2018 National Officiating Test

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Stolen from reddit/r/cfb - in case anyone is really, really jonesing for an off-season fix:

With fall quickly approaching, everybody is getting prepped for another season of football. Included in that is the officials. One of the things people don't realize about officials is that part of our qualification includes a written rules test to make sure everybody is keeping up with offseason studying as well as the new changes. All NCAA officials from D1 to D3 take this test. Officially the national minimum score is 85/100, but many conferences require 90/100. Below is a PDF of this year's test as well as a Google Doc with the answers. I know this doesn't really appeal to the average fan, but I thought some of y’all may be interested in seeing part what goes into the training of officials.

.pdf Test
Answers

Team-A (Iowa) offensive linemen wraps up and tackles Team-B (Gophers) DL from behind like the DL just stole his laptop or something:

A. Don't do anything.
B. See A.

*For the record I don't like to bitch about officiating much but the last home game vs Iowa had some absolutely brutal holds that still kinda upset me...

3rd & 6 from A12, A7 ‘s pass is intercepted by B11 at A-17 and returned 17 yards for an apparent touchdown. After the pass was thrown, B37 took 1 step and targeted A7. B37 is flagged for targeting and is kicked out of the game.

A) 1st & 10 at A27, B37 disqualified.
B) Game involves undefeated Ohio State, reverse penalty & allow TD.

The things you learn from these tests..... :)

I agree. Some of these calls or lack of calls were absolutely mind blowing during the season. I would think as you ref from year to year you would get better.

What I found interesting during the Bill Carollo press conference was the first question asked. If Coaches and players have to face the press after a tough win/loss and explain poor play selection/ execution, then why shouldn‘t an official from the game explain why/why not calls were made. He gave the standard answer, the NCAA doesn’t want officials judgment officially questioned. Sorry but they need to be questioned. Can’t stand heat! Get out othe kitchen. Can’t help but think the good ole‘ boys network still applies. I am convinced that an underdog has to beat more than 11 in any tight game. And no, I am not saying that game officials are throwing games. But what I am saying is that when no one ever questions why that call was/was not made, they are more than likely to favor the favorite 95 percent of the time. Why can’t the Big Ten be a trend setter in holding officials accountable? I, once asked the high school association director that exact question. His answer, coach we would never be able to find officials willing to have their judgments questioned.

What I found interesting during the Bill Carollo press conference was the first question asked. If Coaches and players have to face the press after a tough win/loss and explain poor play selection/ execution, then why shouldn‘t an official from the game explain why/why not calls were made. He gave the standard answer, the NCAA doesn’t want officials judgment officially questioned. Sorry but they need to be questioned. Can’t stand heat! Get out othe kitchen. Can’t help but think the good ole‘ boys network still applies. I am convinced that an underdog has to beat more than 11 in any tight game. And no, I am not saying that game officials are throwing games. But what I am saying is that when no one ever questions why that call was/was not made, they are more than likely to favor the favorite 95 percent of the time. Why can’t the Big Ten be a trend setter in holding officials accountable? I, once asked the high school association director that exact question. His answer, coach we would never be able to find officials willing to have their judgments questioned.

I don't think you would get many refs after that.... all they would get is **** on... that's it.

These guys aren't paid enough to just have everyone hate them.

Nothing positive would come from that.

I don't think you would get many refs after that.... all they would get is **** on... that's it.

These guys aren't paid enough to just have everyone hate them.

Nothing positive would come from that.

CFB is definitely hard up for money.

Top Bottom