ESPN: Former Mizzou tutor says she'll reveal more academic fraud details

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Yolanda Kumar, the former Missouri tutor who admitted to providing improper academic assistance to multiple athletes in 2016, said she's been named in a new notice of allegations attached to the school's ongoing NCAA academic fraud case.

Kumar tweeted Monday that she intends to "release the full list of students, classes, and coordinators on Twitter" on Wednesday evening at 6:39 p.m. and expose more people who are attached to the investigation.

Via subsequent tweets, Kumar said she "began recording and documenting" her involvement with Missouri athletics prior to the 2014-15 school year to protect herself.

In response to Kumar's tweets, Missouri released a statement on Monday that said the school had met with the Committee on Infractions last month and expected to emerge from its ongoing academic fraud case intact after proving it has acted with "integrity" in response to the allegations.

"On June 13, 2018, the University appeared before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions to review its investigative findings, and the Committee has since added a previously unnamed involved party and given notice of the Committee's allegation to that individual," the statement said. "While the University may not disclose the names of any involved student due to FERPA, we remain confident that this review will reveal that the University, as well as its student-athletes and staff, have shown great integrity in responding to the allegations raised. In order to protect the investigation's integrity and in accordance with NCAA rules relative to ongoing investigations, we are unable to comment further any part of the process until it is completed."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...tutor-says-reveal-more-academic-fraud-details

Go Gophers!!

Mizzou: We will employ the UNC defense: it's not just our athletes that commit academic fraud it's all students, so all's good.
NCAA: Ok we'll see you later

Mizzou: We will employ the UNC defense: it's not just our athletes that commit academic fraud it's all students, so all's good.

The problem is Mizzou isn't UNC and doesn't benefit the NCAA financially as much so good luck with that defense.

per ESPN:

Yolanda Kumar, the former Missouri tutor who admitted to providing improper academic assistance to multiple athletes in 2016, said she's been named in a new notice of allegations attached to the school's ongoing NCAA academic fraud case.

Kumar tweeted Monday that she intends to "release the full list of students, classes, and coordinators on Twitter" on Wednesday evening at 6:39 p.m. and expose more people who are attached to the investigation.

Via subsequent tweets, Kumar said she "began recording and documenting" her involvement with Missouri athletics prior to the 2014-15 school year to protect herself.

In response to Kumar's tweets, Missouri released a statement on Monday that said the school had met with the Committee on Infractions last month and expected to emerge from its ongoing academic fraud case intact after proving it has acted with "integrity" in response to the allegations.

"On June 13, 2018, the University appeared before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions to review its investigative findings, and the Committee has since added a previously unnamed involved party and given notice of the Committee's allegation to that individual," the statement said. "While the University may not disclose the names of any involved student due to FERPA, we remain confident that this review will reveal that the University, as well as its student-athletes and staff, have shown great integrity in responding to the allegations raised. In order to protect the investigation's integrity and in accordance with NCAA rules relative to ongoing investigations, we are unable to comment further any part of the process until it is completed."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...tutor-says-reveal-more-academic-fraud-details

Go Gophers!!

Yet another example. Excuses are for losers.

Level playing field.

All we had to do was find one regular student to say Jan Gangelhoff wrote a paper for him. Who knew?

If Mizzou emerges unpunished, at some point we have to consider just putting our banners back up, right? Should have been done already, after UNC.

If Mizzou emerges unpunished, at some point we have to consider just putting our banners back up, right? Should have been done already, after UNC.

Only if it comes out she a paper on the menstrual cycle for a player.

Hey. North Carolina engaged in some of the worst academic fraud in NCAA history - and got away with it. They wrote the playbook for every other school that faces similar accusations. If you see North Carolina pull this off and skate, what are you going to do? Fall on your sword? confess everything? hell, no. You are going to lie, obfuscate and shovel as much s**t as you can, and hope you get lucky.

Under the new NCAA paradigm, only the truly stupid or the truly honest will be punished - because they were too stupid to come up with a plausible excuse, or too honest to lie.

Quick prediction - when all is said and done, the Tutor at Missouri will wind up in more trouble than the school's athletic department. We don't want the truth. the truth is inconvenient.

Hey. North Carolina engaged in some of the worst academic fraud in NCAA history - and got away with it. They wrote the playbook for every other school that faces similar accusations. If you see North Carolina pull this off and skate, what are you going to do? Fall on your sword? confess everything? hell, no. You are going to lie, obfuscate and shovel as much s**t as you can, and hope you get lucky.

Under the new NCAA paradigm, only the truly stupid or the truly honest will be punished - because they were too stupid to come up with a plausible excuse, or too honest to lie.

Quick prediction - when all is said and done, the Tutor at Missouri will wind up in more trouble than the school's athletic department. We don't want the truth. the truth is inconvenient.

#excusesrforlosers

Agree about the tutor. Mizzu probably won’t skate because they are not a blue blood brand in any sport..........unless you count bass fishing.

The sad part is that as much as everyone gives the NCAA crap, UNC got away with it because what they did is not unique at all in higher education these days. It is a big joke that for the most part everyone laughs off as part of the big scam that is college these days. The ironic part is that people actually cared this time because athletes were involved. But to think that you can't go, as a regular student, to just about any college with a liberal arts department and take some joke social equity classes, then you are kidding yourself. If you can articulate why white men are bad at least a 3rd grade level, Congrats! You get an A.

The sad part is that as much as everyone gives the NCAA crap, UNC got away with it because what they did is not unique at all in higher education these days. It is a big joke that for the most part everyone laughs off as part of the big scam that is college these days. The ironic part is that people actually cared this time because athletes were involved. But to think that you can't go, as a regular student, to just about any college with a liberal arts department and take some joke social equity classes, then you are kidding yourself. If you can articulate why white men are bad at least a 3rd grade level, Congrats! You get an A.

you are usually the voice of reason. this time......not so much.

you are usually the voice of reason. this time......not so much.

I suppose the merits of such classes could be debated, but they are accessible everywhere.

If this academic behavior was specific to UNC, you would think their accreditation would be at issue, yet oddly it is not.

I suppose the merits of such classes could be debated, but they are accessible everywhere.

If this academic behavior was specific to UNC, you would think their accreditation would be at issue, yet oddly it is not.

I agree that the behavior isn't specific to UNC. But, they're the ones tht got caught. But, their basketball program has them firmly in very exclusive "too big to fail," group.

If they lose their accreditation, they couldn't compete in athletically either I'm guessing. That's probably why that hasn't happened. There is no doubt in my mind that, all things being equal, anyone outside of that group would pay dearly for what UNC got away with.

It'll be interesting to see how the NCAA reacts to Missouri. Theyll get a lot of questions if they throw the book at them. But, they also have to set a precedent of enforcement eventually as well. I think it'll be somewhere in between, and tbeyll get a light punishment.

I agree that the behavior isn't specific to UNC. But, they're the ones tht got caught. But, their basketball program has them firmly in very exclusive "too big to fail," group.

If they lose their accreditation, they couldn't compete in athletically either I'm guessing. That's probably why that hasn't happened. There is no doubt in my mind that, all things being equal, anyone outside of that group would pay dearly for what UNC got away with.

It'll be interesting to see how the NCAA reacts to Missouri. Theyll get a lot of questions if they throw the book at them. But, they also have to set a precedent of enforcement eventually as well. I think it'll be somewhere in between, and tbeyll get a light punishment.

It's not so much that the poor behavior isn't specific to UNC, it's that faux-social science majors are incredibly common at all campuses around the country for athletes and non-athletes alike. UNC took advantage of an extremely common thing. There is a massive political element to the loophole that UNC exploited.

If what UNC did was awful, that would put all of these insane majors under a microscope. Nobody, in the academia wants that.

I am not defending UNC. I am just saying the problem is much bigger than them. It is still going on at most institutions of higher education, some athletes some not. Same thing going on at the U. If colleges are going to have essentially fake classes that serve virtually only political ends, it is pretty tough for the NCAA to say that athletes can't take those classes, but the regular students can?

The issue for debate is “institutional control”.

At what point is it the university’s fault, if no cover up was attempted by administration, for a rouge actor (like a single professor or a single tutor) to do something against the rules and never tell anyone?

I'm morbidly curious to see whether: 1) Missouri uses the UNC strategy (fight tooth and nail, obfuscate, etc.) and, if they do 2) whether the NCAA will give them the same treatment they gave to North Carolina. I personally hope they do go the UNC route, just to test the NCAA's response to it.

I'm morbidly curious to see whether: 1) Missouri uses the UNC strategy (fight tooth and nail, obfuscate, etc.) and, if they do 2) whether the NCAA will give them the same treatment they gave to North Carolina. I personally hope they do go the UNC route, just to test the NCAA's response to it.

Mizzou cannot afford to jeopardize its educational integrity and the UNC route would do just that. naw, MU-C will meet with the NCAA behind closed doors and come to an agreement that will leave Mizzou pretty much unscathed.

Mizzou cannot afford to jeopardize its educational integrity and the UNC route would do just that. naw, MU-C will meet with the NCAA behind closed doors and come to an agreement that will leave Mizzou pretty much unscathed.

excuses are for losers.

level playing field.

It was. They put UNC's accreditation on probation for 1 year. After they showed they addressed this issue (they probably have other issues not addressed) then they got taken off of probation.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2015/06/12/accrediting-body-places-unc-probation

Edit: Mind you the punishment (1 year probation) did not fit the crime (20 years of fake classes). On another note. do you even know college anymore? Your 2nd post seemed to ream into academic institutions without really knowing what the true problems are(and they do exist)?

It was. They put UNC's accreditation on probation for 1 year. After they showed they addressed this issue (they probably have other issues not addressed) then they got taken off of probation.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2015/06/12/accrediting-body-places-unc-probation

Edit: Mind you the punishment (1 year probation) did not fit the crime (20 years of fake classes). On another note. do you even know college anymore? Your 2nd post seemed to ream into academic institutions without really knowing what the true problems are(and they do exist)?

I'd be curious to know your opinion on what you feel would have been a fair punishment for UNC, with respect to the academic/accreditation side?

I'm not exactly sure what it would mean to lose accreditation for a period of time, but I have a feeling that the school might no longer be able to award degrees? So for example, how could it possibly be fair that a student at the UNC medical school who had busted rear end for four years would no longer be able to graduate, because a rouge professor in a Liberal Arts dept allowed some students to take a fake course?

And I'm sure a million examples and counter-examples could be concocted.

What do you think?

"Do you even know college anymore?"

I think I know college, do you know college?

Top Bottom