ESPN: UNC's Larry Fedora says the game of football is 'under attack'

If we submit this thread for analysis, I suspect a couple of posters might wind up getting evaluated for CTE.......

Seriously, there is a middle ground here. You can take steps to improve awareness, improve diagnosis and treatment of head injuries and concussions, improve equipment, and still maintain the essence of football as a sport.

It's not an either/or situation - football or safety. You can still play football and do everything you can to make the game as safe as possible. (understanding that any contact sport is going to have a risk of injury. ACL, anyone?)

What this situation needs is information - not fear-mongering or hyperbole on either side.

Totally agree with you. As I said before, we can only act based on the best of our knowledge. I am hopeful that targeting and other rule changes, along with baselining and concussion protocols can improve safety without destroying the nature of the game.

Who is actually taking that position? That everyone who played football or suffered any kind of concussion is destined for CTE?

A pretty large proportion of the media coverage suggests this via misleading headlines, and your average public commenter on the articles I’ve read have pretty much stated as much.

I’ve been arguing all along for less unhinged “discussion” of the known facts and the many unknowns. Some of you seem to know everything already which is really impressive.

If we submit this thread for analysis, I suspect a couple of posters might wind up getting evaluated for CTE.......

Seriously, there is a middle ground here. You can take steps to improve awareness, improve diagnosis and treatment of head injuries and concussions, improve equipment, and still maintain the essence of football as a sport.

It's not an either/or situation - football or safety. You can still play football and do everything you can to make the game as safe as possible. (understanding that any contact sport is going to have a risk of injury. ACL, anyone?)

What this situation needs is information - not fear-mongering or hyperbole on either side.

There are a subset out there that have a zero tolerance for perceived risks and threats. Pulling kids out of public schools, avoiding vaccines or western medicine in general, avoiding the ocean, flying, public places, etc. OTOH these same people can rationalize or play down known risks that are real, eg, driving a vehicle to Whole Foods or wherever,or not vaccinating their children, etc. Anxiety over every aspect of life seems, to me, to be a horrible way to live.

The perception of actual risk of many activities is not something we as fearful humans are good at.

There are a subset out there that have a zero tolerance for perceived risks and threats. Pulling kids out of public schools, avoiding vaccines or western medicine in general, avoiding the ocean, flying, public places, etc. OTOH these same people can rationalize or play down known risks that are real, eg, driving a vehicle to Whole Foods or wherever,or not vaccinating their children, etc. Anxiety over every aspect of life seems, to me, to be a horrible way to live.

The perception of actual risk of many activities is not something we as fearful humans are good at.

This is ridiculous, there are people that are more risk averse, but they don’t conform to all of your criteria. Not allowing you child to play football is not as crazy as you try to portray it. Also, trying to belittle their concerns by saying they shouldn’t drive a car is idiotic. Concussions are a real problem in football and trying to ignore it just because you don’t believe it is irrational.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You forgot concussions, which is what we are talking about. Football has a much greater occurrence of concussions than other high school sports. Here is just one study http://ttaconline.org/Document/zxb...rendsinconcussionincidenceGMUCaswell.full.pdf

Here is a chart of the data:
0c73f3a84e9e1197e8f2236a510745c3.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom