or maybe two 'games of the week,' and they felt really important. But when every game is televised, no one game really jumps out as important, no matter how much the networks try to hype them.
Too much college football on TV? There is no such thing! Never be such a thing as too much football on TV. I've been watching replays on ESPNU and BTN just trying to make it until fall camp starts next week and we can at least get those short 1 minute video clips from practice.

Did you walk to school 15 miles uphill in both directions?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Did you walk to school 15 miles uphill in both directions?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Actually, I lived less than a block from my high school. (and I was still late some mornings.....)

I'm 62 years old, and feeling older a lot of these days. Tired of dealing with health issues and doctors, and increasingly tired of what has become an ever-chaotic world we live in. In a lot of ways, things were simpler to understand when I was growing up. And I find myself increasingly nostalgic for a time when things seemed to make more sense than they do today.

And, IMHO, the more there is of anything, the less special it becomes. when major league baseball had the Game of the Week - 1 game - it seemed more important. When there were only 1 or 2 college FB games on TV every week, they seemed more important. And, by extension, New Year's Day was a really big deal, with 4 bowl games to watch - Football All Day, Wow! Now, there are games seemingly every day of the week, with about 3 gazillion games every Saturday. But no single game stands out the way it did to me as a kid. Notre Dame vs. USC - Oklahoma vs. Texas - those were events.

Same thing with media in general. As a kid, we got 3 TV stations. Now, I get well over 100 stations - and half the time, there's nothing on I want to watch. I'm just not sure that more of everything is necessarily better.

That is probably a longer and more serious answer than you wanted. Sorry. That's the kind of mood I'm in these days. I just have a really hard time finding anything to be optimistic about anymore.

Too much college football on TV? There is no such thing! Never be such a thing as too much football on TV. I've been watching replays on ESPNU and BTN just trying to make it until fall camp starts next week and we can at least get those short 1 minute video clips from practice.

Then you should be very happy to look at this.

You're welcome!

http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

As someone who has younger kids and likes to take them to games this is kinda a bummer.

I like a night game at home but not a lot of them.

My view exactly. One is enough, unless the second one is against Michigan, Wisconsin or Ohio State on ABC with a chance to win!

I love night games. I like the atmosphere and it has less of a chance of conflicting with my kids activities.

Top Bottom