STrib: Freshmen Kalscheur and Omersa having strong summer with the Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Omersa didn’t just want to blend in with their Gophers teammates when practice started in June. They wanted to make an impression. And they have in their own way in the last month.

Even on a team with several experienced players returning at their positions, Kalscheur and Omersa are making a strong case to get playing time as freshmen.

“They’re versatile and can bring different things to the table,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said.

Kalscheur, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound shooting guard from DeLaSalle, was arguably the best shooter to come out of Minnesota’s high school ranks since former Hopkins star Blake Hoffarber a decade ago.

Surprisingly, Kalscheur’s three-point shooting isn’t necessarily what might get him extended minutes on the court this season. He’s actually a better defender than he got credit for in high school. But that’s not it, either. It’s his work ethic and his attention to detail that is definitely being noticed, Pitino said.

“What I’m excited about Gabe is I think he’s going to be a really good player,” Pitino said. “The reason why Gabe is going to be a good player is every day before practice he’s the first one on the court 30 minutes before practice. And he’s not jacking up half court shots or lying on the ground. He comes in there and does form shooting, he works on his game. He cares about all the little things. And a lot of young people don’t care about the little things – and that’s why they struggle with playing time. The details are important to Gabe and that’s what is going to force me to play him.”

“Jarvis has been really good,” Pitino said. “He’s great for (All-Big Ten senior forward) Jordan Murphy, because physically he will not back down. He doesn’t really get tired. He’s in great shape. He’s clearly a terrific athlete.”

http://www.startribune.com/freshmen...ing-strong-summer-with-the-gophers/489141531/

Go Gophers!!

I really like the fact that Jarvis will be able to go up against Murphy in practice all year! that will only benefit him for the future. Although he is going to get worked over more times then not I think it will really help him!

And how bout the competition in practice at the guard position! Jelly, Pree, Stull, Gabe, Carr, & Willis.

Very glad to hear things like this about Gabe. With only four true guards eligible, we are going to need him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any rumblings on whether Carr will be eligible this year yet after not getting Crandell?

Any rumblings on whether Carr will be eligible this year yet after not getting Crandell?

I've been wondering the same thing... why all the mystery on this issue. Simple yay or nay one would think ? Would be massive to have Carr eligible, and would take the sting out of losing Geno.

I've been wondering the same thing... why all the mystery on this issue. Simple yay or nay one would think ? Would be massive to have Carr eligible, and would take the sting out of losing Geno.

Did I miss something? How would Carr be eligible this year? He played last year at Pitt, transferred here so would have to sit out according to NCAA rules. He is not a graduate transfer.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...antly-after-a-coaching-change-picks-up-steam/

Here's the article - as you can see, this came up back in January, but I haven't heard much about it since. Sounds like they are trying to make a determination, and there was a chance it would happen prior to start of 2018 Football season. But given where we're at it seems unlikely a decision will be made this year - if ever.

Just assume Carr will not be eligible to play in 2018-19. If that changes you will hear about it on this board, but there is maybe a 2% chance of that happening so I wouldn't plan on it.

There's a post on the football board that states Indiana has a linebacker that will be immediately eligible following a transfer from Georgia Tech. The kid is the son of Ted Roof. Ted Roof was the Defensive Coordinator at GT last year but left after the season for NCSU. The move by dad caused the son to transfer to Indiana. Thus, the player left Georgia Tech because a coach left the school...

Sound familiar?

This would obviously be positive traction if the NCAA was run in a logical manner but we all know otherwise. Take it for what it's worth.

Did I miss something? How would Carr be eligible this year? He played last year at Pitt, transferred here so would have to sit out according to NCAA rules. He is not a graduate transfer.

They filed or were going file a waiver for immediate eligibility with his transfer because he left Pitt due to his coach getting fired. The NCAA was considering adjusting transfer rules to let players leave school without penalty if a head coach gets let go. I think their expectation was that he would have to sit out a year, but it was worth the attempt.

Carr would be a big boost to the roster this year. Lot of experience in a major conference and is a primary ball-handler type

Just assume Carr will not be eligible to play in 2018-19. If that changes you will hear about it on this board, but there is maybe a 2% chance of that happening so I wouldn't plan on it.
The last time a Gopherholer gave a Gopher basketball player a 2% chance of playing in the upcoming season it worked out pretty well...

They filed or were going file a waiver for immediate eligibility with his transfer because he left Pitt due to his coach getting fired. The NCAA was considering adjusting transfer rules to let players leave school without penalty if a head coach gets let go. I think their expectation was that he would have to sit out a year, but it was worth the attempt.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that we had filed a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Isn't Jarvis younger than Matthew Hurt. I think Jarvis is still 17?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like Jarvis and Gabe are in the top three with Pree (if I'm identifying them correctly)... Omersa is flying. Nice to see a freshman busting his ass.

Top Bottom