Big Ten bowl game at Wrigley Field in 2020 -- deal is OFF, for now

Gophers_4life

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-wrigley-field-bowl-game-off-20180726-story.html

Sources told the Tribune on Thursday that the game is off, at least for now.

The breakdown in negotiations occurred because Cubs officials wanted a premier spot in the Big Ten bowl lineup — the ability to land the league’s No. 3 or No. 4 team. When Big Ten officials queried schools, the response was that they’d prefer a warm-weather destination.

The Cubs had the finances arranged for a bowl game at Wrigley but declined to make a deal for a lower-slotted Big Ten team. The two sides amicably parted ways and said they might revisit down the road.

This is disappointing to me. Chicago has been the historical "capital" city of the Big Ten for many years, and now is something like a "co-capital" with NYC focus for the more eastern teams and bball.

My ideal bowl lineup for the Big Ten included bowl games in both Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium. Those two places are bucket list venues for sports fans, and just generally fun, world-class cities to visit.

But I do think that the bulk of the Big Ten's non-playoff bowls should continue to be the southwest (SoCal, PHX, Las Vegas) and Florida.

Don't think we should continue having bowl games in Texas, Nashville, or Detroit.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-wrigley-field-bowl-game-off-20180726-story.html

This is disappointing to me. Chicago has been the historical "capital" city of the Big Ten for many years, and now is something like a "co-capital" with NYC focus for the more eastern teams and bball.

My ideal bowl lineup for the Big Ten included bowl games in both Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium. Those two places are bucket list venues for sports fans, and just generally fun, world-class cities to visit.

But I do think that the bulk of the Big Ten's non-playoff bowls should continue to be the southwest (SoCal, PHX, Las Vegas) and Florida.

Don't think we should continue having bowl games in Texas, Nashville, or Detroit.

Here is a fun exercise while we wait out the offseason: what bowl games to GopherHolers believe would be the ideal B1G tie-ins?

2017-2018 Tie Ins below:
1. Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA)
2. Citrus Bowl (Orlando, FL)
3. Outback Bowl (Tampa, FL)
4. Holiday Bowl (San Diego, CA)
5. TaxSlayer (Jacksonville, FL) OR Music City (Nashville, TN)
6. Pinstripe Bowl (NYC)
7. San Francisco Bowl (Not actually in San Francisco)
8. Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit, MI)
9. Heart of Dallas (Dallas, TX)

My ideal 9:
1. Rose Bowl - Obvious
2. Citrus Bowl - Don't know why, but I enjoy this bowl game for whatever reason
3. Sun Bowl - Not an equivalent for the Outback Bowl, but the setting of that stadium in El Paso is gorgeous
4. Holiday Bowl - San Diego is a nice year-round destination
5. Chicago Cubs Bowl - I really don't mind the idea of cold weather games and I would like to see schools from the south come north for once
6. Pinstripe Bowl - Yankee Stadium is an interesting venue and bookends with a Chicago Bowl
7. Las Vegas Bowl -I know it would never happen due to the Pac-12/MWC tie-ins, but would love to go to Vegas and the new stadium for the Raiders makes it even better
8. Cactus Bowl - For all of the snowbirds in AZ
9. Heart of Dallas - If its played in the old Cotton Bowl, could be cool

Bonus (Create your own bowl game!): The Bourbon Bowl - Louisville, KY

US Bank stadium should jump in and make an offer to host the bowl game if Wrigley doesn't want it. the "3-M Bowl" or the "Land-O-Lakes" bowl has a nice ring to it.

US Bank stadium should jump in and make an offer to host the bowl game if Wrigley doesn't want it. the "3-M Bowl" or the "Land-O-Lakes" bowl has a nice ring to it.

I always thought a "Cereal Bowl" presented by General Mills would be a no-brainer to be hosted here.

While I enjoyed the Sun Bowl when I was there, I'm glad I went when I did; I have zero desire to go near El Paso/Juarez these days.

I like our current bowl lineup; I'd try to trade the Foster Farms Bowl for something else. I'd prefer Phoenix or Vegas over that slot.

While I enjoyed the Sun Bowl when I was there, I'm glad I went when I did; I have zero desire to go near El Paso/Juarez these days.

I like our current bowl lineup; I'd try to trade the Foster Farms Bowl for something else. I'd prefer Phoenix or Vegas over that slot.

Yes.

San Fran, for all its money and silicon fame, is a home or destination mainly for people who have interests other than sports, like outdoors, wine country, foodies, techies, etc.

Not great weather by any means.

Wrigley is a fun one off stunt thing to do once in a while ... bowl game seems dumb.

I think if one jets into the city, shuttles around in the hub areas and interests then yeah, ok. Have to see them at least once. Personally, my reaction to Chicago and NYC can be summarized by the following. Different strokes...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AqNwo2NpmGY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes.

San Fran, for all its money and silicon fame, is a home or destination mainly for people who have interests other than sports, like outdoors, wine country, foodies, techies, etc.

Not great weather by any means.

If it was actually San Francisco it would be great... but the game is more in San Jose than anything else ... it's just office parks and city with down town that is not that interesting ...

Here is a fun exercise while we wait out the offseason: what bowl games to GopherHolers believe would be the ideal B1G tie-ins?

7. Las Vegas Bowl -I know it would never happen due to the Pac-12/MWC tie-ins, but would love to go to Vegas and the new stadium for the Raiders makes it even better

Vegas Bowl is going to be Pac-12 vs. SEC when the new stadium opens, and will be in that next tier of bowls below the NYD games (Alamo, etc.).

Speaking of which, I'm still salty about the Alamo snubbing us three times when we were the more deserving team. That's a trip I've always wanted to make.

Over the course of Bowl Season there should be about 3 different games in Vegas, they would all be well attended.

Really some garbage bowl would be nice. I'd go every year, I don't care who is playing.

Top Bottom