Why are (or aren't) you a season ticket holder for Gophers football?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I was asked the other day why I don't have football season tickets. Didn't really have an answer outside of the usual "I can get tickets easily anyway/I go to a few games/I end up out of town for a few games a year and couldn't go to those" types of responses.

Every year, my wife and I discuss getting season tickets and every year we don't. We have season tickets to a few other Gopher sports so it isn't a fear of commitment.

Anyone have thoughts as to why you do or do not have football season tickets?

I love the game day experience, I view it as a way of supporting the University, and I want to pass on my love of the Gophers to my kids.

It is a family tradition. 70 years of season tickets.

I love outdoor football in the fall.

There is more character to college football compared to the NFL where it feels corporate and artificial.

Football on TV sucks with the super zoomed in view.

Used to be a ticketholder 5 years ago. Price increase broke up our group of 8 and my wife & I just decided to move on to the Vikings instead.

Generations of alumni, love of the college game, gameday, the rollercoaster of emotions.

Used to be a ticketholder 5 years ago. Price increase broke up our group of 8 and my wife & I just decided to move on to the Vikings instead.

Vikes tickets prices are way higher...you find they are worth it?

Great idea for a thread.

I have two separate couples who sit in front of me. Each couple has had the same seats over 10 years. They did not know each other at first, but figured out their kids were in the same kindergarten class. Fast forward ten years and the families are close and the kids are best friends.

I love gopher football. Season tickets were the whole reason I moved down here from Fargo.

I believe in the future of the team.

I like supporting the university.

It reminds me of good times watching college football when I was younger.

It creates new great memories whether we win or lose.

Ive made new friends who sit around me at the games or go to events.

I consider almost every year, but then don't do the commitment knowing that I'll never get face value to sell them. I end up going to a couple games a year every year.

Great idea for a thread.

I have two separate couples who sit in front of me. Each couple has had the same seats over 10 years. They did not know each other at first, but figured out their kids were in the same kindergarten class. Fast forward ten years and the families are close and the kids are best friends.

I love gopher football. Season tickets were the whole reason I moved down here from Fargo.

I believe in the future of the team.

I like supporting the university.

It reminds me of good times watching college football when I was younger.

It creates new great memories whether we win or lose.

Ive made new friends who sit around me at the games or go to events.

Nicely done...hit on everything I missed in my post!

Don't see the point, I have little interest in seeing the non-conference games and I would rather just go to B10 games and pay lesd overall. I also find the atmosphere at the bank to be rather unexciting. In my opinion, the barn is and always will be the best venue in the state for pure excitment. The last genuinely exciting game for me at tcf was either the TCU opener or the Halloween Michigan game...hoping for a good football team and a better atmosphere at the bank.

The product on the field doesn't give enough value for the expense and I don't know if it's realistic that this becomes a top third Big Ten program any time soon.

Got priced out after a decade as a season ticket holder. Had no desire to keep season tickets by moving to the upper level when I could get single game tickets cheaper. Not an alum, so I don't have that tie-in and the ticket office has made little effort to get me to return, other than a couple of mass-targeted emails.

Vikes tickets prices are way higher...you find they are worth it?

Yes, because I can always get back my money for games I don’t go to. Also, the wife isn’t a fan of cold weather, so inside USBS we can attend Nov/Dec games together.

Would love to have them, but too far away. Had them every year growing up

I’m not a STH simply because from a time perspective, I can only make it to a few games each year. Just easier to buy single game tickets. I would love to go to more games, but too much going on with six children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was asked the other day why I don't have football season tickets. Didn't really have an answer outside of the usual "I can get tickets easily anyway/I go to a few games/I end up out of town for a few games a year and couldn't go to those" types of responses.

Every year, my wife and I discuss getting season tickets and every year we don't. We have season tickets to a few other Gopher sports so it isn't a fear of commitment.

Anyone have thoughts as to why you do or do not have football season tickets?

I am a season ticket holder. Why? Cliff notes version, I was born into it and have continued to embrace it. Love the experience, the fans, I just think it's a great time. Even when the product isn't what it should be.

Lots of fans here that aren't as good a fan as I am.

That is why we don't win as often as we should.

/S

Thanks for the responses from both sides of this.

If I had more friends who were gopher fans, I’d probably get season tickets but to go with my wife to a bar pregame and postgame, have no one else who wants the tickets if we can’t go, etc...makes it tough.

I love Gopher sports. Most of my friends don’t. Makes it hard

Not a STH. Up to now (although that might change), my job has required me to work every Saturday.

And, I really don't have anyone to go with. If I had tickets, I suppose I might be able to find someone who wants to go, but I don't want to spend all week on the phone or e-mailing, just to find someone who might want to go to a game with me.

But, if I'm being honest, I'm a cheap SOB. If I was going to get season tickets, I would want decent seats. I see no sense in getting season tickets to sit in the second deck in the corner of the stadium. And, for decent seats, it's just more money than I'm willing to pay, for the privilege of driving 5+ hours round-trip, dealing with parking, etc. I'm at a point in my life where I just don't like to travel anymore. I prefer staying close to home. I'd rather watch the games from my couch on a 55" Hi-def TV, while eating my own food, and being able to go to the bathroom whenever I want. (a big factor for me, due to side effects of medication.
I don't go to many movies in the theater anymore due to the same reason...can't sit through the whole movie without having to run to the can....)

It's all a matter of priorities, and when I weigh the pros and cons, I just can't justify the expense. Now, if a big bag of money fell out of the sky tomorrow, and I could quit my job and do whatever the bleep I wanted, I might do things differently. But, that bag of money hasn't shown up yet.

Had season tickets for twenty years. Let them go this year because of the coach, and the AD allowing it to become PJU instead of The U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too expensive, not enough about the school/students. I don't go to ANY U sports anymore, after 30 years of multiple sports dedication as both a fan and a student. The oar on the helmet solidifies it for me.

STH and Alum. Our group of 4 have had them for 12 years. We would love to find a group of 4 to split our games with as we have other things in the fall we would like to do (cabin up north, etc.), but still want to go to some games and like our seats.

We are from Rochester, so getting up to the "Cities" on Saturday is also part of the fun. We like to take in one of the many microbreweries pre- or post-game. Also love to hit the bars in Nordeast (Jimmy's, Dusty's, 1029, Jaros', Psycho Suzi's, Grumpy's, etc.). Outdoor football in the fall is great. Plus, I have so damn much Gopher gear, I gotta have a reason to wear it!

When I was a little kid, I couldn't wait to get the Peach Section to see how Sandy and the boys did. In grade school I wanted to be Jim Carter. In the early 70's I became a Tony Dungy fan because we're the same age. Later on, as an adult, I irked my Father by wearing those huge portable radio headphones that had an antennae so I could listen to Marion Barber run wild while we bailed hay! It's that foundation that made me a lifelong Gophers fan. When Grandkids started coming, there was no doubt how I wanted to bond with them...and that's why I'm a proud Gophers football season ticket holder.

Plain and simple....it's a priority for me to have season tickets and go to every game. Every home game is on the calendar and isn't a question whether or not I'm going, its just what we do. I think that is the mentality at a lot of schools and the Gophers just don't have enough people with that mindset.

Went to Notre Dame vs. USC last year and the tailgate was crazier than any Vikings game I've been to and the campus was swarming with picnics and people taking in the campus in South Bend.

Until the University as a WHOLE embraces gameday Saturdays and encourages fans to dedicate the ENTIRE DAY to football I don't see the environment changing. If the term thinking outside the box needs to be applied to any sector of the Twin Cities sports market it is the UofM. Up until now they have taken the approach 'build it and they will come'....and in my opinion its a pretty darn lazy approach.

I grew up having never gone.
My first Gopher game was in the dome for a non-conference game about 20 years ago.

With kids events, my weekends are too busy to commit to going to X number of games a year and my wife has no interest in sports.
Last year went for a non-conference game and took one of my kids and he had a good time, so we'll probably do it again for a single game but it's too much of a time and money commitment for all games.

I have season tickets and will maintain because I like having 6-8 dates on the calendar with scheduled fun time, and it's fun for me win or lose. I'm in section 103 so prices aren't terrible and I like the people around me in my section. I still think that the Barn is the premier in game experience at the U of M when packed full, Band sounds better there, atmosphere is better, but the overall event suffers because 80% of the games end up on a week night and I can only have so much pre and post game fun and there is no tailgating to speak of for basketball games in comparison to football.

I just like planning out what to cook out at the river flats before the game, casually hanging out with friends for hours before hand, and if it's an early game and the weather is nice hanging out for hours afterwards maybe at stub and herbs outside maybe back at the river flats.

Top Bottom