PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 7-22-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the WCCO Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max.

(shorty's note - either I'm slowing down, or PJ is talking faster. almost impossible to keep up with. wish I could take shorthand, or was a court reporter.....)

Sid: Media day. what's that all about?
PJ: excited. get to represent the U of MN. Kick off the season. FB is right around the corner. bringing some incredible players and incredible people to represent our state.

Sid: when can you meet with players?
PJ: it's very limited in summer, due to NCAA rules. Training camp - report date July 31. that's when we kick it and go. the coaches are in the office getting training camp prepared.

Sid: when can you meet with QBs. Have you got some idea what you think about QB's. will they be adequate?
PJ: Zach and Tanner are both better. Tanner is definitely better that he was a year ago. Zach is better than when he first arrived on campus. We have a very young FB team. Just like Phil Steele said. We're 128 out of 130 teams. that's all teams - Group of 5 and Power 5. we're the 3rd-youngest team in America. It's like I said when I was hired - in year 2, we'd be younger. still rely on JRs and SR's to lead. this year, fans will see what the future holds. it's going to be a lot of fun. it's a journey. exciting. fans will get to see new players. need older players to lead.

Sid: when can you talk to 2019 recruits again?
PJ: big weekend coming up. "hyprr hangout." get players who have committed to us on campus. we've got another camp coming up before our training camp. lot of recruiting still to do. a few more spots to fill. we may hold onto those. really dive into who we need. we feel good about where we're at. going to be a very strong class. add to the guys who are already on the team.

Mona: what about Sapp's health?
PJ: hope he's healthy. if he stays healthy, he can be a special FB player.

Max: I saw him at Eden Prairie. he looked good
PJ: he's got to put the work in to stay healthy. proud of his progress. he's got that never-quit attitude. he's a guy who really rows the boat - keeps an oar in the water.

Mona: Dunlap and Faalele - will they play on the same side of the line?
PJ: That will be a strategy (on red-shirting) based on who we want to play. With the new Red-shirt rule, we could dip into that a lot this year. it's a big rule change. we have so many RS FR, so many young players. have to make decision (about players) if I want to RS this year. last year took 7 OL recruits. got to revamp our OL for the future. those players are connecting at a high level. Coach Callahan is doing a great job. some decisions I'm going to make (about red-shirting) will affect us for the long-term and also for this season. what I decide may be not popular right now, but may be down the road.

Sid: will last year's redshirts help you this year?
PJ: there are a lot of guys who RS last year that I'm excited about, and some true FR I'm excited about. with the 9 to 11 SR's we have, we're going to rely on them for leadership.

Mona: can Femi-Cole be your short-yardage back?
PJ: Rodney Smith will play. We can count on him. Shannon won't be healthy until the end of the year. we might be able to use the RS rule for him. Then we have Edmonds - Ibrahim - Williams - Femi-Cole. we'll see how that all pans out. we're very youthful at RB, very youthful up front. very youthful at QB. but youth doesn't last. eventually they get older.

Sid: what about some of the transfers on this team?
PJ: We don't have a lot of them. everyone has the opportunity to play.

Max: what is the most difficult position to learn for a young player?
PJ: definitely OL. it's difficult to go up there and play. last year with Blaise Andries, we could have used him. But we have to think long term. now we have him for 4 seasons. It's a young crew -take the guys we have in the program now, and we'll add to that with the '19 class. we'll have a really good line down the road. It's difficult for FR or RS FR to walk in there and play. there's a strength factor. when you have young players on the OL or DL, they lack "grown man" strength. that's the difference between someone at age 19 and at 21. it's a race to maturity. we need our young players to play the best they can. we know the strength factor is not going to be there yet

Sid: ever had a squad with so few Seniors?
PJ: it's similar to our 2nd year at WMU. But, playing so many young players in the MAC is different than doing that in the B1G. different strength and size of league we're in, in the B1G. it's similar to how we rebuilt WMU. played young players, but still need SR and JR to lead the way. players will grow up with time.

Mona: Bateman. what do you like?
PJ: He's one of the best people you'll ever meet. his personality is infectious. talented. a true WR. (at WMU) Corey Davis played as true FR. With Bateman, you're going to be excited about the type of person he is. he's a connector - he brings people together. explosive - can really run. had 3 B1G basketball offers. still, we haven't watched him play FB with us, yet. Once training camp starts, then coaches can get their hands on players full time

Sid: Winfield, Cashman, Barber healthy. how much difference does that make?
PJ: Like to be able to clone every one of them. we don't have enough depth. we do have some depth. it's year 2. we didn't have much depth last year. we've got to fill the roster with prospects to create multiple Winfields, Barbers, etc. we started completely over. whether people agree with that or not. we started over. we do it our way. the way I know how to do it.

Sid: great ticket packages. Murray's Certificate.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Thanks Son. Very much appreciated. I would think Fleck would realize that he needs to slow down when talking. Does he talk to his team this way, recruits etc.? Is everyone hearing and understanding the message? I'm guessing now as the brain can't process speech that fast continually. I don't hear Fleck speak on the radio so I may be out of line as to what I just said.

I read through the post slowly SON, as to not get ahead of you. Great job and thank you!

Gotta kick out of the 9-11 senior comment. It's like Fleck reads the pissing matches on here. We don't have a lot of seniors but at least the ones we have should contribute.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I thought the most interesting comment - one I have not heard before - was the idea that Shannon Brooks could potentially play in a few games late in the season if he is cleared to play - as a result of the new '4-game' rule. The thought of having a healthy - and rested - Shannon Brooks able to play down the stretch is intriguing.

And, in a less serious vein - the shout-out to Phil Steele made me smile. I can see that quote in a future Phil Steele yearbook. ("Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck reads Phil Steele....!")

I thought the most interesting comment - one I have not heard before - was the idea that Shannon Brooks could potentially play in a few games late in the season if he is cleared to play - as a result of the new '4-game' rule. The thought of having a healthy - and rested - Shannon Brooks able to play down the stretch is intriguing.

And, in a less serious vein - the shout-out to Phil Steele made me smile. I can see that quote in a future Phil Steele yearbook. ("Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck reads Phil Steele....!")

That's what jumped out to me also. Hadn't heard that suggested or even that it was being considered. Fleck has mentioned before that he thought that new 4-game Redshirt rule was a great idea. Not surprisingly he referenced it at least twice in the interview.

Thanks for the recap.

Thanks SON, you are doing a great job! Maybe Fleck just had more coffee or something. Next time I see him I'll ask him to speak slower for you ;)

I wonder what decisions he’s talking about with the OL that he thinks won’t be popular??

Maybe it’s NOT playing Dunlap and Faalele this year?? Seemed to be staying over and over that it’s tough for young OL to come in and play.

Great job, shorty. A lot jumped out at me in the interview and I like it!

I wonder what decisions he’s talking about with the OL that he thinks won’t be popular??

Maybe it’s NOT playing Dunlap and Faalele this year?? Seemed to be staying over and over that it’s tough for young OL to come in and play.

I'd place my bet on this. They have the size to play right now I think, but maybe their technique isn't there yet and so he'd rather have them redshirt a year to work on it.

If the older guys get the job done on the OL there should be absolutely no complaints. They can play in 4 games anyway. OTOH, if our line plays like last year...

It's not strength, with Faelele and Dunlap that will be an issuse those two have size and strength in spades. It is footwork, and hand position consistency and communication. The non verbal communication, having the calls down and being in the correct position, thi the learning curve that the younger guys struggle with. At the end of the day those that give ream the best chance to win will play. The best talent rises to the top usually.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

It's not strength, with Faelele and Dunlap that will be an issuse those two have size and strength in spades. It is footwork, and hand position consistency and communication. The non verbal communication, having the calls down and being in the correct position, thi the learning curve that the younger guys struggle with. At the end of the day those that give ream the best chance to win will play. The best talent rises to the top usually.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Conditioning might be bigger issue.

I agree that those two are very gifted physically, but also that there is a ton of technique work, blocking assignment learning, and we all communication that goes into playing OL in college which is usually not as much done in high school. It’s a tough position!

Considering they kept the redshirt on Andries all of last season with even less depth than they will have this season, I fully expect them to try and redshirt both Dunlap and Faalele

Did PJ say there's a chance Brooks could play by the end of the year? I thought he was out for the season??

Considering they kept the redshirt on Andries all of last season with even less depth than they will have this season, I fully expect them to try and redshirt both Dunlap and Faalele

Last season Fleck didn't give a damn whether they won or not. Wonder if he feels the same way this season?

Did PJ say there's a chance Brooks could play by the end of the year? I thought he was out for the season??

Yes. This was the best news from the interview.

Love being older than last year at running back with Rodney (maybe Shannon).
Love being older on the o-line with Greene, Weyler, Olson, Schlueter all back.
Good being older at WR with Tyler, Douglas/Howard adding a year each.
Possibly a year older at 7 of 11 starting offense positions.

Moore, Coughlin both a year older. Mixing in a fourth year guy and a fifth year guy in Silver and OJ Smith. Umlor, DeLatti, Devers all older. Should be older/same at all four d-line spots.

Should be older/same at all three linebacker spots Cash, Barber, Martin (Huff).
Kiondre and Shenault a year older...Williamson will be a fourth year junior.
Winfield, Huff both back with another year under their belt.
Should be older or same as last year at 10 of 11 starting defensive positions.

Carpenter with another year helps.

Last season Fleck didn't give a damn whether they won or not. Wonder if he feels the same way this season?

After the Nebraska game, I don't think most Gophers fans would agree. After Illinois, I think a lot of fans felt like we could've just as easily been 7-0 instead of 4-3. Iowa was close, Michigan was a pounding. But Nebraska gave a lot of hope.

Then the last two games left a lot of people really sour ...

Anything can happen with injuries. But I won't be surprised or upset if they get even 4-8 this year. This year is still going to be a lot about getting experience for a really young team, that will have a really young QB.

It's all building to 2019. There has to be serious signs of life (8+ wins) in 2019, or the whole thing will start folding like a house of cards.

Yes. This was the best news from the interview.

Love being older than last year at running back with Rodney (maybe Shannon).
Love being older on the o-line with Greene, Weyler, Olson, Schlueter all back.
Good being older at WR with Tyler, Douglas/Howard adding a year each.
Possibly a year older at 7 of 11 starting offense positions.

Moore, Coughlin both a year older. Mixing in a fourth year guy and a fifth year guy in Silver and OJ Smith. Umlor, DeLatti, Devers all older. Should be older/same at all four d-line spots.

Should be older/same at all three linebacker spots Cash, Barber, Martin (Huff).
Kiondre and Shenault a year older...Williamson will be a fourth year junior.
Winfield, Huff both back with another year under their belt.
Should be older or same as last year at 10 of 11 starting defensive positions.

Carpenter with another year helps.

swingman, it seems to me that simply counting the number of years a guy has been around is a huge deal for you. That's just fine, of course.

But just hanging around the program for X number of years, doesn't do much for me. That's my opinion, for whatever little it's worth ...

The new rule will really help with that this year, they can play in four games, trick will be which four, do you get their feet wet early in non con once or twice and then save the other games for down the stretch when injuries happen, also have to take in consideration the travel roster for road games, I'd imagine if a true frosh travels they'll get in the game

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Under the old redshirt rule I think he sits out the full year no matter what so he gets to play next year. But with the new rule there's a chance he could play a few games at the end of the year if he's healthy enough and still get 2019.

Under the old redshirt rule I think he sits out the full year no matter what so he gets to play next year. But with the new rule there's a chance he could play a few games at the end of the year if he's healthy enough and still get 2019.

Yeah - at least a couple of times, Fleck has said something to the effect that the new rule essentially eliminates the need for a medical redshirt. Under the old rule, if a guy got hurt in pre-season, and wasn't going to be healthy until game #9 or 10, he would sit out the year and you would file for a medical redshirt. Under the new rule, as I understand it, the 'medical' aspect is taken out of the equation. you can play up to 4 games in a season without losing a year of eligibility. doesn't matter why, or what games you play in - you get 4 games.

Yeah - at least a couple of times, Fleck has said something to the effect that the new rule essentially eliminates the need for a medical redshirt. Under the old rule, if a guy got hurt in pre-season, and wasn't going to be healthy until game #9 or 10, he would sit out the year and you would file for a medical redshirt. Under the new rule, as I understand it, the 'medical' aspect is taken out of the equation. you can play up to 4 games in a season without losing a year of eligibility. doesn't matter why, or what games you play in - you get 4 games.

If we get 4, I vote that we save Shannon for Wisconsin game, B1G championship, CFP semi and CFP final. :)

Top Bottom