Media Prediction Thread: Purdue at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hammer & Nails first out of the gate with a very early game prediction:

Game Outlook

To be honest, the only team that seems like more of a mess than Minnesota is Illinois. Neither team really has a quarterback, but at least the Gophers have Brooks and Johnson as weapons. The Illini have… not much. Defensively the Gophers should be respectable, but with a passing game that does little to nothing each game they are in the unenviable position of having to be perfect in order to win.

It certainly looks like a building year for Fleck. He is used to this. His first team at Western Michigan was 1-11, then he suffered the indignity of losing to a Darrell Hazell coached team. He still turned that group around to go 8-5, and he was 29-10 over the next 39 games after losing to Hazell. Coaching in the Big Ten West is a difference animal than the MAC West, but it was still a solid turnaround.

We should expect another youth movement at key spots because the Gophers don’t really have a choice. The schedule is manageable with home games against New Mexico State, Fresno State, and Miami (OH) to start. If they get those can they win three conference games for a bowl? Illinois, Nebraska, Indiana, Maryland, and even Purdue give them a chance.

Way-too-Early Prediction

Last year’s game came down to the wire, as Purdue took a two-point lead before a weather delay, gave up a lengthy field goal drive, then recovered to scored and pick-six Rhoda to seal a 14-point win. The Boilers scored 15 points in the final two minutes to steal the win, and it made a huge difference on the season. This year I think the Boilers can keep moving forward. I think we finally get a win at TCF Bank. Purdue 34, Minnesota 20

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018/7/19/17590362/2018-minnesota-golden-gophers-football-preview

Go Gophers!!

Lol they ain't coming in here and winning by two touchdowns. They have no defense this year. Good luck with that

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Don't know if it was Hammer & Rails or if it was another Purdue site, but in 2015, the week of the game, they predicted a 24 point Purdue win over Minnesota....

Final Score: Minnesota 41, Purdue 13.

Purdue deserves credit for some decent wins/games in 2017: winning at Iowa, winning at Missouri, winning their bowl game over Arizona, close games vs. Wisconsin & Louisville. They also lost to Rutgers & Nebraska.

I say we see another season before anybody starts thinking Purdue can go on the road & win a Big Ten game by 2 TD's over a similar level program...

It's way too early to give this anything more than a passing glance. We know very little about our team at this point, particularly at the QB position. I'd argue the same for Purdue's defense. By the time the game rolls around I wouldn't be surprised if either team is favored.

Considering the first line says we have Brooks, yeah I quit reading

Considering the first line says we have Brooks, yeah I quit reading

We have Brooks, he just won't be playing.

Perhaps he's as much of a weapon on the sidelines as he is on the field. :clap:

It's way too early to give this anything more than a passing glance. We know very little about our team at this point, particularly at the QB position. I'd argue the same for Purdue's defense. By the time the game rolls around I wouldn't be surprised if either team is favored.

Going in a different direction, this game could be the most important game on the schedule for two reasons.

Reason 1. The last two games are Northwestern and Wisconsin. Assuming that the team didn't quit on Fleck that day, asking our Gophers to be 39 points better than last season. Wisconsin speaks for itself. O and...ah nevermind. I don't see it this year. I'll keep hope alive, but I really don't see it. Let me change the subject. I'm beginning to feel ill.

Reason 2. Pecking order. We need to pass up Purdue for RECRUITING purposes! That is assuming the goal is to eventually have a prayer win a BigTen West title, let alone a BigTen Conference title.

The team should be jacked up for this game for multiple reasons including the two listed above. Too early to call it a must win, but,...who am i kidding. It's a MUST WIN!

Lol they ain't coming in here and winning by two touchdowns. They have no defense this year. Good luck with that

What Gopher team have you been watching that makes you so confidant?

What Gopher team have you been watching that makes you so confidant?
Those efforts vs Purdue and Maryland were deplorable last year, OJ and Co should be ashamed. You really think those clowns are gonna come in here and beat us in our house by two TD's

Those efforts vs Purdue and Maryland were deplorable last year, OJ and Co should be ashamed. You really think those clowns are gonna come in here and beat us in our house by two TD's

I don't see how you can rule it out so easily.

I don't see how you can rule it out so easily.
They might win by a field goal but there not going to kick our ass up and down to field to a two TD win. They have no defense. We can just gash them with Rodney and keep the offense off the field. I would have serious concerns about our coaches in game management if we drop this game by 14 or more

They might win by a field goal but there not going to kick our ass up and down to field to a two TD win. They have no defense. We can just gash them with Rodney and keep the offense off the field. I would have serious concerns about our coaches in game management if we drop this game by 14 or more

They didn’t kick our ass up and down the field last year and still won by two TDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn’t kick our ass up and down the field last year and still won by two TDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were at home and we were winning with a minute left. That and the Maryland game were terribly coached. So if it happens this year, it'll strengthen the argument that Flecks recruiting won't overcome any coaching shortcomings.

Top Bottom