2018 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

ESPN: How the Vikings could land Patrick Peterson

Both owner and head coach have emphatically said the Arizona Cardinals will not trade star cornerback Patrick Peterson, so let's assume a trade is about as likely as the 1-6 Cardinals overtaking the 7-0 Los Angeles Rams in the NFC West.

Peterson does want out of Arizona, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, and a deal is at least possible until Oct. 30, when the NFL's trade deadline arrives. That gives us a window to consider theoretical moves, including one that stood apart from the others when I exchanged ideas with league insiders following Schefter's report.

This idea involved the Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings working out a swap that would include a handshake agreement resolving a separate high-stakes issue that is percolating behind the scenes but has rarely been mentioned publicly. In a way, all three parties could help themselves -- Arizona, Minnesota and Peterson.

Patrick Peterson to the Vikings? Here's how such a deal could make some sense if Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill were to reverse his clear public stance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...arizona-cardinals-cornerback-patrick-peterson

Skol Vikes!!

I'd much rather try to get help on the OL if they're going to make a big trade.

Both owner and head coach have emphatically said the Arizona Cardinals will not trade star cornerback Patrick Peterson, so let's assume a trade is about as likely as the 1-6 Cardinals overtaking the 7-0 Los Angeles Rams in the NFC West.

Peterson does want out of Arizona, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, and a deal is at least possible until Oct. 30, when the NFL's trade deadline arrives. That gives us a window to consider theoretical moves, including one that stood apart from the others when I exchanged ideas with league insiders following Schefter's report.

This idea involved the Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings working out a swap that would include a handshake agreement resolving a separate high-stakes issue that is percolating behind the scenes but has rarely been mentioned publicly. In a way, all three parties could help themselves -- Arizona, Minnesota and Peterson.

Patrick Peterson to the Vikings? Here's how such a deal could make some sense if Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill were to reverse his clear public stance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...arizona-cardinals-cornerback-patrick-peterson

Skol Vikes!!

Ouch. As a Cardinals Club Seat season ticket holder, I would hate to see Peterson go. He's been a huge fan favorite since he was drafted, almost but not quite as beloved as Larry Fitzgerald.

That being said, if a deal were arranged that benefited all of the above; Peterson, the Cardinals and the Vikings, that might not be terrible.

I agree with GIIowa though, much better to move for OL improvement. Although, in today's NFL, you can't have enough good DB's. Interesting to see if Peterson gets moved. I doubt it.

Ouch. As a Cardinals Club Seat season ticket holder, I would hate to see Peterson go. He's been a huge fan favorite since he was drafted, almost but not quite as beloved as Larry Fitzgerald.

That being said, if a deal were arranged that benefited all of the above; Peterson, the Cardinals and the Vikings, that might not be terrible.

I agree with GIIowa though, much better to move for OL improvement. Although, in today's NFL, you can't have enough good DB's. Interesting to see if Peterson gets moved. I doubt it.

With Rhodes' ankle this would be particularly timely. Once he's back to 100%, they'd have easily the best D backfield in the game. If defense truly does win championships...

Skol Vikes!!

What is in the Insider part of this article? It seems like making the salary cap work for this trade would be very difficult unless they take Everson Griffin or something.

Everson Griffen to resume team activities tomorrow.

Wonder if he'll play vs the Saints or not and if he does, if it will be in a limited role or not.

Even if he does play and we get Linval back which i think we will, I still wouldn't expect a win if Rhodes is out or not close to 100%

Everson Griffen to resume team activities tomorrow.

Wonder if he'll play vs the Saints or not and if he does, if it will be in a limited role or not.

Even if he does play and we get Linval back which i think we will, I still wouldn't expect a win if Rhodes is out or not close to 100%

It's a bummer Newman can't unretire. But I guess he is banned from joining the vikings, which is kind of a joke is he passed thru waivers. That would give every other team a shot at him, and if they didnt want him or didnt want Newman to join vikings, then they could put in a claim and Newman to vikings would be dead.

But I guess he is banned no matter what

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What is in the Insider part of this article? It seems like making the salary cap work for this trade would be very difficult unless they take Everson Griffin or something.

"Arizona would send Peterson to the Vikings for cornerback Trae Waynes, plus 2019 first- and third-round picks, with the Cardinals agreeing to keep Sam Bradford on their roster so that Minnesota will remain eligible for a 2019 third-round compensatory pick that would otherwise vanish."

We would get a compensatory pick that would likely only be a few spots behind our own third-round pick (assuming that we finish the season where we should), meaning it would essentially be Waynes and a first for Peterson.

If Arizona keeps Bradford all season, we (likely) get that third-round compensatory pick, but if they cut him prior to season's end, they (likely) get a sixth-round compensatory pick of their own.

STrib: Everson Griffen on return to Vikings: 'This is bigger than football'

The chair that sat empty next to Vikings defensive line coach Andre Patterson was filled Wednesday when captain, teammate and, more importantly, friend Everson Griffen returned to TCO Performance Center for his first meetings and practice since a monthlong absence to receive treatment for mental health issues.

"Hello everybody," Griffen said with a smile as he greeted reporters after practice. "First off, I want to take full responsibility for my actions that went on in September. I had a lot of support from my family, the Minnesota Vikings, the doctors, my teammates, the fans. I want to give my apologies to the people I impacted.

"I'm just excited to get back here with my team. It's been hard to be away. I'm taking it one day at a time to get things back on track."

Indications are Griffen will be active Sunday night when the Vikings and Saints face in the rematch of the "Minneapolis Miracle" playoff game won by the Vikings nine months ago. Griffen, 30, got one of his 65 career sacks in that win.

How many snaps Griffen gets Sunday night — or if he gets any at all — is a decision coach Mike Zimmer said he'll make at the end of the week. Wednesday, Griffen lined up at his usual No. 1 spot at right end in position drills during the 10 minutes of practice open to the media.

"I feel good," Griffen said. "I was able to work out. But this game requires more than just working out. I'm able to play football, but I still have to get back in the pass-rush flow and my run flow and stuff like that."

http://www.startribune.com/everson-...kings-this-is-bigger-than-football/498444592/

Skol Vikes!!

"Arizona would send Peterson to the Vikings for cornerback Trae Waynes, plus 2019 first- and third-round picks, with the Cardinals agreeing to keep Sam Bradford on their roster so that Minnesota will remain eligible for a 2019 third-round compensatory pick that would otherwise vanish."

We would get a compensatory pick that would likely only be a few spots behind our own third-round pick (assuming that we finish the season where we should), meaning it would essentially be Waynes and a first for Peterson.

If Arizona keeps Bradford all season, we (likely) get that third-round compensatory pick, but if they cut him prior to season's end, they (likely) get a sixth-round compensatory pick of their own.

Hard pass on that. Peterson is better than Trae Waynes but not enough to give up a #1 for the upgrade.

Hard pass on that. Peterson is better than Trae Waynes but not enough to give up a #1 for the upgrade.

Mannnn Peterson would look good at safety next to Harrison and in the slot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would but Trae Waynes has improved and may still improve, Harris is looking good and like he may continue to improve, Hill hasn't been so bad when he's stepped in. I'd rather keep the group we have now and save the first round pick for Oline or other needs. We've traded away lot of picks recently...

You would trade for one of the best corners in the league (and maybe one of the best ever) and put him at safety? Are you high?

You would trade for one of the best corners in the league (and maybe one of the best ever) and put him at safety? Are you high?

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] well..........it sounds pretty stupid when you put it that way!???????????????

Actually! I didn’t say that! Someone stole my phone! This is not me; it’s someone else![emoji41]

Never mind; I had him mixed up with Marcus Peters.

Last edited:

I'm with ya. Besides, it would be a tough pill to swallow giving up a 1st round pick when you could (should) have drafted Peterson instead of Waynes in the first place. That becomes a costly mistake, then.

What the hell?

Wow that Thielen fumble at the end of the half was a massive swing. Sure hope we can regain our momentum in the second.

Skol Vikes!!

Wow that Thielen fumble at the end of the half was a massive swing. Sure hope we can regain our momentum in the second.

Skol Vikes!!

It’s unreal. That one single play turned the entire game around from in-control and potentially pulling away to falling apart and getting destroyed.

Also, the Vikings kicking game is still broken.

Without being overly dramatic, I sure hope that fumble doesn't change the trajectory of the season. It certainly did this game, which would have given us some breathing room in the division. We didn't bounce back like I expected we would with a veteran team.

Skol Vikes!!

The Vikings are a borderline playoff team. Their defense is solid, but it isn't great. Their linebackers are weak, and they need to replace Sendejo. The O-line prevents the offense from being elite, and Preifer can't get the kicking game in order.

Without the fumble and the pick six....the Vikes still would have won that game. Not to mention that both Barr and Rhodes did not play.

It’s unreal. That one single play turned the entire game around from in-control and potentially pulling away to falling apart and getting destroyed.

Also, the Vikings kicking game is still broken.

It was crazy. Even the play calling got significantly worse after that. That last scoring drive was ridiculous. They took way too much time off the clock.

Without the fumble and the pick six....the Vikes still would have won that game. Not to mention that both Barr and Rhodes did not play.

So you're saying that without the two biggest plays in the game that had a 14/21 point swing, we would have won?!

Skol Vikes!!

So you're saying that without the two biggest plays in the game that had a 14/21 point swing, we would have won?!

Skol Vikes!!

If you read the post above mine....I think it makes a little more sense why I brought those two plays up again. I also addressed some of the issues mentioned with personnel that were brought up.

The Vikings are a borderline playoff team. Their defense is solid, but it isn't great. Their linebackers are weak, and they need to replace Sendejo. The O-line prevents the offense from being elite, and Preifer can't get the kicking game in order.

The O-line is by far the biggest problem on this team. The other problem is a brutal schedule. Just wow. Still have games outside of the division @NE and @Seattle yet, after already playing @Philly, @LAR, vs. NO, @NYJ. By schedule, injuries, and the loss to Buffalo, it's not clear that the Vikings will be making the playoffs yet. Arguably the only team of the top other 6 or 7 in the NFL that is not on the regular season schedule is KC. Probably will end up ~9-6-1. That might be enough to win the division. Might. They are as good as any team in the NFL (proved they can play with the Rams and Eagles on the road), and yet can be almost as bad as any at the same time (which you saw in the second half today, vs. Buffalo, @Philly NFC championship).

Last edited:

The O-line is by far the biggest problem on this team. The other problem is a brutal schedule. Just wow. Still have games outside of the division @NE and @Seattle yet, after already playing @Philly, @LAR, vs. NO, @NYJ. By schedule, injuries, and the loss to Buffalo, it's not clear that the Vikings will be making the playoffs yet. Arguably the only team of the top other 6 or 7 in the NFL that is not on the regular season schedule is KC. Probably will end up ~9-6-1. That might be enough to win the division. Might. They are as good as any team in the NFL (proved they can play with the Rams and Eagles on the road), and yet can be almost as bad as any at the same time (which you saw in the second half today, vs. Buffalo, @Philly NFC championship).

Stole my post! This O line isn't championship caliber, and until they get it fixed, the best efforts of all the other remarkable players on the team aren't going to be enough. Even if they get into the playoffs, they can't run the ball or protect the quarterback well enough to advance.

Wow, I didn't expect to see this headline:

Bleacher Report: Vikings QB Kirk Cousins Already Looking Like an $84 Million Flop

This is just meant as a question. It's not meant to be acidic or nasty. Just a question...

Is Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins showing he's worth $28 million a year? That he's worth $84 million in guaranteed cash? Is that the kind of player anyone saw when they watched him Sunday night?

The statistics from Cousins' game against the Saints will look respectable in retrospect. He was 31-of-41 for 359 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. The numbers were roughly in line with what his numbers looked like his last few years in Washington.

But so was the result. In what should have been a marquee game between two of the NFC's best, the Saints, playing on the road, won fairly easily. The final score was 30-20, but that last touchdown for Cousins and the Vikings came when the game was essentially out of hand.

For most of the game, Cousins looked out of his element. And this shouldn't be the case. He was going against the Saints defense. Swiss cheese looks at the Saints defense and says, "What's up, Twin?"

Cousins is paid the kind of money he's paid for moments like these. To stare down Drew Brees. To win a big game at home. To transform the season.

Instead, the best you can say is the Vikings aren't in bad shape. They're 4-3-1 and in a division in which no one's running away. And like his team, Cousins hasn't played poorly but hasn't been great.

But you pay $84 million for great.

He's had moments of greatness. A few, at least. But just moments. Fleeting, not transformative.

In many ways, he's the same Cousins we saw in Washington—and frankly that's shocking to say, because I thought we'd see a different Cousins. With all the weapons available to him in Minnesota—Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs—I thought we'd see him explode this season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Skol Vikes!!

Top Bottom