What We Know About Gophers Schedule

Updated Gophers Non-Conference Schedule

Assuming Iona is 1 of the 2 Vancouver Showcase home opponents, 2 games are unaccounted for.

Nov. 12: #58 UTAH (Q2)
Nov. 18 vs. #29 Texas A&M (Q1) (Vancouver Showcase)
Nov. 20 vs. #71 Washington (Q2)/#265 Santa Clara (Q4) (Vancouver Showcase)
Nov. 26: @ #95 Boston College (Q2)
Nov. 30: vs. #90 Oklahoma State (Q2) (Minneapolis)
Dec. 8: #291 ARKANSAS STATE (Q4)
Dec. 11: #218 NORTH FLORIDA (Q4)
Dec. 30: #225 MOUNT SAINT MARY'S (Q4)

Date TBD: #108 IONA (Q3) (Vancouver Showcase)
Date TBD: TBD (Vancouver Showcase)

Last edited:

I see that the Women's opener is Friday 11/9. Does this pretty much mean the men won't have a game that night or would they do a double-header? Considering coming to the football game on the 10th and it sure would be nice if they would release the schedule already.

I see that the Women's opener is Friday 11/9. Does this pretty much mean the men won't have a game that night or would they do a double-header? Considering coming to the football game on the 10th and it sure would be nice if they would release the schedule already.

My guess is one of the Vancouver Showcase home games on Thursday, December 8.

Be nice to get one more top 150 to close it out. If SouthBama is the worst team on our schedule I'll take it. I feel like Arkansas State usually better than 291. Weren't they in the dance three years ago?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Be nice to get one more top 150 to close it out. If SouthBama is the worst team on our schedule I'll take it. I feel like Arkansas State usually better than 291. Weren't they in the dance three years ago?

With Washington game not assured, I think the NC schedule is just a tad light. I'd feel better with one more Q2. I know Pitino won't schedule it, but South Dakota State or someone of SDSU's ilk (Murray State, NC-Greensboro, Rider) would fit just perfectly as the final piece of this schedule.

Last edited:

Gophers will host Mount Saint Mary's on Dec. 30.

They won't be as good as they were two seasons ago. They've lost a ton of transfers over the last 2 seasons. Their head coach just left for Siena and they lost their best 2 players to graduation. My guess is they'll probably be around 250 in the RPI if we're lucky. I'm just hoping that RPI doesn't reach the 300's.

Hopefully Arkansas State has a bounce back year like 2 seasons ago. These 2 games have me pretty worried about having an RPI albatross on the schedule, especially if we have to play Santa Clara. We get Santa Clara we're pretty much assured of 4 Q4 games already. And the biggest problem is it's doubtful they'll be all that close to a Q3 game.

Gophers open the season Nov 1st with an exhibition against UMD

With Washington game not assured, I think the NC schedule is just a tad light.

The NC schedule includes 4 (or 5) power conference teams out of 11 games. Iona has won 20 or more games 9 seasons in a row and has made the NCAA tournament 5 of the last 7 years. Doesn't seem so light to me.

The NC schedule includes 4 (or 5) power conference teams out of 11 games. Iona has won 20 or more games 9 seasons in a row and has made the NCAA tournament 5 of the last 7 years. Doesn't seem so light to me.

It’s not going to wow anybody but it’s also not a bunch of cupcakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not going to wow anybody but it’s also not a bunch of cupcakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this assessment. Assuming Iona or someone of similar ilk is on it to add to the assured 4 Power 6 opponents, it’s OK, somewhere in the middle. Getting a shot at Washington would put it above average, relative to other Power 6 programs. Playing Santa Clara would drag it down significantly.

Last edited:

We only play 2 teams that made the NCAA tournament last year. It’s average to below average depending on what happens with the Washington/Santa Clara draw.

Gophers first 2 Big Ten games, per Jon Rothstein

Date TBD (likely Dec. 2 or 3): @ Ohio State

Dec. 5: Nebraska

We only play 2 teams that made the NCAA tournament last year. It’s average to below average depending on what happens with the Washington/Santa Clara draw.
What they did last year isn't what they will be this year.

South Alabama won't be part of Vancouver Showcase

Drop USA off the list as a potential Gophers opponent for the Vancouver Showcase.

The dwindling list of Gophers potential home opponents for Vancouver Showcase

Gophers will host 2 out of this group. NC-Greensboro, Iona, and Texas Southern were NCAA qualifiers last season.

(with last year's RPI)

#65 NC-Greensboro
#81 Belmont
#92 East Tennessee State
#97 Furman
#108 Iona
#109 Wagner
#173 Mercer
#192 Louisiana Tech
#214 Lehigh
#222 Texas Southern
#226 Princeton
#233 Delaware
#251 Saint Peter's
#285 Omaha
#302 Western Illinois
#306 UT-Martin
#311 Lafayette
#333 Alabama State
#338 Maine
#345 Houston Baptist
#346 Maryland-Eastern Shore

Last edited:

Should be a nice cupcake, guessing not a Vancouver exemption game

Marcus isn't sure if it's one of the Vancouver exemption games. He thinks it's likely, but because of the date (12 days prior to games in Vancouver) I'm not so sure of that.

Marcus isn't sure if it's one of the Vancouver exemption games. He thinks it's likely, but because of the date (12 days prior to games in Vancouver) I'm not so sure of that.
That and usually season openers aren't. Hoping for Iona and Belmont

We need to fill out the schedule with a couple respected mid majors. And the A&M game is the most important part of our OOC schedule. This is starting to look like it could be as bad as last year's turned out to be.

We need to fill out the schedule with a couple respected mid majors. And the A&M game is the most important part of our OOC schedule. This is starting to look like it could be as bad as last year's turned out to be.
Keep in mind we take two creampuffs away and replace them with conference games, but I agree we need a couple of Q2 or Q3 games

Comparing last year's non-conference schedule to this year

2017-18 Totals
Quad 1 (4): #28 Miami-Florida, @ #30 Arkansas, @ #31 Providence, vs. #42 Alabama
Quad 2 (0)
Quad 3 (1): #116 Harvard
Quad 4 (8): #162 Niagara, #167 Drake, #215 Western Carolina, vs. #238 UMass, #255 Oral Roberts, #275 FAU, #344 SC-Upstate, #350 Alabama A&M

NCAA Qualifiers (4): Alabama, Arkansas, Miami, Providence

Average Q-Rank: 3.0
Average RPI Rank:173.307

2018-19 Totals (So far)
Quad 1 (1): vs. #29 Texas A&M
Quad 2 (3): #58 Utah, vs. #90 Oklahoma State, @ #95 Boston College
Quad 3 (0)
Quad 4 (4): #218 North Florida, #225 Mount Saint Mary's, #285 Omaha, #291 Arkansas State

TBD Opponents (3) -- #108 Iona rumored for Vancouver Showcase but not confirmed
NCAA Qualifiers: TBD

Average Q-Rank: 2.875
Average RPI Rank: 161.375

Better: Oklahoma State, Boston College, Omaha, Arkansas State

Worse: Texas A&M, Utah, North Florida, Mount Saint Mary's

Last edited:

Top Bottom