2018 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Zimmerman is doing a great job building Josh’s confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charley Walters: Vikings won’t be able to afford Anthony Barr

The way it looks now, it will be surprising if Anthony Barr plays for the Minnesota Vikings next season.

That's because Adam Thielen is on pace to receive the same five-year contract extension that fellow Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs got last July, $81 million with $40 million guaranteed for five years. Thielen, 28, can become a free agent after the 2019 season. Diggs could have become a free agent after this season had he not signed the new deal.

Thielen’s signing probably will mean the Vikings can’t afford to re-sign Barr, an outside linebacker who can become a free agent after this season.

Barr, 26, even though he’s not a premier player, is a good player. Under contract for $12.3 million this season, if he plays well might be able to command a five-year, free agent deal in the $55 million range from a team with more salary cap space than the constrained Vikings.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/22/charley-walters-vikings-wont-be-able-to-afford-anthony-barr/

Skol Vikes!!

After today’s performance, I’m ok with this. He has a ton of talent but always seems to have games where he’s absolutely terrible.

Former Golden Gopher Ramone Huber on the big hit on Diggs....(note sarcasm.)

After today’s performance, I’m ok with this. He has a ton of talent but always seems to have games where he’s absolutely terrible.

Today’s game? Why, because the NFL has made it almost impossible to play defense athletic QB’s not named Cam Newton?

Barr was called for a penalty for horse collar while being face masked and its almost impossible to aggressively tackle a qb running at you. The defender can’t leave his feet but the qb can. The defender can’t lower his head but the qb can.

Today’s game? Why, because the NFL has made it almost impossible to play defense athletic QB’s not named Cam Newton?

Barr was called for a penalty for horse collar while being face masked and its almost impossible to aggressively tackle a qb running at you. The defender can’t leave his feet but the qb can. The defender can’t lower his head but the qb can.

Regardless of that one play, he’s been terrible. Ducked his head and let Allen jump over him. On the play you’re talking about, he didn’t have to aggressively tackle him. Allen was on the sideline anyways, just make sure he gets out of bounds and it’s 4th down. I agree about the facemask but it was still a boneheaded play.

Regardless of that one play, he’s been terrible. Ducked his head and let Allen jump over him. On the play you’re talking about, he didn’t have to aggressively tackle him. Allen was on the sideline anyways, just make sure he gets out of bounds and it’s 4th down. I agree about the facemask but it was still a boneheaded play.

Fair points.

$84 million guaranteed huh? I need last weeks Cousin every week. He looks like deer in head lights.

Not his fault. At points in the game, he didn't even have time to throw a quick slant. The O-line lost us the game and I presume will lose us the Rams and Eagle's games. Suh and Donald as well as Cox and Graham will have field days against this line.

They also should have called more bootlegs and rollouts.

Last edited:

They could have replaced Riley Reiff with a cardboard box and wouldn’t have seen a drop off.

You’ve gotta hand it to them, when they have a stinker under Zimmer, they really go all out.

Not his fault. At points in the game, he didn't even have time to throw a quick slant. The O-line lost us the game and I presume will lose us the Rams and Eagle's games. Suh and Donald as well as Cox and Graham will have field days against this line.

They also should have called more bootlegs and rollouts.

Elite QBs make everyone better; elite QBs get the team into a better play. Plus we don’t have better oline because they gave him the all the money.

This is exactly the Cousins from the Washington days. He would have great games and then absolute stinkers. It was this inconsistency that made him a 10 to 15 QB in the NFL.

Elite QBs make everyone better; elite QBs get the team into a better play. Plus we don’t have better oline because they gave him the all the money.

Of course Cousin's isn't an elite QB, he's not Rodgers or Brees, but he is a good QB and a good enough QB to win a SB when you have all the other pieces around him. Right now thats still not the case.

Also Cousin's $84 million contract isn't the reason why our O-line isn't better. It's a matter of priority. We still had a good amount of money even after we signed Cousin's and were still able to go out and sign Sheldon Richardson for $8 million and give big time extensions to Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs. We also could have drafted a first round O-lineman like Will Hernandez or traded up in early in the second to get a guy like Braden Smith. The OG free agent class wasn't very good this year either.

The line still would have likely been just as bad even if we re-signed Keenum for cheaper.

They could have replaced Riley Reiff with a cardboard box and wouldn’t have seen a drop off.

You’ve gotta hand it to them, when they have a stinker under Zimmer, they really go all out.

Zimmerman’s attitude towards this game is the primary culprit IMO. Although Reilly would be a close 2nd. Kudos to the coaches for making the appropriate adjustments to help him out......NOT.????

This is a loser franchise that makes the worst decisions. Very awful. They hate the GOPHERS (and gays). Good thing they cut their kicker. Made a world of difference against the really really sad buffalo bills. All the best experts agree that the Vikings suck.

Of course Cousin's isn't an elite QB, he's not Rodgers or Brees, but he is a good QB and a good enough QB to win a SB when you have all the other pieces around him. Right now thats still not the case.

Also Cousin's $84 million contract isn't the reason why our O-line isn't better. It's a matter of priority. We still had a good amount of money even after we signed Cousin's and were still able to go out and sign Sheldon Richardson for $8 million and give big time extensions to Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs. We also could have drafted a first round O-lineman like Will Hernandez or traded up in early in the second to get a guy like Braden Smith. The OG free agent class wasn't very good this year either.

The line still would have likely been just as bad even if we re-signed Keenum for cheaper.

Fair points.

Charley Walters: Vikings won’t be able to afford Anthony Barr

The way it looks now, it will be surprising if Anthony Barr plays for the Minnesota Vikings next season.

That's because Adam Thielen is on pace to receive the same five-year contract extension that fellow Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs got last July, $81 million with $40 million guaranteed for five years. Thielen, 28, can become a free agent after the 2019 season. Diggs could have become a free agent after this season had he not signed the new deal.

Thielen’s signing probably will mean the Vikings can’t afford to re-sign Barr, an outside linebacker who can become a free agent after this season.

Barr, 26, even though he’s not a premier player, is a good player. Under contract for $12.3 million this season, if he plays well might be able to command a five-year, free agent deal in the $55 million range from a team with more salary cap space than the constrained Vikings.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/22/charley-walters-vikings-wont-be-able-to-afford-anthony-barr/

Skol Vikes!!

After today's game.....I'm glad that we won't be able to afford Barr. In a perfect world.....we'd deal Barr to Cowboys for Damien Wilson and an offensive lineman.

This was a clunker and they played awful. However, I think the game turns out very differently if the Bills go 3 and out on the first possession instead of another bogus roughing the passer penalty.

This isn't the first time zimmer has let the team over look opponents. Unbelievably embarrassing for a bunch of "pros".

Either that or the NFL is fixed and vegas and a few people made A LOT of money off todays game.

Rumors floating around about why Griffen wasn’t with the team today. Some saying there was an incident at the team hotel last night and the police were involved.

This isn't the first time zimmer has let the team over look opponents. Unbelievably embarrassing for a bunch of "pros".

Either that or the NFL is fixed and vegas and a few people made A LOT of money off todays game.

8 to 1. Shame I only put $25 on it. You could see a bad performance coming a mile way, but I didn't actually think they would lose.

Rumors floating around about why Griffen wasn’t with the team today. Some saying there was an incident at the team hotel last night and the police were involved.

That's Minnesota Sports. What type of "incident"?

I heard this too but can't find out what the rumor is, why hasn't anybody posted it yet?

Chip Scoggins: There's no other way to put it: Vikings were utterly unprepared for a Bills team they claimed to respect

They got what they deserved. Commit that many mistakes and show an alarming lack of focus, and this is what happens.

The Vikings consumed a large slice of humble pie Sunday.

They didn’t just lose. They offered up a historic loss at U.S. Bank Stadium, one of the worst in NFL regular-season history if judged by betting lines and expectations.

Buffalo Bills 27, Vikings 6.

Anyone who predicted that should immediately buy a lottery ticket and buy beachfront in Maui with the winnings.

“Obviously I didn’t do a well enough job preparing this football team for this game,” coach Mike Zimmer said.

Clearly not. The Vikings looked totally and utterly unprepared to play at a level that suggested they respected their opponent.

The Bills lost to Baltimore by 44 points in the opener and had a player retire at halftime of last week’s loss to the Chargers.

The Vikings took them lightly.

http://www.startribune.com/there-s-...bills-team-they-claimed-to-respect/494087181/

Skol Vikes!!

Sid Hartman: Don't blame Kirk Cousins for Vikings' stunning defeat against Bills

The first half of the Vikings’ shocking 27-6 loss to the Bills on Sunday had to be one of the worst in Kirk Cousins’ career, and it had less to do with his ability than with the offensive line’s poor blocking. The group remains a big liability for this team.

There’s just no way of understanding how the Vikings could come out so flat against a team considered one of the worst in the NFL and 16½-point underdogs on the road at U.S. Bank Stadium.

According to the Las Vegas sports books, the outcome was tied for the fourth-biggest upset in NFL history and was the largest upset since 1995, when Washington won in Dallas as a 17-point underdog.

If you ask me, the Vikings overlooked the Bills with a big game coming up against the Rams in Los Angeles on Thursday night. The game played out like a bad dream.

In the first half, Cousins went 9-for-14 for 44 yards, fumbled twice and was sacked three times.

And you have to wonder if one play early might have changed the whole course of the game.

http://www.startribune.com/don-t-bl...ings-stunning-defeat-against-bills/494087291/

Skol Vikes!!

I'm not even going to talk about this game, so I'll widen the lens out a little. Look around the league: Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, etc. The key in this league remains to draft the right quarterback, something the Vikings have been grossly inept at since they took Daunte. That's not a shot at Cousins, but he's very expensive, and it's like buying a used car: you have no control over how the previous owners developed him.

Sid Hartman: Don't blame Kirk Cousins for Vikings' stunning defeat against Bills

The first half of the Vikings’ shocking 27-6 loss to the Bills on Sunday had to be one of the worst in Kirk Cousins’ career, and it had less to do with his ability than with the offensive line’s poor blocking. The group remains a big liability for this team.

There’s just no way of understanding how the Vikings could come out so flat against a team considered one of the worst in the NFL and 16½-point underdogs on the road at U.S. Bank Stadium.

According to the Las Vegas sports books, the outcome was tied for the fourth-biggest upset in NFL history and was the largest upset since 1995, when Washington won in Dallas as a 17-point underdog.

If you ask me, the Vikings overlooked the Bills with a big game coming up against the Rams in Los Angeles on Thursday night. The game played out like a bad dream.

In the first half, Cousins went 9-for-14 for 44 yards, fumbled twice and was sacked three times.

And you have to wonder if one play early might have changed the whole course of the game.

http://www.startribune.com/don-t-bl...ings-stunning-defeat-against-bills/494087291/

Skol Vikes!!

Sid is trying to develop another close personal friend

Wow this is sad. I hope this is not CTE. Everson is only 29.

KSTP: Source: Viking Everson Griffen Involved in Incident at Minneapolis Hotel, Team Concerned About Well-Being

The Minnesota Vikings say they are concerned about the well-being of one of their star players after hearing he was involved in an incident this weekend.

Sources confirmed to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that defensive end Everson Griffen was involved in an incident at the Hotel Ivy on Saturday.

According to police records, a person at Hotel Ivy was verbally threatening to shoot someone in the middle of the day on Saturday.

The Minneapolis Police Department redacted that person's name from the report, but a source confirmed that it was indeed Griffen named in the report.

According to the report, at one point staff members moved to the back of the office while Griffen paced around in the lobby.

Police dispatch audio archived online includes a dispatcher saying that the suspect said to the staff that if someone wouldn't let him in his room that he was going to shoot someone. Police said no gun was ever seen.

At one point, the report said the caller stated that Griffen threatened to assault staff members and was laying on the lobby floor.

Griffen was never arrested, according to police

Minneapolis Police Department spokesman John Elder said the man left on his own accord and the caller was no longer cooperative.

Elder said the situation did not warrant any further investigation and the officers called to the scene told him they never saw a gun.

In a statement, Minnesota Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said, "We are aware of the situation involving Everson Griffen and certainly concerned by what we have heard. We are currently focused on Everson's well-being and providing the appropriate support for him and his family."

This is Griffen's ninth season with the Vikings.

He did not play in Sunday's loss against the Buffalo Bills. After the game, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told reporters that he was dealing with a personal matter.

https://kstp.com/sports/source-viki...eam-concerned-about-well-being/5083092/?cat=1

Skol Vikes!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

Top Bottom