Malcolm Robinson named “Nekton of the Week”!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Malcolm was on the travel roster and listed on the weekly depth chart last year. A guy PJ said could have helped last year. Another redshirt freshman who isn't totally raw. With fifth year senior Moore, fifth year junior Bama transfer OJ Smith, fourth year junior juco Royal Silver, 2017 DE starter moved inside Umlor, redshirt frosh Hickcox (a Fleck favorite), and highly recruited frosh Teague, there are the makings of a very nice seven man competition to crak the three deep at defensive tackle. Maybe more if walk-ons emerge.

Malcolm was on the travel roster and listed on the weekly depth chart last year. A guy PJ said could have helped last year. Another redshirt freshman who isn't totally raw. With fifth year senior Moore, fifth year junior Bama transfer OJ Smith, fourth year junior juco Royal Silver, 2017 DE starter moved inside Umlor, redshirt frosh Hickcox (a Fleck favorite), and highly recruited frosh Teague, there are the makings of a very nice seven man competition to crak the three deep at defensive tackle. Maybe more if walk-ons emerge.

LOL - he's never played in an actual college football game.

LOL - he's never played in an actual college football game.

swingman likes to count the number of years a guy has hung around the program, regardless if he has contributed on the field, as being a worthwhile statistic. That is his opinion, which he is entitled of course.

That guy's forearms might be stronger than my entire body....

It's starting to feel like everyone buried on the depth chart will eventually get a Nekton of the Week award. #ParticipationTrophiesBlow

swingman likes to count the number of years a guy has hung around the program, regardless if he has contributed on the field, as being a worthwhile statistic. That is his opinion, which he is entitled of course.

It absolutely is a worthwhile statistic.

I would never consider Malcolm Robinson experienced or anything, but experience and age matter.

There are tons of examples of players who couldn't/didn't contribute in their first three years in a program who ended up contributing quite a bit a later. It's the reason why attrition stinks. It almost always stinks.

It absolutely is a worthwhile statistic.

I would never consider Malcolm Robinson experienced or anything, but experience and age matter.

There are tons of examples of players who couldn't/didn't contribute in their first three years in a program who ended up contributing quite a bit a later. It's the reason why attrition stinks. It almost always stinks.

100% agree that attrition is usually bad, but that wasn't what stirred the comment.

Swingman's comment was that Robinson is "another redshirt freshman who isn't totally raw." Hopefully Robinson contributes this year and has a great career, but he's as raw as any redshirt freshman can be.

100% agree that attrition is usually bad, but that wasn't what stirred the comment.

Swingman's comment was that Robinson is "another redshirt freshman who isn't totally raw." Hopefully Robinson contributes this year and has a great career, but he's as raw as any redshirt freshman can be.

I completely agree.

I disagree with Swingman's point that a RS FR is "another redshirt FR who isn't totally raw".

If you get production out of a FR (RS or otherwise), it's a bonus.

I hope people keep that in mind when judging some of these new recruits (Bateman, Faalele, Dunlap) and the QBs. I think there is a good chance that Tanner Morgan and/or Zach Annexstand are decent/good Big 10 QBs, I don't think they will be next season. That's not a rip on them at all, it's just an illustration of the point we seem to agree.

I think the new redshirt rule will change the perception of redshirts within a program. If he had played 2-3 games last year, even just a dozen snaps in each, it could be nice to know he is coming back but didn't burn a year of eligibility.

A redshirt freshman who hasn't played is only better than a freshman because they are a year older, been around the program, practiced, worked out, etc. I hope he is great as well.

I completely agree.

I disagree with Swingman's point that a RS FR is "another redshirt FR who isn't totally raw".

If you get production out of a FR (RS or otherwise), it's a bonus.

I hope people keep that in mind when judging some of these new recruits (Bateman, Faalele, Dunlap) and the QBs. I think there is a good chance that Tanner Morgan and/or Zach Annexstand are decent/good Big 10 QBs, I don't think they will be next season. That's not a rip on them at all, it's just an illustration of the point we seem to agree.

Hageman is one of the best examples of this. He basically did nothing his first 3 years and was viewed by some as a bust. He then became one of our better D-tackles of all-time.

A redshirt freshman who wasn't on the travel squad would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman who the coach didn't say would have to play as a true frosh, as PJ said about Malcolm last August/Sept, would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman who the coach didn't have on the two-deep, presumably not taking reps with the game week defense but running Scout team opponent reps, would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman that didn't come in with the size that Malcolm and needed to gain a lot of weight would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman that didn't play for Massillon, one of the highest regarded programs in the nation, would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman who hasn't had the great offseason weight room work as Malcolm would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman who the coach didn't say would have to play as a true frosh, as PJ said about Malcolm last August/Sept, would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman who the coach didn't have on the two-deep, presumably not taking reps with the game week defense but running Scout team opponent reps, would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman that didn't come in with the size that Malcolm and needed to gain a lot of weight would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman that didn't play for Massillon, one of the highest regarded programs in the nation, would be more raw.

A redshirt freshman who hasn't had the great offseason weight room work as Malcolm would be more raw.

picard-facepalm.jpg

"Watch as the jellyfish stocks his prey.......(15 minutes later). Success! Plankton is one of the jellyfish's favorite meals."

I wouldn't mind replacing shark week with jellyfish week considering the masculine over tones of shark week, but I suspect those super smart internet types would see right through my political adjenda....

I guess you're total full of ****e, and we will treat you that way. Nice trolling, trolling, troll. We no like you, and ban you to MLAS. Bye.

I guess you're total full of ****e, and we will treat you that way. Nice trolling, trolling, troll. We no like you, and ban you to MLAS. Bye.

What's with this "we" stuff...

I didn't think Swings take was all that bad, there are some valid points. On the other hand a freshman who has not seen the field is going to be a bigger unknown. I think we could all agree that we need practices to start so we actually have something to talk about. Right now it's like a bunch of hangry teenagers who missed lunch around here!

I didn't think Swings take was all that bad, there are some valid points. On the other hand a freshman who has not seen the field is going to be a bigger unknown. I think we could all agree that we need practices to start so we actually have something to talk about. Right now it's like a bunch of hangry teenagers who missed lunch around here!

swingman’s post are not takes. They are a long running bit.

I appreciate your passion and optimism.

And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with simply leaving it at: we can agree to disagree. Cheers!

Top Bottom