2018 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

6-5-1, scored 5 points more than given up on the season. Mediocre team is mediocre.

Three of the losses are @Rams, @Patriots and @Bears. Also lost to the Saints. The GB tie and the Buffalo loss are the killers. Should be 8-4.

13 rushing attempts vs. 44 passing. Cook only average over 9 yards a carry. The biggest difference from last year is Shurmur isn’t calling plays anymore. Sounds like Zimmer wasn’t very happy about it.

Another missed FG under 50. Re-sign Kai Forbath already. You arrogantly "fixed" what wasn't broken and now you're cursed. Also fire Prieffer. How he keeps his job no matter how many kickers and punters he cycles through on top of his other "flaws" is amazing.

Your hatred for the Vikings ST coach for making a gay joke or two several years ago runs pretty deep. I find this very odd.

The Vikings simply didn't match the Patriots' level of effort and attention to detail - which includes tackling, of course. If there's a "secret" to New England's success over the years, it's that they do the little things rights and give the extra effort, especially in crucial situations.

Winning at NE in December is obviously tough.
We have one of the league's worst offensive lines and it has showed the last two years.
We had zero sacks on Brady.
Cousins had about 1.8 sec to dump the ball off for 5 yards.
James White killed us. The way NE exploits matchups is something.
Maybe we play 3 safeties against them? Rather see Harris on White than a linebacker.

Shama:

‘Jury’ Still Out on Vikings Kirk Cousins

After last night’s 24-10 loss to the Patriots, the Vikings are 0-4 this season against teams with winning records. That also means Minnesota’s new $84 million starting quarterback, Kirk Cousins, is also 0-4 for the 6-5-1 Vikings who are scrambling to make the NFL playoffs after a near Super Bowl run last season.

Cousins has been impressive many times this season, including in Minnesota’s 24-17 win over the Packers late last month. He completed 29 of 38 passes for 342 yards, with three touchdown throws and a QB rating of 129.5. That doesn’t mean, though, that NFL authorities who praise him don’t also express concerns.

In yesterday’s game the Vikings scored only one touchdown, a late second quarter end zone reception by wide receiver Adam Thielen. The Vikings had struggled in the first half to get themselves going with an offense referred to as “herky-jerky” by former Viking linebacker Ben Leber.

Although the Vikings managed just a second half field goal for points, Leber saw a better quarterback. “He doesn’t seem like he’s playing mentally very fast (the first two quarters)…they come out in the second half and he was like a completely different quarterback,” Leber said during postgame comments on KFXN Radio. “I just don’t understand why it takes a lot of time to get him really mentally involved in the football game.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Skol Vikes!!

Shama:

‘Jury’ Still Out on Vikings Kirk Cousins

After last night’s 24-10 loss to the Patriots, the Vikings are 0-4 this season against teams with winning records. That also means Minnesota’s new $84 million starting quarterback, Kirk Cousins, is also 0-4 for the 6-5-1 Vikings who are scrambling to make the NFL playoffs after a near Super Bowl run last season.

Cousins has been impressive many times this season, including in Minnesota’s 24-17 win over the Packers late last month. He completed 29 of 38 passes for 342 yards, with three touchdown throws and a QB rating of 129.5. That doesn’t mean, though, that NFL authorities who praise him don’t also express concerns.

In yesterday’s game the Vikings scored only one touchdown, a late second quarter end zone reception by wide receiver Adam Thielen. The Vikings had struggled in the first half to get themselves going with an offense referred to as “herky-jerky” by former Viking linebacker Ben Leber.

Although the Vikings managed just a second half field goal for points, Leber saw a better quarterback. “He doesn’t seem like he’s playing mentally very fast (the first two quarters)…they come out in the second half and he was like a completely different quarterback,” Leber said during postgame comments on KFXN Radio. “I just don’t understand why it takes a lot of time to get him really mentally involved in the football game.”

Skol Vikes!!

The Vikings go from 1st in scoring defense to 13th, from 7th to 30th (!!) in offensive rushing yards per game - and we blame the QB? Makes total sense!

By the way - we went from 11th to 7th in passing yards per game, and from 7th to 15th in sacks allowed. I'm sure both of those are somehow Cousins' fault.

per RandBall on Vikes playoff chances:

VIKINGS

Current playoff probability: 58.5 percent (Football Outsiders); 60 percent (FiveThirtyEight).

The good news: Despite a mediocre and largely disappointing 6-5-1 record (at least on the context of preseason expectations), Minnesota would be in the playoffs if the season ended today and controls its own postseason destiny. Win four games in a row, and the Vikings are assured of no worse than a Wild Card berth.

The bad news: There are three teams perched a half-game below the Vikings at 6-6, so their hold on the final playoff spot is tenuous. And if Minnesota loses at Seattle on Monday — a strong possibility given the Vikings’ struggles against top teams this year, particularly on the road — the probability of making the playoffs dips to 43 percent, per FiveThirtyEight.

http://www.startribune.com/the-play...ams-will-make-it-to-the-postseason/502178781/

Skol Vikes!!

Charley Walters: Vikings badly need win over…

Were the Vikings overrated this season? Many purported NFL experts this year predicted 11 victories for Minnesota for a team that would play well into January.

But now, the Vikings (6-5-1 with four games remaining) desperately need a victory against the surging Seahawks in Seattle on Monday night, probably just to remain alive for the playoffs.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/08/charley-walters-vikings-badly-need-win-over-seahawks/

Skol Vikes!!

The Vikings go from 1st in scoring defense to 13th, from 7th to 30th (!!) in offensive rushing yards per game - and we blame the QB? Makes total sense!

By the way - we went from 11th to 7th in passing yards per game, and from 7th to 15th in sacks allowed. I'm sure both of those are somehow Cousins' fault.

A lot of this is Cousins fault.

Fact #1 - Keenum made the offensive line look way better than it was last year. Keenum was very elusive and made a lot of plays with his legs. Cousins lack of evading the rush is not his fault, he doesn't have the skill level.

Fact #2 - In 15 games last year, Keenum threw SEVEN interceptions. In 12 games this year, Cousins has already throw NINE interceptions.

Fact #3 - In 15 games last year, Keenum fumbled ONE time and lost ONE fumble. In 12 games this year, Cousins has already fumbled EIGHT times and lost SIX.

Keenum had 8 TO's in 15 games. Cousins has had 15 TO's in 12 games.

Facts 2 and 3 have given the offenses against the Vikings a lot more shorter fields to score against.

The irony is Zimmer was afraid of Keenum making the types of turnovers that Cousins is making this year.

Fact #1 - Keenum made the offensive line look way better than it was last year. Keenum was very elusive and made a lot of plays with his legs. Cousins lack of evading the rush is not his fault, he doesn't have the skill level.

Fact #2 - In 15 games last year, Keenum threw SEVEN interceptions. In 12 games this year, Cousins has already throw NINE interceptions.

Fact #3 - In 15 games last year, Keenum fumbled ONE time and lost ONE fumble. In 12 games this year, Cousins has already fumbled EIGHT times and lost SIX.

Facts 2 and 3 have given the offenses against the Vikings a lot more shorter fields to score against.

The irony is Zimmer was afraid of Keenum making the types of turnovers that Cousins is making this year.
Let's just eat Cousins' contract and sign Joe Flaco for next season. [/joke]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fact 2 isn't really surprising when you consider that Cousins has thrown more passes in 12 games than Keenum did in 15.

Cousins deserves some blame but I think it's more on the play calling. It's hard to be successful when you never try to run the ball.

Fact 2 isn't really surprising when you consider that Cousins has thrown more passes in 12 games than Keenum did in 15.

Cousins deserves some blame but I think it's more on the play calling. It's hard to be successful when you never try to run the ball.

Agreed, he's had an up and down year but the play calling and OLine deserve more of the blame than cousins.

Playoff Type Game for Vikings Tonight

Maybe I know something (or if you prefer, just assume I am speculating), but the Vikings offense likely will have an aggressive plan for tonight’s game against the Seahawks in Seattle. That unit has been under scrutiny for not producing enough points, lacking a running attack and faulty play calling.

A week ago the Patriots offense used early plays to spread the field and sometimes attack the flanks of the Minnesota defense in a game New England went on to win 24-10. Might the Vikings do something similar tonight, including misdirection plays to counter an aggressive Seahawks defense?

Minnesota hasn’t scored more than 25 points in a game since October 28. Head coach Mike Zimmer has regretted not having a better running game and after the New England loss the Vikings ranked 30th among 32 NFL teams in rushing. Offensive coordinator John DeFilippo has been scrutinized for his work.

The Vikings, 6-5-1, have four remaining regular season games and while some people within the organization don’t want to publicly place extra importance on the outcome tonight, others are willing. “We’re treating this game like a playoff game,” said wide receiver Brandon Zylstra. “Two…teams (Vikings and Seahawks) that are really fighting for a playoff spot right now. We’re going to bring the fight to them. Just be as physical as possible. We know a lot rides on this game.”

The NFC rival Seahawks are 7-5 and one of the teams that could potentially keep the Vikings out of the playoffs. Zimmer, who is often cautious about his comments with the media, was asked if the game has a playoff feel to him.

“I think going on the road with that crowd and the type of football team that they are, I think yeah, a little bit,” he said. “These next four games will determine what we do, and where we go, and how we perform in the clutch. Yeah, I guess you could say that.”

Skol Vikes!!

Once again, tackling is a difference in this game.

Spending all that money on skill position players to have a crappy o-line is so foolish.

It would be nice if the high priced QB wasn’t missing wide open guys. Both Thielen and Diggs where open and he forced a pass to Rudolph on 4th and short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Refs missed one. the lineman was holding the online head down so Wagner could jump over him

Wow! Refs missed one. the lineman was holding the online head down so Wagner could jump over him

The refs have been jobbing the Vikings the whole game.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It would be nice if the high priced QB wasn’t missing wide open guys. Both Thielen and Diggs where open and he forced a pass to Rudolph on 4th and short

This game is a disaster from the coaching to the reffing to the injuries to the execution. This team is not good, and they pissed their money away on an immobile mid-tier QB, at best, when they already had one and just needed an O-Line. Awful.

Last edited:

This game is a disaster from the coaching to the reffing to the injuries to the execution. This team is not good, and they pissed their money away on a mid-tier QB, at best. Awful.
That blocked FG should have been a 15 yard penalty. Think they give the Vikings an extra posession in Seattle? Nonsense.

That blocked FG should have been a 15 yard penalty. Think they give the Vikings an extra posession in Seattle? Nonsense.

That’s part of the horrible reffing...

Brutal. They never pick up flags for that. Except tonight of course.

Put Simien in for the 2 minute offense. No sense getting Cousins killed.

Top Bottom