2018 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Surging WR candidate

The Vikings liked receiver Brandon Zylstra enough to outbid other NFL teams for his services by guaranteeing him $275,000 out of the Canadian Football League. Now Zylstra, the New London-Spicer graduate, is showing why during training camp practices.

Zylstra has stood out with highlight-reel grabs, including a couple sideline snags during Saturday night’s practice at TCO Stadium in Eagan.

“You always say it’s kind of a nice, nifty grab, but at the same time you’re trying to make those look routine anyway,” Zylstra said.

Helping his case is Zylstra’s special teams roles. He’s featured on nearly every coverage and return group. He’s even practicing backup holding duties during extra-point attempts.

“I’m the backup’s backup right now,” Zylstra said.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...-daniel-carlson-s-big-powerful-leg/490179021/

Skol Vikes!!

i.e. 2 years?

Philly showed what an elite OL can do for an offense and team. Their QBs and skill position players are average at best. Oline was the best in the NFL by far.

Exactly. Vikings have one of the worst. And I think they were just as bad last year as the year before, but Keenum saved the day.

I had no problems with the Cousins signing, but then they HAD to use resources to beef up o-line depth. Hughes was a luxury pick. I think if they liked Hughes that much, they should have traded up for him and had two first rounders.

Exactly. Vikings have one of the worst. And I think they were just as bad last year as the year before, but Keenum saved the day.

I had no problems with the Cousins signing, but then they HAD to use resources to beef up o-line depth. Hughes was a luxury pick. I think if they liked Hughes that much, they should have traded up for him and had two first rounders.

The offensive line is the biggest weakness on the team, however, I thought they were much better last year than the year before. If they can stay healthy, I don't think it'll be as much as an issue as some want to think. Cousins actually had more rushing yards than Keenum last year, and he was sacked at a higher rate in Washington.

The offensive line is the biggest weakness on the team, however, I thought they were much better last year than the year before. If they can stay healthy, I don't think it'll be as much as an issue as some want to think. Cousins actually had more rushing yards than Keenum last year, and he was sacked at a higher rate in Washington.

I really didnt watch any Skins games last year, but Keenum was a boss at escaping rushers.

Shama: Zimmer a Vikings Steal at $4 million

Yet it’s interesting to contrast the compensation of highly paid Vikings players with that of head coach Mike Zimmer. His annual salary is guarded by club officials but media reports have the 62-year-old Zimmer earning $4 or $5 million annually. But for all the talent surrounding Zimmer, he might be the most important individual with the team.

In the competitive and strategic world of pro football, the head coach is far from a figurehead or caretaker. “Coaching is 60 to 65 percent of (team) success,” former Viking defensive lineman Bob Lurtsema has reminded Sports Headliners.

Zimmer will soon start his fifth regular season as Viking head coach and the team is among the favorites to win the NFC. He has won 39 regular season games, more than any other Viking head coach accomplished in his first four years. Zimmer’s teams have won two NFC North titles and were within one win of advancing to the Super Bowl last winter. The only losing season Zimmer has experienced was his first year 7-9 record. The prior season the Vikings’ record was 5-10-1.

Zimmer looked like a career NFL assistant coach until the Vikings gave him his first head coaching job. From day one he let his players know he was on a mission to build a tough, smart football team that gives maximum effort. The process has benefitted immensely from Zimmer’s direction including his widely acknowledged expertise as a defensive guru.

There have been bumps in the road for both the team and Zimmer personally. When the club hasn’t met expectations he can be a difficult character to be around, but his competitiveness sends a message. So does his toughness which Viking fans followed for months when he coached through a series of eye miseries that began with surgery for a detached retina.

It’s the way of the NFL to pay the best players more than the coaches—sometimes much more. A June 12 Street.com story by Scott Van Voorhis reported the NFL’s top paid head coach is New England’s Bill Belichick at between $10 million and $12.5 million. Oakland’s Jon Gruden is No. 2 at $10 million, with Seattle’s Pete Carroll and New Orleans’ Sean Payton making $9 million, according to the article.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Skol Vikes!!

STrib: As tension rises between Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes, both Vikings are held out of practice

After a series of heated exchanges between Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes on Tuesday bled into another contretemps during Wednesday morning’s walk-through, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer held both players out of practice Wednesday afternoon.

Asked why Diggs and Rhodes did not practice, Zimmer said, “They did not make me happy,” later referring to “undisciplined stuff” in practice. Neither player’s absence, Zimmer said, was injury-related, though when he was asked about specific incidents involving both players, he said he would not discuss it further.

Diggs and Rhodes had a number of dust-ups during Tuesday’s practice, particularly after Diggs caught a long touchdown pass over Rhodes and fired the ball into the stands. Rhodes responded by staying on the field for snaps with the Vikings’ reserves, calling for Diggs to come back on the field and face him again. On Wednesday morning, Rhodes appeared to yell something at Diggs while the receiver had to be separated from safety Andrew Sendejo during the Vikings’ walk-through. Diggs left the practice field with wide receivers coach Darrell Hazell talking to him and grabbing his arm in an apparent attempt to cool him off.

With Rhodes out, Mackensie Alexander and Mike Hughes took first-team snaps at right cornerback.

http://www.startribune.com/as-tensi...h-vikings-are-held-out-of-practice/490415811/

Skol Vikes!!

WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

I'm already making plans for my Vikings Super Bowl party.

I may not be watching much NFL this year if they’re calling this crap during the regular season.

The 3rd preseason game is going to be interesting. Can Cousins look better than last week? Which linemen are healthy enough to play? When does Cook make his pre-season debut?

The defense looks like they are going to be solid. But the offense - with a new QB, new Off Coordinator, and a messed-up OL situation, needs lots of work. They may have to play the starters at least a half or maybe three quarters of the next game. Otherwise, I could see the offense getting off to a slow start in the regular season. (unless they think they can win a lot of 14-10 or 17-14 type of games.)

Cook is a big time talent, a threat for the homerun on runs and catching balls, this may have a big effect on the opposing d lineman not going 100% for the QB.

Offensive line was a pathetic part of a playoff team before all the injuries.

Defense is a top 3 unit again with plenty of depth.
We will see.

Vikings signed Bengals safety George Iloka.

Played and started in all but 4 games over the last 5 years for the Bengals. Big Time signing at this point.

Depth was somewhat of a concern with Harris, Kearse and not much else at S.

Someone has to get squeezed out in the secondary now, right? I hope it isn't Sherels.

Someone has to get squeezed out in the secondary now, right? I hope it isn't Sherels.

They're foolish if it is. I would say more likely Kearse.

Trade someone maybe? I liked the angle I heard yesterday (won't take credit for it) that they should trade Murray for an OLman but now maybe they could trade a defensive piece?

Trade someone maybe? I liked the angle I heard yesterday (won't take credit for it) that they should trade Murray for an OLman but now maybe they could trade a defensive piece?

Trading Murray after he put it on the turf twice in a few series, the market may not exactly be at it's peak. I wouldn't mind moving him though.

The Jets could capitalize BIG on trading Tedy B. They're going to go with Darnold at SOME point. They could get a really nice package for Bridgewater in the next several weeks.

Trading Murray after he put it on the turf twice in a few series, the market may not exactly be at it's peak. I wouldn't mind moving him though.

The Jets could capitalize BIG on trading Tedy B. They're going to go with Darnold at SOME point. They could get a really nice package for Bridgewater in the next several weeks.

Murray has never been a fumbler, has lost very few in his career I don't think one preseason game would change people's perception of that. I wasn't saying trade him because of anything other than the young running backs looked capable and would be cheaper.

Top Bottom