KC Star: Subpoenas show feds asked KU for info regarding two players’ recruitment

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the KC Star:

The Kansas athletic department received two subpoenas from federal prosecutors requesting information related to the FBI investigation into college basketball, The Star has learned through a Kansas Open Records Act request.

The first subpoena, dated Jan. 8, 2018, asked for “[a]ll documents regarding the recruitment and enrollment” of a player whose name was redacted by KU. In addition, the subpoena asked for any record of communication between KU and that player and his family. The document later requested all exchanges between KU department officials and “James Gatto, a/k/a “Jim”; (ii) Christopher Rivers; (iii) Thomas (“TJ”) Gassnola; (iv) Merl Code, and (v) any other representative of Adidas” before asking for all of KU’s contracts and oral agreements KU had agreed to with Adidas.

The second subpoena, signed March 14, 2018, requested all information about the recruitment and enrollment of another player, whose name also was redacted by KU. This subpoena had added stipulations that KU provide:

• Any documents in connection with the player’s eligibility.

• Any interview transcript or recording in connection with the investigation of the player’s eligibility.

KU received both of these subpoenas before federal prosecutors released a superceding indictment in its ongoing college basketball investigation on April 10. The new charges filed that day against Adidas executive Gatto by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York revealed that a mother and a guardian of two unidentified KU athletes — believed to be Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa — were said to have benefited from illegal payments made without the knowledge of the university.

The Star obtained the subpoenas Tuesday from KU after it had requested them through a previous open records request. Following an initial denial, The Star challenged that the documents should be released.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article215457680.html

Go Gophers!!

If Hurt wants to play college basketball he needs to stay away from Kanas and the Adidas links. It is getting obvious that Adidas has some major issues with recruiting and Hurt needs to not let it taint his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hurt to Kansas would be good. His family could drive and see him play a lot

Hurt to Kansas would be good. His family could drive and see him play a lot

Yep. And see him play on KS teams that suck for the first time in about 50 years due to sanctions.

University had no knowledge is the key part. Just out of line Adiddas employees

If Hurt wants to play college basketball he needs to stay away from Kanas and the Adidas links. It is getting obvious that Adidas has some major issues with recruiting and Hurt needs to not let it taint his career.

Huh?

We have no idea if Hurt is involved with any of this. Hurt will be a one and done anyway. I really doubt he cares about any clout regarding Kansas or North Carolina or Kentucky or any blue blood school that he is considering. Even *if* he is involved in any way it wont matter by the time he gets to the NBA.

University had no knowledge is the key part. Just out of line Adiddas employees
Iam sure. I would hope they were smart enough to cover their tracks, but with the threat of federal pound me in the ass prison time, will see how many Adidas execs will make a deal for lesser sentences and sentences in white collar facilities

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hurt should stay away from Kansas, far away. The Adidas scandal is growing versus going away.

Huh?

We have no idea if Hurt is involved with any of this. Hurt will be a one and done anyway. I really doubt he cares about any clout regarding Kansas or North Carolina or Kentucky or any blue blood school that he is considering. Even *if* he is involved in any way it wont matter by the time he gets to the NBA.

I was not assuming he has any involvement, just pointing out that there is no suspicion of involvement if he stays away from an Adidas school. Also, Kansas may be sanctioned by the NCAA. Best to steer clear of any possible mess, he can get to the NBA through any school.

Top Bottom