What We Know About Gophers Schedule

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Still 5 Gophers non-conference games to be determined, two of which will be part of the Vancouver Showcase. All 5 are likely to be home games. Here's an update on what we know so far about the 2018-19 schedule.

Non-Conference (6 of 11 accounted for)
Nov. 12: #58 UTAH (Q2)
Nov. 18 vs. #29 Texas A&M (Q1) (Vancouver Showcase)
Nov. 20 vs. #71 Washington (Q2)/#265 Santa Clara (Q4) (Vancouver Showcase)
Nov. 26: @ #95 Boston College (Q2)
Nov. 30: vs. #90 Oklahoma State (Q2) (Minneapolis)
Dec. 11: #218 NORTH FLORIDA (Q4)
Date TBD: TBD (Vancouver Showcase)
Date TBD: TBD (Vancouver Showcase)

B1G (20)
ILLINOIS*
@ Illinois*
INDIANA*
IOWA*
MARYLAND*
@ Maryland*
MICHIGAN*
@ Michigan*
@ Michigan State*
NEBRASKA*
@ Nebraska*
@ Northwestern*
@ Ohio State*
PENN STATE*
PURDUE*
@ Purdue*
RUTGERS*
@ Rutgers*
WISCONSIN*
@ Wisconsin*

B1G Tournament (Chicago)
March 13 -- Weakling Wednesday
March 14 -- 2nd Round
March 15 -- Quarterfinals
March 16 -- Semifinals
March 17 -- Championship Game

Big ten schedule isn't exactly murderers row. Team needs to win at least eight at home. Helps they get Rutgers and Illini twice each

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Big ten schedule isn't exactly murderers row. Team needs to win at least eight at home. Helps they get Rutgers and Illini twice each

Helps the Gophers for the conference standings, hurts the SOS/RPI/Quadrant stuff.

Helps the Gophers for the conference standings, hurts the SOS/RPI/Quadrant stuff.
True that's why they have to take care of business early in non con. It also looks like we get Nebraska, Michigan and Wisconsin twice, as well as Maryland. Need to protect home court in those games, they'll be tough on the road. Hopefully we schedule one more quad 2 team in non con

Oklahoma State game will be Nov. 30

Preceded by St. Thomas vs. UW-River Falls.

Doubleheader following day is NDSU vs. Drake & SDSU vs. UNI.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Preceded by St. Thomas vs. UW-River Falls.

Doubleheader following day is NDSU vs. Drake & SDSU vs. UNI.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Bummer. I was hoping some blue bloods or anything serious final four contender would want to game on this floor. I guess the U didn't want to be upstaged either

Bummer. I was hoping some blue bloods or anything serious final four contender would want to game on this floor. I guess the U didn't want to be upstaged either

Could be true, or a lot of those teams don't want to travel to Minnesota for a neutral site game in a stadium

Personally I'd have much preferred one of the D1 matchups to precede our game. Don't have much interest in watching UST hoops, but whatever.

Personally I'd have much preferred one of the D1 matchups to precede our game. Don't have much interest in watching UST hoops, but whatever.

Ditto. ... and I'm a St. Thomas alum.

Would much rather have the SDSU-UNI game paired with the Gopher game. Better yet, I'd rather have the Gophers playing SDSU than Oklahoma State.

Seriously will the Dakotas doubleheader get 10K? Will Gophers get 15 K?

US Bank game on Friday, Nov 30, probably explains why they got a Monday slot in the Big 10/ACC Challenge. It will be a busy week for the Gophers, playing a Big 10 game 2 days after Ok St (Sunday) and then another the following Tuesday.

I'll be in Vegas, so can't wait.

Attendance for this will be dismal.

Would have liked to have seen Iowa State, Marquette, Creighton...someone interesting, as part of the Gophers double header. D3 basketball is not very interesting.

Ditto. ... and I'm a St. Thomas alum.

Would much rather have the SDSU-UNI game paired with the Gopher game. Better yet, I'd rather have the Gophers playing SDSU than Oklahoma State.

I'm guessing the only people attending the St. Thomas/River Falls game will be people who want to get there early to see Minnesota/Oklahoma State, and that's why it was set up that way.

We could get a home game against South Dakota State any time we want. The same is not true of power conference teams, so I think it's best we're playing Oklahoma State instead. OSU wouldn't even bother coming up here to play a neutral site game against a Summit League team.

Attendance for this will be dismal.

Would have liked to have seen Iowa State, Marquette, Creighton...someone interesting, as part of the Gophers double header. D3 basketball is not very interesting.

I saw several D3 games last year that were far more interesting than any of the half dozen Gopher games I also was at.

Having said that, St Thomas/UW-RF in front of over 65,000 purple seats, eh not so much.

I saw several D3 games last year that were far more interesting than any of the half dozen Gopher games I also was at.

Having said that, St Thomas/UW-RF in front of over 65,000 purple seats, eh not so much.

More interesting meaning the score was closer? Because if you want to see close games, come check out my noon ball games. Usually within a score or two!

I went to two D3 games last year. I saw St John's destroy Augsburg @ SJU. Boring game, concessions were cheap though. Then I saw Augsburg beat St John's in a similarly boring game. Concessions were again cheap though.

Pretty lame undercard, but about what I was expecting. Friday night gives me a much better chance at getting to the game, but I haven't seen anything about the price other than $35 for a "tailgate" in the Delta Sky section. I can see the Saturday games helping the teams playing in them get a few bodies to the Twin Cities.

More interesting meaning the score was closer? Because if you want to see close games, come check out my noon ball games. Usually within a score or two!

I went to two D3 games last year. I saw St John's destroy Augsburg @ SJU. Boring game, concessions were cheap though. Then I saw Augsburg beat St John's in a similarly boring game. Concessions were again cheap though.

It was not just because the score of the games were closer. After Lynch and Coffey were out, the atmosphere at the Barn was just dead. There was far more intensity from the players and much more engaged student sections for the games in Northfield I saw, especially when St Olaf and Carleton played each other.

Cross off UC-Irvine as a potential home opponent. ...

in the Vancouver Showcase. Anteaters have released their non-conference schedule, and they'll play @ Santa Clara & @ Texas A&M. Interestingly, UCI will be the only home game for Santa Clara (a host school with the Gophers) as part of the Showcase. Usually host teams play 2.

UCI would've been a decent opponent for Gophers. Finished #118 in RPI last season and are one of the favorites in the Big West along with UC-Davis, UCSB, and Cal State-Fullerton.

I like how this schedule is setting up so far. Need to see what the other 5 games are before giving a final grade, but so far I'd give it an A-

Iona appears to be a distinct possibility

. ... as one of the Gophers' two home opponents for the Vancouver Showcase. That would be a solid schedule add for the Gophers. Gaels were #108 in RPI last season, 3-time defending MAAC Tournament champions, and one of the 3 MAAC favorites this season (along with Rider and Canisius). Gaels would likely be a Quadrant-3 (top 160) opponent, perhaps even a Q2 (top 75).

. ... as one of the Gophers' two home opponents for the Vancouver Showcase. That would be a solid schedule add for the Gophers. Gaels were #108 in RPI last season, 3-time defending MAAC Tournament champions, and one of the 3 MAAC favorites this season (along with Rider and Canisius). Gaels would likely be a Quadrant-3 (top 160) opponent, perhaps even a Q2 (top 75).
I'd take that for an opponent, Iona always seems right there. Might as well schedule St Mary's too, get all the Gaels on our schedule.

I'd take that for an opponent, Iona always seems right there. Might as well schedule St Mary's too, get all the Gaels on our schedule.

The other decent possibilities for the Vancouver Showcase appear to be Belmont, East Tennessee State, Furman, Lipscomb, Murray State, NC-Greensboro, Rider, and South Dakota State. Getting any 2 of those as visiting teams would be fantastic for an exempt tournament. More likely scenario is Gophers will get 1 decent opponent (Q2/Q3), and 1 awful one (Q4).

The other decent possibilities for the Vancouver Showcase appear to be Belmont, East Tennessee State, Furman, Lipscomb, Murray State, NC-Greensboro, Rider, and South Dakota State. Getting any 2 of those as visiting teams would be fantastic for an exempt tournament. More likely scenario is Gophers will get 1 decent opponent (Q2/Q3), and 1 awful one (Q4).

It would be fun to see the gophers play South Dakota St and Mike Daum. I would imagine they're going to be the favorites in Summit with Daum and their returning pieces. They had a pretty good freshman PG from last year whose name is escaping me at the moment.

Selection, does this appear to be the strongest schedule, on paper, the gophers have put together in Pitino's tenure as head coach?

Ahmad Gilbert is going to take them to the next level.

Selection, does this appear to be the strongest schedule, on paper, the gophers have put together in Pitino's tenure as head coach?

Too early to tell. We only know 6 of the 11 opponents (5 + Washington or Santa Clara).

I think the non-conference schedule in 2016-17 was Pitino's best. Played 4 NCAA qualifiers (Arkansas, Florida State, Mount Saint Mary's, Vanderbilt), and also had top-150 opponents Arkansas State (113), Louisiana (114), Southern Illinois (147), and Saint John's (148). Last season's was really good at the top, but the rest of it pretty much stunk.

Last edited:

Too early to tell. We only know 6 of the 11 opponents (5 + Washington or Santa Clara).

I think the non-conference schedule in 2016-17 was Pitino's best. Played 4 NCAA qualifiers (Arkansas, Florida State, Mount Saint Mary's, Vanderbilt), and also had top-150 opponents Arkansas State (113), Louisiana (114), Southern Illinois (147), and Saint John's (148). Last season's was really good at the top, but the rest of it pretty much stunk.
UT Arlington was pretty good too

According to the listings for BTN on their website, the conference schedule release show will be next Tuesday the 21st at 2:00 central.

South Alabama another Vancouver Showcase potential opponent

The Jaguars finished 12-18, 7-11 (Sun Belt) with a RPI of #270 last season.

Top Bottom