Intangibles why Gophers will do better than many predict

swingman

Reaction score
Biggest intangible is it is no longer year zero...last year a lot of time and energy was spent on establishing culture, teaching the kids the elite language, the how and nekton and prefontaine and hyprr and farmers alliance...time spent on the logistics of first row and collared shirt and running at end of quarter...much of that is now ingrained...more time for football now...last season team suffered because of number guys who quit before season and guys who stayed but didn’t really fit or buy in...some coaches too, maybe...a number of players had difficulty with the new standards of discipline, the new standards of giving and serving...it seems now the guys who are here are fully in the boat and are rowing in the same direction

Other intangibles: Super Bowl bump...Fleck and Gophers will capitalize on interactions with Cousins, McAfee/Barstool, Jim Rome, et al...branding, swagger, emotional hyprr lift

New unis and helmets should help get guys and fans psyched and hyper

New facility is done...just being done makes things smoother and more focused

Facility offers better recovery and rehab

Facility offers better strength training

Facility offers better video, game prep space

Facility has better practice field space

Facility has better nutrition set-up

Facility has better space for staff

Some of best guys were redshirted last year, sat out due to transfer...quick fix, quick solutions was not part of formula. New rule allows more liberal use of true frosh this year and using more true frosh in year two was Fleck modus operandi at WMU

Half of scholarship guys are now Fleck guys

Suspensions deal has been cleared up, EOAA seems to be overreaching less

academics is best ever

practice time moved to mornings is not new thing this year

Coyle has more of his guys and policies in place...tv money is best it’s ever been

some other big ten, ncaa success in Athletic dept should rub off

Empire class, much of it home grown, emerging as team leaders as upperclassmen

Second time through as U of M coaching staff, second time through the Big Ten just a huge learning curve

Some really good Start times should help home game environment

Much of recruiting already done with new early visits...staff can focus on season

We play Iowa well here

This is even more positive than a July ruppertflywheel post.
Did Trump send the Ely Elite over the edge? Is this like a Pete Rose HOF ban, or can we expect hear more from the 280 yard driving 74 year old?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I feel like Swingman needs his own weekly column. Your incessant sunshine and positivity, negativity about our opponent’s rosters and prospects can melt even the most diehard skeptic’s icy demeanor. Perhaps even PJ’s. Sid for a modern age.

Sometimes going full crazy is fun.

jKQeXPS.gif

Biggest intangible is it is no longer year zero...

Second time through as U of M coaching staff, second time through the Big Ten just a huge learning curve

That was some far reaching positivity!
These two statements don’t jive with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggest intangible is it is no longer year zero...last year a lot of time and energy was spent on establishing culture, teaching the kids the elite language, the how and nekton and prefontaine and hyprr and farmers alliance...time spent on the logistics of first row and collared shirt and running at end of quarter...much of that is now ingrained...more time for football now...last season team suffered because of number guys who quit before season and guys who stayed but didn’t really fit or buy in...some coaches too, maybe...a number of players had difficulty with the new standards of discipline, the new standards of giving and serving...it seems now the guys who are here are fully in the boat and are rowing in the same direction

Other intangibles: Super Bowl bump...Fleck and Gophers will capitalize on interactions with Cousins, McAfee/Barstool, Jim Rome, et al...branding, swagger, emotional hyprr lift

Some of best guys were redshirted last year, sat out due to transfer...quick fix, quick solutions was not part of formula. New rule allows more liberal use of true frosh this year and using more true frosh in year two was Fleck modus operandi at WMU

academics is best ever

Coyle has more of his guys and policies in place...tv money is best it’s ever been

Much of recruiting already done with new early visits...staff can focus on season

We play Iowa well here

So your saying no more excuses?

academics is best ever

We play Iowa well here

Quantify it, how many additional wins do these "intangibles" add to the total?

academics is best ever

We play Iowa well here

Wow, when you put it that way I can see it too....I see 12-0 now

I consider myself a die-hard Gopher fan, but you've got me searching for my diploma to make sure I actually graduated from the U and not just imagined it for all these years. Cause my attitude sucks compared to yours.

Quantify it, how many additional wins do these "intangibles" add to the total?

Three. Many people looking for a 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 season. Should be looking for an 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 type year.

We play Iowa in front of a home crowd last year and with some more healthy options at WR...we maybe win that one.

We play Purdue with a healthier line-up and a more flexible red-shirt policy, we maybe win that one. MSU with Croft as starter?

We get a better start time with some fun new unis and no suspensions to deal with and Williamson and OJ eligible, we maybe beat Maryland last year.

Many prognosticators see Gophers as a 5-7 win type program...we established ourselves as an 8-win culture in 2013, 2014, 2016...should be back there or better this year.

Three. Many people looking for a 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 season. Should be looking for an 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 type year.

We play Iowa in front of a home crowd last year and with some more healthy options at WR...we maybe win that one.

We play Purdue with a healthier line-up and a more flexible red-shirt policy, we maybe win that one. MSU with Croft as starter?

We get a better start time with some fun new unis and no suspensions to deal with and Williamson and OJ eligible, we maybe beat Maryland last year.

Many prognosticators see Gophers as a 5-7 win type program...we established ourselves as an 8-win culture in 2013, 2014, 2016...should be back there or better this year.

Bold prediction.

Wow, when you put it that way I can see it too....I see 12-0 now

Not only are we going 12-0 gophers141, we're going to Maryland and Ohio State and Nebraska and Illinois and WISCONSIN!! AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO INDIANAPOLIS TO TAKE BACK THE BIG TEN TITLE!!! YEAH!!!!

Not only are we going 12-0 gophers141, we're going to Maryland and Ohio State and Nebraska and Illinois and WISCONSIN!! AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO INDIANAPOLIS TO TAKE BACK THE BIG TEN TITLE!!! YEAH!!!!

Did you ever see the Chappelle's Show skit making fun of this? Too funny ... look it up on youtube.

"Imma kick down the door to that oval office!! And Imma chop that MF'er desk in half!! BYAAAA!!"

Nice recap. We're on the right track. 12-0? I don't know, would be great. Why predict what games we're going to lose? You've got the wrong mindset if you're predicting what games were going to lose.

:clap:

Still funny

Intangibles? I thought it was “maturity, depth and talent”.

I have to say much of what he wrote makes sense. To wit:

New facility offers better recovery and rehab; strength training; video, game prep space; practice field space; nutrition set-up; and better space for staff. Some of the best guys were redshirted last year. Second time through as U of M coaching staff, second time through the Big Ten just a huge learning curve. Much of recruiting already done with new early visits...staff can focus on season

I don't buy the argument many are making that the new red shirt rule will help us. It will help everyone we play as well.

OK, time for me to be the wet blanket - or the voice of reason.

At this time of year, you get the team previews, and almost every team is brimming with optimism - but they tend to say the same things over and over again.

Had a great off-season - young players looking good - had a big year in the weight room, etc.

Hey - every stinkin' program in the country at least thinks they're working hard. every program thinks they're making gains in the weight room. every program thinks they have young players waiting to emerge.

The real question is this: what can or will make the Gophers stand out from other teams. What can or will allow the Gophers to leapfrog other programs and move up in the conference standings?

Because - if everyone improves by roughly the same margin - you don't gain on your opponent. if your opponent improves by 10%, you have to improve by 20% or 25% to move past them. So, again, what allows the Gophers to make a leap forward.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say O-Line play. The O-line protects the QB. and opens holes for the RB's. So, a marked improvement in O-Line play could potentially make the biggest difference in this year compared to last year. Now, that will require some young players or JUCO's to come through in a big way. But, IF that happens, that could mean the difference between 5 wins and, say, 8 or 9 wins. Or not.

The Gophers will improve with better talent, greater quality of depth and with improved coaching. You need all three. It appears the staff is working on talent and quality of depth but those take time to also yield benefits. A talented freshman while better than a less talented upper classmen may not fair as well against an equally or more talented - and stronger and more experienced - upper classmen.

Game Coaching - schemes, play calling, situational decisions, game planning - must also improve. We won’t know until we see them each week. This team can make competitive progress but not win “9” games and this season could still be a success. In a few years we’ll see if Fleck has built a team with more quality depth, but quality of coaching will be revealed sooner.

Jim Rome, last season's Super Bowl, and the positive halo effect of a 11th place basketball team and a hockey team that missed the tournament. All geared up to get us HYPPR and to Pasadena!

The sweet ether of football fandom in late July...bravo.

Tis the dreaded season for optimism.

Can we just start the real season and get on with it?:banghead:

Tis the dreaded season for optimism.

Can we just start the real season and get on with it?:banghead:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/oGAM2NfiX50ac" width="480" height="341" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-oGAM2NfiX50ac">via GIPHY</a></p>

During the run-up to the Super Bowl, the Gophers felt a boost from the Philadelphia Eagles practicing in their new indoor facility and through other visitors. Free-agent quarterback Kirk Cousins spoke to the team and then with Fleck for an hour and a half about culture and leadership. Southern Cal QB Sam Darnold, who has declared for the NFL draft, worked out with Gophers players on the new indoor practice field and called it one of the best facilities he's been in. Former NFL punter Pat McAfee, who now hosts a show on Barstool Sports, also made appearances, including in Gophers hype videos.

"The great thing is they wanted to visit," Fleck said. "They wanted to spend time with us, they wanted to be able to spend time around our culture and learn more about it, which I thought was really neat. It wasn't, 'I'm coming to work out.' ... Everything that we had happen was very beneficial for the brand of the University of Minnesota that doesn't necessarily always happen if that type of event is not in town."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4400942-no-rest-gophers-football-coach-pj-fleck

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...aks-with-team-Sam-Darnold-works-out-with-team

"I think it's important for the football coach and some higher profile faces of our athletic department to be around other programs," Fleck added. "We want the gymnastics teams to be at our games. We want the gymnastics team to know our football players. Our new facility is able to connect all that. I also connect with a lot of staff members here because you can learn a lot from other sports, journeys and stories. I don't believe in leading a separate program.”

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/3/13/Fleck_Spreading_Energy_Message_Across_Department_.aspx

Big Ten Champs softball, Big Ten Champs baseball, Big Ten Champs women’s track, a NCAA champion for men’s track, record attendance and an all-American for women’s gymnastics, men’s gymnastics national runner up, men’s tennis to sweet 16, gold medal hockey with a lot of Gophers, women’s basketball to round of 32, soccer top two in Big Ten for second year in a row, both cross country were top 25 ranked, swim and dive highly ranked, volleyball continuing as elite in nation, British Open champ? Lot of successful vibes in Gopher athletics.

Other intangibles:

These could not possibly be more tangible. Though I agree that all but the step-backward unis will help.

Top Bottom