2018 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Sendejo has pictures of Zimmer doing something unscrupulous so they won’t play the other guy. Sendejo and Chris Conte should get on their knees every night and thank the heavens because calling them horrible would be a compliment.
https://youtu.be/KyttW6etOpM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're exaggerating how bad he is. He's generally rated pretty solid. Not a superstar but not bad either.

You want me to ignore my lying eyes?

A great man once said "What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening." At least I think it was a great man.

Shooter: Charley Walters: Could Vikings replace Mike Zimmer with John DeFilippo?

It will be interesting, if the Minnesota Vikings’ season collapses, if Mike Zimmer is retained as coach.

The Vikings have a young, innovative, energetic offensive coordinator in John DeFilippo who is expected to receive serious consideration for several head coaching jobs after the season.

If the Vikings make a head coaching change, they could already have their guy.

Zimmer is 62. DeFilippo is 40. It’s too early to determine that Zimmer is no longer effective. But owner Zygi Wilf, impatient for a Super Bowl, has invested heavily in this Vikings team, and it seems unlikely that he would accept a non-playoff team.

If the Vikings lose to the favored Eagles in Philadelphia next Sunday, they would be 1-3-1. That’s a difficult hole from which to dig out.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...ings-replace-mike-zimmer-with-john-defilippo/

Skol Vikes!!

If the vikings don't start winning will he really be under consideration for head coaching jobs?

DeFilippo will be a head coach some day, but let's not get mental here, Charley.

The funny thing is, I heard at least 1 or 2 brief discussions on one of the national "expert" NFL talk shows in the offseason/preseason, like MMQB or Move The Sticks, talk about how great Sendejo is and how well he does in the Vikings scheme. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, actually made me have to re-think his play but I think he's horrendous, just terrible.

He was definitely a solid/above average starting safety last year.

STrib: Ground to a halt: Vikings' running game has been absent this season

Mike Zimmer was asked how an offense achieves its desired balance when its inability to run the football is so strongly pronounced.

“It’s been difficult,” the Vikings coach said. “But we have to be patient with it, No. 1.”

Good luck with that, offensive coordinator John DeFilippo.

The Vikings (1-2-1) take the league’s worst running game and most one-dimensional offense into Lincoln Financial Field for Sunday’s NFC Championship Game rematch with the Eagles (2-2). Philadelphia counters with the NFL’s top-ranked run defense and a late-afternoon kickoff that will allow an already rabid fan base another 3½ hours to lubricate its hostilities.

“It’s important for us to have balance,” Zimmer stressed. “It keeps the defensive line from pinning their ears back all the time. And I think it helps the football team overall. So, we just have to do a better job.”

But how?

The Vikings are last in rushing yards per game (63.0), 30th in yards per attempt (3.45) and have 16 fewer first downs rushing (26-10) than their opponents. Of course, it doesn’t help that they called only four runs in a game in which they trailed the Bills 17-0 before running their seventh play.

The Vikings also are the only team in the league without a rushing touchdown or a player with 100 yards rushing for the season. Denver has two 200-yard rushers, while 11 individuals leaguewide have more yards rushing than the Vikings’ team total of 252.

Asked if he has an offensive line that’s physical enough to get the job done, Zimmer said, “Yes. It’s about creating space and then trying to get to the second level.”

http://www.startribune.com/ground-t...g-game-has-been-absent-this-season/495110891/

Skol Vikes!!

per Sid:

• Pro Football Focus ranked the Vikings special teams unit No. 1 in the league last season. This year they are at No. 30, with this explanation: “A blocked punt for a touchdown, plus three missed field goals by fifth-round pick Daniel Carlson, basically cost them a win in Green Bay.” On the positive side, PFF wrote this about receiver Adam Thielen: “Through four games, no receiver in the league has logged more receptions as the result of being ‘open’ as Adam Thielen, who has 28 so far this year — eight more than the next closest receiver.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-says-vikings-will-benefit-from-tough-schedule/495366081/

Skol Vikes!!

per Sid:

• Pro Football Focus ranked the Vikings special teams unit No. 1 in the league last season. This year they are at No. 30, with this explanation: “A blocked punt for a touchdown, plus three missed field goals by fifth-round pick Daniel Carlson, basically cost them a win in Green Bay.” On the positive side, PFF wrote this about receiver Adam Thielen: “Through four games, no receiver in the league has logged more receptions as the result of being ‘open’ as Adam Thielen, who has 28 so far this year — eight more than the next closest receiver.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-says-vikings-will-benefit-from-tough-schedule/495366081/

Skol Vikes!!

Well good thing we got Dan Bailey! As the screen highlights that he is the 2nd-best kicker by % made in NFL history, he shanks a short one to cap off a big zilch on the first drive. Meanwhile, the Carolina kicker just hit a 63-yarder to win their game.

Little hurts more than being a Minnesota sports fan.

Well good thing we got Dan Bailey! As the screen highlights that he is the 2nd-best kicker by % made in NFL history, he shanks a short one to cap off a big zilch on the first drive. Meanwhile, the Carolina kicker just hit a 63-yarder to win their game.

Little hurts more than being a Minnesota sports fan.

Missed another. I can’t take it.

Missed another. I can’t take it.

Oddly, I had a lot of confidence he was going to make that 53-yarder. ha! Still gotta hold on here up 9 2:00 left.

Oddly, I had a lot of confidence he was going to make that 53-yarder. ha! Still gotta hold on here up 9 2:00 left.

Thielen nearly did the most Minnesotan thing ever on that onside kick.

A very nice win today. Cousins was fantastic, Thielen and Diggs are incredible.

Let's hope we can build on this.

Skol Vikes!!

Thielen nearly did the most Minnesotan thing ever on that onside kick.

But he stuck with it and pulled it in, which is Lynx-like in its tenacity.

This team's got some things to work on, but no reason they can't build on this and improve as the season goes along. They started kinda blah last year, too.

Lastly, it's reasonable to wonder what role the homophobic special teams coach has had in these kickers' troubles. He's the one common thread.

A very nice win today. Cousins was fantastic, Thielen and Diggs are incredible.

Let's hope we can build on this.

Skol Vikes!!

Agreed. I do think they need to try to run the ball a little more or Cousins might get killed by the end of the year. Murray had some success yesterday.

Also, I get playing prevent to make sure Philly doesn't score quickly but I thought the defense played way too soft on their last TD to get within 2. Linebackers were even playing 15 yards back. Either way it was going to come down to an onside kick. Why make it so easy for them?

Agreed. I do think they need to try to run the ball a little more or Cousins might get killed by the end of the year. Murray had some success yesterday.

Also, I get playing prevent to make sure Philly doesn't score quickly but I thought the defense played way too soft on their last TD to get within 2. Linebackers were even playing 15 yards back. Either way it was going to come down to an onside kick. Why make it so easy for them?

I think less Murray and more Roc Thomas

Yeah, the D was puzzling. It comes down to the onside, but if you make them run 3-4 more plays to get the TD, there's only 15-30 seconds left even in the event they do recover it.

All of this. Press a little more. Make them run a few more plays....and even IF they get that on-sides kick....they have almost no clock to work with. Zimmer handed them an easy TD while wasting almost no time. It's pretty much impossible to explain.

If Thielen wouldn't have come down with that OSK.....and it took a nasty bounce.....there's a good shot that the Vikes would have lost. Zimmer should be thanking Pikkiwoki for that one. It would have have been his head if.....with less than 3:00 in the game.....he had (and he did this part) let the Saints fly down the field on a non-existent defense (that he was likely calling) just to lose by a point on a last second FG.

No comments on the game today?!

Thielen is incredible, Murray had a career day and I thought the D played better.

And the Bears lost!

Skol Vikes!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

Pretty good game. I think almost all of Cousins’ incompletions were knocked down.

Sounds like Hughes is out for the year unfortunately.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

It doesn't hurt that the Vikings have two legit #1 receivers (one guy who came off the practice squad and another who was a 5th round pick no less). Diggs often draws the top corner, in this case Peterson, leaving Theilen to burn the second guy. And Theilen runs such good routes that he just shakes opposing d-backs out of their shoes. On his TD catch....when he was lined up in the slot....they actually had a linebacker on him. By the end of the game, Peterson was on him. And hey! Treadwell showed up today too.

Myrick likely to get called up to the 53 man roster with the Hughes injury. Holton Hill should get more playing time as well.

Maybe Newman comes out of retirement as well?

I was reading a Vikings message board and someone said the NFL prohibits this so teams can't just stash players on the coaching staff and call them in when needed.

I was reading a Vikings message board and someone said the NFL prohibits this so teams can't just stash players on the coaching staff and call them in when needed.

That sucks. Players wouldn't generally go along with that, if they still want to play. I don't see how it would become a major issue.

Cook can't stay healthy.

Per STrib:

Running back Dalvin Cook will miss his fourth game of the season on Sunday in New York, where the Vikings are set to play the Jets with Latavius Murray leading the backfield.

Cook was ruled out Friday because of the hamstring injury that has plagued him since the Sept. 16 tie in Green Bay. Cook was able to practice fully on Wednesday, but the Vikings held him out of practices on Thursday and Friday. Head coach Mike Zimmer was noncommittal when asked Friday whether Cook’s absence will continue to be long-term.

“I don’t know,” Zimmer said. “I let the medical people handle it.”

Cook has not played since the Sept. 27 loss in Los Angeles, where he took 10 carries for 20 yards. Cook said afterward his hamstring was still not fully healthy. He’ll miss his 18th game of the Vikings’ last 21 due to the season-ending knee injury last year and the troublesome hamstring this season.

http://www.startribune.com/running-...ay-s-vikings-game-at-new-york-jets/498053891/

Skol Vikes!!

Souhan: Sure as his hands, Adam Thielen extends 100-yard streak to seven games and makes NFL history

One minute he was sinking his teeth into an NFL record, the next he was spitting blood. Adam Thielen left MetLife Stadium with another milestone and a cut mouth, courtesy of a shoulder to the chin.

That hit left him wandering the sideline looking like a boxer without a corner man, even if he seems to be the rare star receiver who can keep everyone in his corner. Instead of the humble brag, Thielen has mastered the humble snag — the ability to catch a difficult pass, then pass on credit.

His touchdown catch with a defender’s arm draped on his chest? “Kirk pretty much caught that ball for me,’’ Thielen said of quarterback Kirk Cousins.

His reaction to tying an NFL record with seven straight 100-yard games to start a season? “Life is all about the people you have around you,’’ Thielen said.

After tying Charley Hennigan’s record, set in 1961, Thielen seems to be playing a character from “The Andy Griffith Show” (Google it). He’s a small-town boy who played at a small-town school and had to try out to make an NFL team and went on to greatness. It would be sickeningly saccharine if it weren’t true.

“I was talking to all of my friends back in training camp and I said, ‘You guys watch out for Adam this year — it’s going to be his breakout year,’’ Vikings rookie Brandon Zylstra said. “I know what he did last year, but I thought this would be his breakout year, just because of how smooth he was with his routes this summer. He’s a route technician.’’

http://www.startribune.com/sure-as-...-seven-games-and-makes-nfl-history/498166951/

Skol Vikes!!

Top Bottom