Fresno 10-day: 106,108, 107, 104, 102, 103, 105, 106, 106, 105

swingman

Reaction score
Air quality/ozone level hazardous. Not best conditions for Summer workouts.

Can't imagine quality work outs if they hold them completely outdoors. Perhaps down the road, but not right away.

Considering Fresno's average high for the month of July is 98.4º, this is not too surprising.

Doesn't look like they have an indoor facility. So that would mean conditioning early in the morning and/or at night, when it's cooler.

Doesn't look like they have an indoor facility. So that would mean conditioning early in the morning and/or at night, when it's cooler.

So, they will be far better heat acclimated than those practicing indoors. This is not a positive for MN.

There's a difference between mental toughness ... and just plain dangerous. Forcing your players to condition in blazing sun, with actual air temps in triple digits, won't make them tough ... it will give them heat stroke.

There's a difference between mental toughness ... and just plain dangerous. Forcing your players to condition in blazing sun, with actual air temps in triple digits, won't make them tough ... it will give them heat stroke.

Nobody is doing that. Playing in relatively uncomfortable heat and humidity, within reason, builds a level of acclimation. Climate controlled 72 degree living 24 hours a day will not do that.

Tedford is a football genius. He will have his team ready. We will beat them. #RTB

BTW, I have never used RTB before. I guess I'm falling in line. Be a fan nekton! Go Gophers! (I have used that alot.)

Pompous, you're in an argumentative mood this morning! If that's your bag, fine. But I am not going to debate you on every single point, in every post ... :cool:

The Maryland football player who died of heatstroke in June would agree with you if he could. Coaches and trainers have a responsibility to protect their athletes.

I agree with you, but someone posted the average temp this time of year is 98 degrees. I am guessing they are outside working at 6 AM not at 3PM under the blazing sun. Us telling Fresno State when and how to train in the heat is like telling someone in International Falls how to dress in the winter.

Air quality/ozone level hazardous. Not best conditions for Summer workouts.

I landed in Fresno to visit with my baby brother for a whole week in the early 2000s. I flew in from San Francisco on a commuter plane. He lives in Visalia.

The air temperature was 115 degrees! You could see a mirage formed by the asphalt at the edge of the tarmac. It looked steamy. When I stepped onto the ground, the asphalt was squeashy under my feet.

Hydration and sun-blocking are a constant concern as people do die from sun stroke. On top of that, the air quality is so bad at that time. I had a constant sore throat when I was there.

I don't know how those Fresno State football players practice in that kind of weather.

That is in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley orchard country, and they spray lots of pesticides all over. You can smell the pesticides in the air in Visalia when they are spraying. Everybody there said they couldn't smell anything.

The Maryland football player who died of heatstroke in June would agree with you if he could. Coaches and trainers have a responsibility to protect their athletes.

Very likely died as a result of too much too soon (ie first or second day of practice), overweight, and trainers not recognizing a problem early enough. Add in a high dewpoint/humidity day and accidents can happen.

This idea that one cannot exercise, within reason, in temps out of typical office/home range is absurd. Acclimation is a real thing.

Still not nearly as bad as the heat and humidity in Murfreesboro. That's the place where football players melt away.

Wildfire by Yosemite near Fresno is now over 17,000 acres...5% under control...Oregon State had to deal with this last year, smoky air shut down some of their practices/moved them inside, threatened game vs Minnesota...Beavers were unprepared and Gophs rolled them.

Las Cruces (NMSU) 7 day: 103, 104, 104, 105, 106, 101, 100.

Still not nearly as bad as the heat and humidity in Murfreesboro. That's the place where football players melt away.

HA! Maybe Dances4Raiders is out in Fresno now. She can tell them how it's done.

Wildfire by Yosemite near Fresno is now over 17,000 acres...5% under control...Oregon State had to deal with this last year, smoky air shut down some of their practices/moved them inside, threatened game vs Minnesota...Beavers were unprepared and Gophs rolled them.

Las Cruces (NMSU) 7 day: 103, 104, 104, 105, 106, 101, 100.

I’d argue it had less to do with the fires and more to do with them being really, really bad.

That's the story the family is pushing, presumably to set up litigation against the university. I'm quite dubious, considering the high in College Park that day was 83 degrees.

Put the AGGIES on the shady sideline.... take them out of their element... It's a no brainer.
Shouldn't cause any controversy either.

I’m in Fresno right now. It is really, really hot. Today was 106 with 12% humidity. Assuming the Fresno coaches aren’t complete idiots, they’ll practice in the morning and in the evenings. This morning was 75 and right now it’s in the mid 90s. Plenty of time to get work in before it’s dangerously hot.

I’m in Fresno right now. It is really, really hot. Today was 106 with 12% humidity. Assuming the Fresno coaches aren’t complete idiots, they’ll practice in the morning and in the evenings. This morning was 75 and right now it’s in the mid 90s. Plenty of time to get work in before it’s dangerously hot.

Football players in the hotter regions of California practice and play in heat that would make most of you couch surfers puke. Same in TX, Deep South...it’s not really a thing if you’re not stupid about it. Some people/coaches/trainers are stupid.

Pompous ... why are you looking for a fight, on this?

OK, you've stated your opinion very loudly.

Top Bottom