Rodney Smith on running back depth, explosiveness on offense, all time yards record

swingman

Reaction score
On replacing Shannon:

"I know Mohamed Ibrahim, he had a tremendous spring. I’m proud of him and how he’s grown since he’s been on campus. He got Scout Team Player of the Year last year, cause he really gave those guys on defense a great look. We had two incoming freshmen that I’m really proud of how fast they’ve learned the offense. Bryce [Williams] and Nolan Edmonds, those guys are coming along fast. And Jonathan Femi-Cole, he’s gotten a lot stronger this offseason."

On expectations for the offense this season:

“To be explosive — more than we were last year, definitely. We lacked the explosive factor after those first couple of games. Just to have playmakers step up and be consistent and consistently make plays.”

On what he has left to accomplish in his college career:

“Definitely. There’s always unfinished business. You never reach the pinnacle. But yeah, I definitely have unfinished business that I need to take care of. [Breaking the school’s all-purpose yards record] would be a tremendous honor."

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...all-interview-rodney-smith-big-ten-media-days

Kudos to the DailyGopher for attending media days.

On replacing Shannon:

"I know Mohamed Ibrahim, he had a tremendous spring. I’m proud of him and how he’s grown since he’s been on campus. He got Scout Team Player of the Year last year, cause he really gave those guys on defense a great look. We had two incoming freshmen that I’m really proud of how fast they’ve learned the offense. Bryce [Williams] and Nolan Edmonds, those guys are coming along fast. And Jonathan Femi-Cole, he’s gotten a lot stronger this offseason."

On expectations for the offense this season:

“To be explosive — more than we were last year, definitely. We lacked the explosive factor after those first couple of games. Just to have playmakers step up and be consistent and consistently make plays.”

On what he has left to accomplish in his college career:

“Definitely. There’s always unfinished business. You never reach the pinnacle. But yeah, I definitely have unfinished business that I need to take care of. [Breaking the school’s all-purpose yards record] would be a tremendous honor."

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...all-interview-rodney-smith-big-ten-media-days

Kudos to the DailyGopher for attending media days.

As tremendous as Smith is on kickoff returns, I really hope we don't see him back there this year. He's too valuable to risk, and there have to be some other players who can do a good job. Besides, half the time the kickoff goes through the endzone anyway.

As tremendous as Smith is on kickoff returns, I really hope we don't see him back there this year. He's too valuable to risk, and there have to be some other players who can do a good job. Besides, half the time the kickoff goes through the endzone anyway.

Agreed 100%.

Agree 100% with you and Lakeville Goldy. Also like to suggest none of 2-deep DB's return punts. We can't afford injuries there either.

Remember Murphy's Law with the Finagle Corollary; Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment. However, my favorite corollary is: "Murphy was an optimist".

Rokdney looked fantastic receiving some balls out of the backfield in Spring game, as did Ibrahim. I think that gets better incorporated in the offense. On top off his 1,373 rushing yards in 2016 at WMU, Jarvion Franklin had 288 rcvng yards.

Tyler Johnson, Phil Howard, AutmanBell, Bateman, Douglas, Seth Green, and Rodney or Ibrahim gives us eight nice weapons to build on in the passing game.

Man, am I glad that none of you are the coach. The chances of Smith getting hurt on ANY running play are far higher than on ANY kick off return. Real stats are a bitch. There is absolutely no tangible statistical evidence that KO returns are more dangerous. None.

I hope he gets 2-3 of TD on KOR and you can cry the whole time he's going down the field and even complain to your friends!!! Unbelievable.

Top Bottom