Minnesota football: PJ Fleck’s boat running out of gas in 2018?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SaturdayBlitz:

I’m not sure if there’s ever been more hype lost in one year than the hype surrounding P.J. Fleck. The former Western Michigan head coach went from hottest commodity on the market, to Minnesota, to nobody, in one year.

Now, to say that’s he nobody is a bit of hyperbole. Fleck is obviously still a high-profile name, and there’s still a ton of excitement around him. However, his first year at Minnesota tampered expectations quite a bit. Now he needs to show progress in year two.

It’s not too surprising that year one was a struggle. A ton of talent from their nine-win season in 2016 had departed. There was no sure thing at quarterback, on the line, at receiver or anywhere on defense. With so much youth, on a team that doesn’t recruit very well, there will be some struggles.

Fleck’s squad did flash some potential, though. The Golden Gophers were dominant in four of their five wins, and nearly beat Michigan State and Iowa. They also got smacked by Michigan and didn’t score a single point against Northwestern or Wisconsin. With young players, that’ll happen.

With young players come viable excuses, but as a young team ages, excuses go away. Fleck can’t blame inexperience this year. If Minnesota wins games, he won’t need to.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2018/07/25/minnesota-football-2018-season-preview-and-prediction/

Go Gophers!!

Almost beat MSU and Iowa?

That's the kindest article I've read regarding those two games.

Almost beat MSU and Iowa?

That's the kindest article I've read regarding those two games.

That's the kind of analysis where you didn't watch a single game last year, looked at the final scores, and didn't even click on them to look at the box score/game stats.

When you've got to review all 130 teams each pre-season, I can somewhat understand it.

Somebody scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for something to write about. Come on guy, you can do better than that. If you can't, get out of the business.

Absurd premise, absurd article.

Top Bottom